[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the fuck is Cinnamon not an option in Ubuntu's version

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

Why the fuck is Cinnamon not an option in Ubuntu's version of tasksel?
Don't tell me I have to install shit like xorg manually
>>
>ubuntu
>>
there's this cool little ubuntu remix for cinnamon you might've heard of
it's called linux mint
>>
File: debian-installer-tasksel.png (104KB, 1686x1261px) Image search: [Google]
debian-installer-tasksel.png
104KB, 1686x1261px
You can select cinnamon as your default desktop on Debian 8.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/05/debian-8-linuxs-most-reliable-distro-makes-its-biggest-change-since-1993/

At work, I've switched from Ubuntu to Debian for years now.
>>
>>60419922
For some reason Linux Mint 18.0 introduces bugs into Virt-Manager and GNS3. These bugs aren't present in Ubuntu 16.04
>>
>>60419922
Mint is even worse than stock Ubuntu with the new Gnome 3 shit tbfam
>>
Arch, Linux does not have this problem
>>
>>60419944
Debian testing is really good. None of the extra bullshit that Ubuntu or god-forbid, Mint has.

Some of the packages, like Firefox ESR are lame, but it's a minor issue compared to what Ubuntu and Mint especially do. All while being compatible with .debs. Not to mention that it boots waaaay faster than Ubuntu or even Fedora for me.

Only Arch and Gentoo can compete.
>>
Is installing a DE using apt so hard to new g?
>>
>>60420041
No.
Installing xorg, a display manager and a DE, then using startx can be really tedious on minimal versions Ubuntu 16.04 depending on your video card.
It'd rather use tasksel because it's all automatic and I can do it one one go.
>>
>>60419922
Linux Mint is nothing but hot garbage. With Gnome-Mate around there's no reason to consider that piece of shit.
>>
>>60420090
Use this instead https://arch-anywhere.org/
>>
>>60420122
I don't understand why the retards at Arch don't bundle an install script anymore. Can't afford the few extra kilobytes?

What's the point of following the install guide for every single install?
>>
>>60420090
In really confused about your complain, it's all done with 1 (one) apt-get install, and a dm to skip the startx.

However if you're planning to use that minimal version, why not use Debian netinst instead and configuring it during setup to your exact (almost) needs... Ubuntu is just a bridge distribution, it's not so tedious as trying to customize an Ubuntu variant (that's an Debian variant)
>Muh old packages
Move to unstable
>>
>>60420169
I think the point is to not install all the time. Idk why they removed the Beginners guide either.
>>
File: 1344098483491.png (117KB, 1465x1007px) Image search: [Google]
1344098483491.png
117KB, 1465x1007px
>>60420225
Yeah but why not make it optional? What is the point of routinely following a guide just to install a system more than once.

I've bootstrapped and recovered bad grub installs and broken kernels plenty of times already. Seems like nothing more than a really retarded gimmick that does nothing to highlight the other features of the OS. Shame because I love pacman and they have really slick packages but most people don't bother doing the extra step by getting a 3rd party script.
>>
>>60419892
install gentoo
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.