[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can I do a bachelor of computer science at age 24 with no prior

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

can I do a bachelor of computer science at age 24 with no prior knowledge and become competent enough to get a steady job
>>
Yes. As long as you don't feel like you're too old to learn, and you actually enjoy it.
>>
If you're really good at math and have experience with university level math subjects, you'll be fine. If you struggled with high school algebra however, you might want to reconsider your goals.
>>
>>60416093
True if you struggled with algebra, but you don't need to be a math whiz for most programming jobs, even the nice ones. I find myself never ever using calculus or 70% of the math classes I took.
>>
>>60416016
what if I hate computers, but enjoy the feeling of intellectual superiority I get from being able to bang shit out in js?
>>
>>60416131
Then you will fail.
>>
>>60416113
It helps to be a math whiz if you don't want to work as a code monkey you're entire career.
>>
>>60415991
Yes, I know a guy that served in the military. Went back, got a bachelors with a bunch of 18-22 year olds. Smart guy. He's now pursuing a Master's in CS at a reputable university.
>>
>>60416131
i believe thats an awful way to live, do it if you like it, its not like you are 50 years old
>>
>>60416093
yeah I actually lied, I did to an intro comp sci course 2 years ago and have some extremely basic Matlab skills in terms of programming. like really basic.

in terms of math though I think I'm solid there since my other major required shit tons of math and physics. I'm just concerned about my age, feeling old and if ill be able to handle the content.
>>
>>60416131
>what if I hate computers
You should fit right in...
>>
>>60416610
>feeling old and if ill be able to handle the content
The fuck...? Most of your professors will be 30+ years older than you.
>>
>>60416610
Not everyone was fortunate enough to have tech literate parents teach them basic programming when they were kids, friend. I didn't even get a computer until I went to college.
>>
>>60416641
yeah I think its more of an issue with me personally. I put 6 yrs already into my major with two minors and graduated feeling burnt out. gonna be looking for jobs in my field (geophysics) but its tough right now + I feel like this field will be dried up in the next 15-20 years, I don't wanna be downsized/jobless at 40.

figured id do comp science as a second degree lot of my shit will transfer over and won't take too long but yeah concerned with if ill be able to get into it, really tired of being in school.
>>
>>60416113
What if I did bad in geometry/Alg 2 in middle school/high school because I never paid attention in class, never took notes, faked my homework, and never studied once but now I have the motivation to do math?
>>
>>60415991
Yes, absolutely. You could do that at 40.
>>
>>60418392
Meant to reply to this >>60416093
>>
>>60415991
Yeah, but I'd suggest doing some freelance work while in school to pad your resume so it seems like you have more relevant work experience.
>>
>>60418413

this pleases me
>>
>>60415991
>computer science
>steady job
pick one

age doesn't matter though, just be prepared for pain if you're shit at math

if you're just desperate for a job, why not do the self-taught/bootcamp meme?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.