[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

One thing always kept me away from Linux: its ugly user interface.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: 1494656610428.jpg (259KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1494656610428.jpg
259KB, 1600x900px
One thing always kept me away from Linux: its ugly user interface. Now that i'm feeling i've had enough from Microsoft's bullshit i'm seriously considering swiching to it, so I've started doing some reading about it, and whoala, i now know that i could change the way it looks. One of you linux masters can tell me what kind of DE cound be pic related? It's a beauty.
Any other good looking clean desktop enviroment also welcomed here.
>>
File: customization_converted.webm (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
customization_converted.webm
1MB, 1366x768px
gnome is the best, most customizable
>>
>>60414777
The thing keeping me away is no game support. Not Linux's fault of course but if I could play my games on it without needing to spend days setting it up to run them properly and get decent frame rates out of a Windows emulator, it would be my primary OS in a heart beat.
>>
is this some kind of desktop thread?
>>
=w=
>>
>>60414837
I've heard about one stuff: Wine; havent read much about it but I know it helps you run windows based stuff in linux without needing virtual machine or dual boot or any other inconveniences, but maybe im wrong, one of the more knowledgeable guy could tell us more.

>>60414850
and also a question thread, im seriously interested how could i make something similar to pic related, it looks awesome
>>
>>60414908
I've spent a few weeks messing with wine but the game play is unbearable on most games. Best I achieved with it was 28fps on guild wars 2. Mind you I run this on Windows at a static 75fps on the same system.
>>
>>60415018
yeah i had a feeling Wine wouldn't help with the game stuff, but it could with my work/research related software i hope. At least i would get a decent distro with some clean cool design on my laptop and keep my PC with windows botnet, i dont really play games on my laptop anyway. but some lead would be really useful where to search for DE-s etc
>>
>>60414777
>its ugly user interface
what the fuck does this even mean? You can make a GNU/Linux system look however you want it to. Windows is ugly by default, and there's not much you can do to actually improve it either.
>>
>>60415160
>You can make a GNU/Linux system look however you want it to
Except beautiful desu
>>
>>60415160
call me a fag but i think win10 design is quite nice. clean, simple.
>>
>>60414777
That's windows you autist
>>
>>60414777
The picture you posted is from some riced out Windows. If you're into the whole transparency look, you probably want KDE.
>>
>>60415246
good lead, thanks
>>
>>60415246
one question: any distro works with any DE? Ive already downloaded Ubunthu 14.. since i believe it would be an easy first linux distro, would that work with KDE?
>>
>>60415337
Yes, almost every distro works with any DE. Ubuntu is an ok choice.

I don't like KDE, but you might, give it a try.
You can install multiple DEs and try em all out.
I'd recommend XFCE or Gnome for a beginner.
>>
>>60415337
Yes you can use KDE with Ubuntu - just run:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
>>
>>60415337
>>60415575
If you're going for gnome, you almost certainly want dash to panel, unless you like macs, then probably dash to dock
>>
>>60414837
If you want good gaming support, install Lutris which will organize your games for you with no pain of customizing wine stuff.
>>
>>60414777
this guy is in w or wg. reach out to the anon
>>
File: g1T4JvI.png (958KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
g1T4JvI.png
958KB, 1366x768px
>>60414777
Yea, that looks painfully like Windows.

Check out Mint - built on Ubuntu, runs Cinnamon for it's DE - very clean and stylish by default.

The basic DEs for Linux are:
Gnome - stylish, currently on Version 3. Mint Cinnamon is built on this. Mint Matte is built on the older Gnome 2.

KDE - uses the QT windowing toolkit, kinda cartoony to me, but lots of people like and use it.

XFCE - very 'light' DE, clean and simple.

Other DE like 'enlightenment' are kinda niche things, requiring a lot of tweaking.

Linux can run any DE - most of the major distributions have packages for them - you just install them & try them out, usually switching in your logon manager.
>>
>>60415895
very helpful, thank you!
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.