[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, there's no Audiophile general up so I'm going

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: x714RF10B-f.jpg (13KB, 620x378px) Image search: [Google]
x714RF10B-f.jpg
13KB, 620x378px
Hey guys, there's no Audiophile general up so I'm going to have to ask this here:

I just purchased a pair of Klipsch RF10 floorstanding speakers for my gaming PC setup.

I ran them through my receiver and they sound fantastic, but I needed to add a subwoofer to really handle the full spectrum like I want. So I had one option without spending any more money.

My receiver doesn't have a dedicated sub channel and the only woofer I own is the one included in the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 kit, which contains a built in amplifier that can push a maximum 200 watts. The original satellites would draw up to 35 watts at 4 ohms. The woofers' max draw is somewhere between 110-130 watts.

The new RF10 floorstanders I have attached can take a maximum of 75 watts with 8 ohms. My question is: will I ruin both pieces of equipment by using them together?

When I hooked them up last night I played some tracks on very low volume and everything seemed to work, and it sounded excellent. I'm asking this before I turn them up a bit today. Will I cook the built-in amplifier in the sub? Or will I damage the tweeters with clipping? What about both?

Help me, I'm a total noob with speakers. I'm listening to some music at approximately 20% volume right now and it all seems to be working.
>>
I'm currently thinking everything is safe if I keep the volume at <50% or so, preventing the wattage from coming up short. And that is plenty loud enough for me right now.

I am worried that I'll turn them up not thinking about it when I'm drunk at some point and hurt them....

Am I right or wrong?
>>
File: speaker_level_inputs-2.jpg (44KB, 978x499px) Image search: [Google]
speaker_level_inputs-2.jpg
44KB, 978x499px
>>60387151
>Will I cook the built-in amplifier in the sub?
No

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000092TT0/ref=psdc_172568_t1_B0002KVQBA

https://www.amazon.com/Bic-Acoustech-PL-200-Subwoofer-Black/dp/B00OFXV5IO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1494770077&sr=1-2&keywords=bic+america+subwoofer
get any >200$ sub
>>
>>60387766
Thank you for the response.

I am trying to wrap my head around all of this speaker technical jargon, and it's getting less confusing but I'm still not an expert by any means. I am absolutely looking to pick up a new woofer at some point. Those both look excellent.

So really you're saying the only problem I'll have is not getting the full potential from my floorstanders? Using the built in amp will not run the risk of underpowering (damaging) the towers?

While I've got your attention, what receiver would you recommend to power these things plus a nice woofer? I'm realizing that my current set up is going to be temporary if I'm not getting the full strength of these magnificent towers.
>>
>>60387975
>So really you're saying the only problem I'll have is not getting the full potential from my floorstanders?
>Using the built in amp will not run the risk of underpowering (damaging) the towers?
You can control de level of the sub and the lowpass, the sub is powered
Your amp will power your towers, nothing to do with the sub

>what receiver would you recommend to power these things plus a nice woofer?
Any japanese amp or AV amp are good nowadays (yamaha denon onkyo marantz pioneer), don't feel in the vintage meme.

I own SW315 with a RX-V379. If you are poor, the best are PSW10 + TX-8020 or R-S202BL
>>
Okay now I'm starting to understand, maybe?

So each 35w 4ohms channel that runs from the built-in amp on the promedia subwoofer to each RF10 tower will be completely independent from the amp's 130w woofer channel?

And the only thing that is happening is that the RF10s will not get as loud as they could with a more powerful channel from a proper receiver?

So... powering these max 75w 8ohms towers with 35w 4ohms will not damage anything. Can I stop worrying about it until I get a new receiver+sub?

I will probably go for a Yamaha, my parents had one in their living room for decades and it worked very nicely.
>>
can someone explain how ground loops are caused with powered speakers and if a dac (steinberg uk22 mk2) will stop it?
>>
>>60389096

Ground loops are caused by having multiple ground points in your building wiring. It has nothing to do with the equipment you use and it can't be isolated by using a dac.

The only way to make sure you don't have aground loop is to inspect the building wiring and making sure the safety ground (the third leg) of your wiring only connects to a ground source at ONE location. This can be a ground rod, piece of buried structural steel, or a water pipe.

Ideally for normies, this means hiring a qualified electrician to crawl through your attic/basement and check out your electrical panel. This is because besides asking the electrician to look for a ground loop, they can also make sure your electrical is up to code and safe.

However there is really no need to look for a ground loop unless you're getting ground loop noise over your speakers.

http://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/ground-loops-eliminating-system-hum-and-buzz
>>
>>60389341
i am, its a horrible crackling. i was told to use a hum destroyer but that doesnt seem like a good idea imo. so what would the electrician actually be looking for and what can iask him to do?
>>
>>60389402

Ouch that sucks. Have you tried other audio equipment to make sure it's just not a bad amplifier?

If so, then yeah it sounds like you need an electricians help. Ask them to inspect for the following:

- Ground loops
- Backwards polarity plugs
- Bad time delay fuses
- Chaffed wiring insulation
- GFCI compliance

The inspections will cost a couple hundred unless they have a free special going on. Then they can give you an estimate on what needs to be done. Get three quotes from three different companies before going forward.
>>
>>60388580
I think you mean you having one of those subs with speaker wire in, and speaker wire out, right?

And you are concerned that the subs amp will be interacting with the speaker?

That doesn't really happen.
The speaker signal goes right through, the sub might filter it to cut off the low frequencies, but if you're using the speaker wire in/out ports on the sub, the speakers are still being powered by whatever you have going into speaker in on the sub.
>>
Newegg has been having deals on various Klipsch speakers//subs/combos for like the last 8 months.
How is Klipcsh as a brand lately?
How are the Klipshs that Newegg's been selling?
Why they been liquidating so many? Are these old models/B-stock?

Here's they're current sale https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0S6-0033-002A4&ignorebbr=1
>>
>>60389955
(Yes I realize that these are technically monitors rather than speakers but my questions still stand.)

I've also seen them selling a few Polk combos recently. Polk vs Klipsch?
>>
>>60389955
>How is Klipcsh as a brand lately?
they're half good, half bad. a lot of their stuff nowadays is normie-tier shit like their 2.1 systems. some of their stuff is still good, like their Reference line and Heritage stuff, but those are also expensive for their quality. Klipsch seems to be moving into powered stuff lately to appeal to more people
>How are the Klipshs that Newegg's been selling?
no clue, but I'm assuming it's the former category for normies
>Why they been liquidating so many? Are these old models/B-stock?
I'm gonna assume old models

>>60390002
both make good speakers, both make shit speakers. I don't think Polk makes powered monitors though
>>
>>60389506
the inspection alone will cost a few hundred? how much are we talking to fix this sort of problem then? i have an electrician coming soon to wire up my over and some other stuff so ill probably ask him if its possible to do this to.
>>
>>60389542
The woofer on the Promedia 2.1 set has a built in 200w amplifier. The 3.5mm input jack plugs directly into this amp.

As far as I understand, the subwoofer channel is 130w, and the two output channels are 35w each, running through regular speaker wire.

It is on these 35w channels that I have my RF10 towers hooked into, instead of the stock promedia tweeters. So far I have not noticed any issues.

All I'm wondering is whether or not the 35w channels will cause clipping on my new towers. I've got a feeling they will be just fine, having used this setup for a few hours now. But I need to be sure.
>>
Does anyone have the video of that old hipster reviewer pretending sub-$500 headphones cause him physical pain?
>>
OP here, I answered my own question. Turned it up to >60% for gustav holst's Mars from The Planets, noticed a horrible popping noise right as the big crescendo kicked in.

That's enough of that. I set them back up to my actual receiver with 105w channels and the problem was not present on the same track after another listening.

Morale of the story: I'm sure they would have been alright if I had kept my volume <50% but that's just too limiting.

Thanks for responding guys.
>>
>>60392635
That's probably the weak amp clipping
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.