[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm upgrading my windows xp shit to this. Any good way to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

I'm upgrading my windows xp shit to this.
Any good way to backup files from this to transfer to Mint?
Or just select manually whatever shit i want to save?
>>
>>60384605
Yeah, try Rsync
It should be installed on your Linux Mint live environment.
Mount your hard drive, then rsync your Documents/Downloads/Pictures/Videos/Music directories to your external backup drive
>>
>>60384605
Please consider Antergos instead of Mint: https://antergos.com/

With Mint you have to reinstall with every new release and the software is older.
Antergos is rolling release and based on Arch so you will always have the latest software and will never have to reinstall.
>>
File: arch.png (979KB, 650x4376px) Image search: [Google]
arch.png
979KB, 650x4376px
>>60385085
Don't listen to this guy
A new "release" is every two years, and you don't have to upgrade for 4 if you don't want to
>>
>>60384605
>Linux Mint

has worse security than any version of windows
>>
>>60385223
And then you will be running software that is 4 years outdated feature wise.
>>
>>60385223
That comic does not apply to Antergos.
>>
File: fe1znqf.jpg (34KB, 702x395px) Image search: [Google]
fe1znqf.jpg
34KB, 702x395px
Solus looks pretty comfy

>OP asked about file backup, got distro recs
>>
File: 1490709248515.png (169KB, 393x383px) Image search: [Google]
1490709248515.png
169KB, 393x383px
>>60385265
What are .x releases
>>
>>60385085

This nigga knows what's up! Arch/Antergos are the best distros out there. Rolling releases are just awesome, check out Antergos, SUSE Tumbleweed and KDE Neon if you are looking for something bleeding edge but noob friendly.

But if you want to go with a stable Debian based distro Mint or Ubuntu are both alright. Also, Rsync comes installed with Mint.
>>
>>60384605
>upgrading

This may not be the word you were looking for, m8.
>>
>>60385085
Mint let's you upgrade without reinstalling. Also, Mint is better choice for windows refugees than Antergos. I think Antergos and Manjaro are good distributions, but feel incomplete compared to Ubuntu and Mint. The first thing everybody who is anybody does in those Arch distros is install Ubuntu fonts.
>>
>>60384605
Ignore anyone who recommends an arch based distribution. Install Mint or Ubuntu.
>>
>>60384605
Devuan > feren os > ubuntu > Mint
>>
>>60385085
If you want an easy to learn rolling release that doesn't have the cancerous community of arch, I'd recommend Solus.
>>
>>60385085
>tfw can't install any arch based distro on my laptop
No idea why, it just fails to install
>>
>>60384605
Fuck all the other distros, OpenBSD is the way to go.
>>
>>60385085
Don't listen to this guy

and also don't use Mint

any of these distros based on other distros are just buggy memes

get the distro it's based on

in your case that would be Ubuntu, since mint based on Ubuntu, but Ubuntu is based on Debian so there's a fine line there. A key difference is that Ubuntu actually has enough manpower and organization behind it to consider it an independent effort
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.