[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

anyone here ever use 23 and me? seems kinda cool and it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 23.png (165KB, 586x526px) Image search: [Google]
23.png
165KB, 586x526px
anyone here ever use 23 and me? seems kinda cool and it's on sale right now ($20 off). still not sure if it's worth the price though.
>>
>>60369216
It's only worth it, if you're mixed.
>>
>>60369216
It's government's way of collecting your DNA so they can identify you easier in a crime. Avoid giving the good goy their money.
>>
>>60369279
I have a DoD clearance so the government already has my finger prints, DNA, and pretty much any other identifying features so that's not really a factor for me.
>>
>>60369330
Hello agent.
>>
>>60369330
Confirmed CIA african-american
>>
>>60369902
>>60369929
>implying everyone with a DoD clearance is CIA.

>5 million Americans have some sort of clearance, it's really not uncommon.
>>
>>60369216
>paying for jewish tricks
dude come on, you have to be smarter than this..
>>
>>60369216
How do they know which genes come from which place?

I remember reading about one of these tests that compared your genes with those in their database, which were all self-reported (which is bullshit for many reasons).
Is this it?
>>
>>60370280

They dont, but thats not the point of it.

See
>>60370163
>>60369279
>>
>>60369269
Not true
>>60369279
It's a company not the government. FBI Codis database is already pretty big. And if you're suspect in a crime you will likely have to give a DNA test
>>60370280
>How do they know which genes come from which place?
Uhhhh the human genome was mapped in 2001.

>I remember reading about one of these tests that compared your genes with those in their database, which were all self-reported (which is bullshit for many reasons).

They don't test "genes". The assay is a SNP microarray. It has tiny bits of DNA on a chip that will hybridize with your genome that has been cut up to a specific size.

Say for position chromosome1 3000 there is a SNP G which is common in Eurasians and T common in Africans. If you're a nog/mix one of your chromosome1 bits will hybridize to the piece of DNA with the G and the other will hybridize with the T. Each SNP pair they test has a florescent color (one is red the other is green). A computer reads the matrix of all the florescent colors and returns your genotype

23andMe uses a microarray that tests about 500,000 of these SNP pairs.

You're not sequencing the entire genome, instead you're looking at common changes in the population about every 10,000 base pairs in the genome. It's a sampling.

>Things to do after you got your 23andMe

* Imputation

Imputation is where you fill in the gaps 23andMe missed with reference panels. DNA.land can do this for you if you don't want to use the big boy tools

* Promethease Health Reports

Once you impute, you can take the results and get a cheap health report that compares your SNPs to published disease studies for genetic risk. However if you don't understand the statistics of genetics (odds ratios and such) you're likely liable to over-interpret the results

* PCA plots / ADMIXTURE analysis

* Annovar annotation with CADD scores.

You can do a lot with a 23andMe chip, but you kinda have to be a bioinformatician (which I am)
>>
>>60370732
Cont: Some links

>ADMIXTURE
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2011/03/analyzing-ancestry-with-admixture-step-by-step/

play around. If you're 100% Chink or snow nigger, only test on those samples and increase K to find sub-substructure. This is another method to measure ancestry.

>PCA plots etc...
http://www.interpretome.com/

For the POPRES dataset, to recapitulate the results of Novembre et al., use PC1 vs. PC4. (This is pic related PCA)

>imputation of SNPs (you have to give them your data but use a false name if you like)
https://dna.land/

>Lots of different tests, kinda bare-bones interface
https://www.gedmatch.com/login1.php

>Learn about SNPs you find in your genome
https://www.snpedia.com/

>software
http://zzz.bwh.harvard.edu/plink/
>>
File: novembreblogpostfig.jpg (331KB, 1106x1508px) Image search: [Google]
novembreblogpostfig.jpg
331KB, 1106x1508px
>>60370950
Forgot to attach pic
>>
>>60369216
Waste of money

It's not really what you think it is.

Your DNA is compared to others who also submitted their DNA. Your results are based on a non historical biased sample.

It has nothing to do with actual lineage.
>>
>>60370995
>Your DNA is compared to others who also submitted their DNA. Your results are based on a non historical biased sample.
>It has nothing to do with actual lineage.

I'm almost certain they use the HapMap samples which are standard in population genetics.

Now they probably use 1000 Genomes to aid with ancestry.

Subjects were enrolled in HapMap if their grandparents lived in their town (or thereabouts).

There is no perfect historical basis if you really think about it since people have been moving around for centuries.

But there's obvious structure based on geography >>60370979
>>
it's fun, you can see your 5th cousins all over the world.
>>
23 and Me has a privacy policy that allows them to store and share your DNA and any test results from it.

Ancestry's privacy policy explicitly states they don't share it and will destroy it if you ask them to.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.