[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sorry but how do people use only wm's on some arch installation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1494669520082.jpg (19KB, 325x305px) Image search: [Google]
1494669520082.jpg
19KB, 325x305px
Sorry but how do people use only wm's on some arch installation and how. How do they open programs and does the system boot into a bash interface so they need to start it from bash?
>>
Windows key+Shift opens the terminal I believe and you can type in the name of program you want to run. I outgrew the ricing muh efficiency meme. No linux is stable,or optimized enough to compete with winblows sadly
>>
If they have a WM there's no reason why they couldn't boot into a graphical environment. The difference between a WM and DE is that the DE also includes GUI frontends for the settings, a GUI calculator, GUI text editor etc. You can install all of those manually.
>>
>how to use WMs
Keybindings
>how to start GUI applications
rofi
>do you need to start it from a tty shell
You can do that, or use a DM like SDDM or SLiM.
>>
>>60365556
you refer arch so
1. it will boot to login prompt
2. if you have a greeter and it is enabled you will see a gui instead
if 1. you login and startx which looks in .xinitrc for wm or de to exec
if 2. you select wm or de and log in

after that you would usually see nothing (almost)
set wallpaper with feh or pcmanfm if you want
call virtual terminal with W + some key or whatever
etc
>>
>protip
dwm is the best
>>
>>60365631
stability isn't an issue man, the problem is application compatibility, sure Linux installs have their problems, but Windows has just as many issues which people simply got used to.
>>
>>60365556
I use: openbox
Start procedure:
>boot
>sign in
>startx; exit
>alt+y (launches dmenu)
>pavucontrol
>alt+y -> urxvt (size is relative to pavucontrol window size)
>alt+y -> thunderbird
>alt+y -> firefox
>alt+y -> keepassx
And that's about all I need.
>>
>>60365879
why not use the obviously superior Fluxbox?
>>
>>60366004
I've been using openbox for eight years now. I have no fucks left to give for change for the sake of change.
>>
File: 1494623728957.png (18KB, 592x548px) Image search: [Google]
1494623728957.png
18KB, 592x548px
>>60365815
Start x? Isnt that x.org
>>
>>60366048
wayland is unusable in my exp atm
>>
>skip DM
>autostart WM
>WM has its own autostart file
so...?

You don't even need a WM, X is smart enough.

I don't think you know what a DE entails. If you start switching DEs to try to find something pretty, you'll quickly realise all your applications change too
>>
File: 1494642556915.jpg (50KB, 408x439px) Image search: [Google]
1494642556915.jpg
50KB, 408x439px
>>60366242
Why is it?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.