[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> cpus are fragile > you can't just be rough with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: not my i5.jpg (162KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
not my i5.jpg
162KB, 1920x1080px
> cpus are fragile
> you can't just be rough with them
> delidding is hard
> you'll fuck up your CPU
> you won't get any benefit
> there's no point to them
I spent $18 on a delidding tool from eBay, it didn't work for shit, I spent 10 minutes with a craft knife, got my grubby, oily fingers all over it, scratched at least one contact with said craft knife, whacked it all back together, and it runs like a fucking charm, at about 20 degrees below what it was before under load.

What are you knick-knacks on about?
>>
File: 1200730426783.jpg (23KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1200730426783.jpg
23KB, 500x500px
>>60362887
these are the same people that refuse to believe that CPUs will function if you don't clean them with anything less than 98% alcohol. I just scrape off the old paste with a razor and everything works fine. I have built literally thousands of computers without a static strap, don't sweat the small stuff.
>>
>>60362887
Just use a vice next time to slowly push on the IHS, its even easier. I've delidded a few CPUs this way and its easy af. Still its retarted you have to do it so I went with AMD this time.
>>
>>60362926

>I have built literally thousands of computers

I find this slightly hard to believe.
>>
>>60362968
Don't have a vice, never needed one before. Next processor will be a 7700K, so I dunno if I'll do it for that as well.
>>
>>60363029
Industrial computer supplier. Many frequent weeks with over 100 "dual PC in a box" orders.
>>
>>60363029
Why? Maybe he does it for a living, if he only builds two a day and has done for a few years then what he said is accurate.

Also, static straps are pointless unless you're a complete retard.
>>
>>60363054
try it without delid first, most are decent memery aside should be able to hit 5ghz on 50 bucks worth of air and paste
>>
>>60363147
Sick. I'm considering getting an all-in-one water cooling kit though, because why not at this point.
>>
been wanting to do this on my fat ps3, but i'm too scared
>>
>>60363147

Yeah good luck with that.
>>
>>60362887

I will never understand how you morons overheat them.
My old rig that I dumped 5 years ago had 10 years worth of dust accumulated and had no overheating problems. My current rig had has 5 years of dust already and both CPU and GPU idle at 30 and under load reach about 50ish.
>>
>>60363394
let's see, poor people are frugal. they also balk at the idea of spending money on a name brand computer from hp or dell, they think they're the computer macgyver of the trailer park now that they've built a computer, and fueled by meth and hours of lurking message boards set out to delid their cpu's or what not because instead of fixing the window a/c or just quitting meth for at least a week, they could go out and buy a new a/c so they wouldn't have to figure out to keep their "home made" pc running cool
>>
>>60363152
>
i thought the same but i didnt want to worry about a water oriented breakdowns, now that i got my shit settled. going for 3-4 years on this build

i kinda fucked up early on cuz i came in blind, i had a laptop with an i7 on its 4th year and prior to that i had used an old x2 cuz thats all i needed then school, and programming and then photography i needed a pc so after the laptop broke i jumped in headfirst.

my initial build was great but i skimped on paste... and probably could of just resat my initial cooler deep gammaxxx 400 with stock paste. instead i got some notcua paste a reeven justice with 2 fans and now im fucking happy as fucking. i mean overclocking was good before but warm like into the 80s 90s on prime95 with avx now i have to work to hit low 80s under any scenario.

its a solid chip but i dont blame anyone for getting an amd. my shit broke a month before release so here i am lol luckily my shit is all heavily lightly threaded =D
>>
File: wat-small.jpg (11KB, 257x399px) Image search: [Google]
wat-small.jpg
11KB, 257x399px
>>60363277

even with in box paste my shit ran great but hot. ran at 4,7 with 1,175 for ever eventually went to 4,8 with ,1,185

and this is before i redid my cooling and got temps in line

a lidded 7700k is a nice chip
>>
Or just buy AMD and get twice the cores, with half the power consumption and soldered on heatspreader at the same price
>>
>>60363394
i use an overclocked 8320 and encode videos often
the stock cooler can keep up, but it starts to struggle to stay cool once dust builds up to a certain point
>>
>>60362887
>delidding
Enjoy your voided warranty
>>
>>60363394
My processor wasn't overheating. I'm upgrading anyway, so I wanted to see what sort of temps I can get with a delid. If I proper fucked it, no worries, cause I wasn't gonna use it anyway. But because it succeeded, I can now buy my GPU before my CPU/RAM combo.

>>60364975
It's a 4-year-old CPU ya ding-dong. Warranty expired yonks back.
>>
>>60363582
And half the performance outside of synthetic Benchmarks
>>
>>60362887
I've heard stories of delid jobs that go horribly wrong, dead CPUs, etc. You got lucky. Shouldn't have to DELID DIS in the first place.
>>60365659
I give this bait a -4 out of 10.
>>
Retards also say you can't wash components in the sink.
I assume its because someone tried on a powered one and the idea of water+electricity was strongly burned into their minds.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.