[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a way to know which linux OS does my computer support?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1490852448831.png (149KB, 702x420px) Image search: [Google]
1490852448831.png
149KB, 702x420px
Is there a way to know which linux OS does my computer support?
I'm still using Windows XP so I don't know to which one should I upgrade
>>
XP is comfy. Especially the Zune theme for it. Why switch?
>>
>>60362427
look for the lightest linux distros. Pick any of those, if those dont work, then the rest wont either
>>
buy a mac
>>
>>60362427
Just install Lubuntu if you PC is shit. Anything that uses LXDE or XFCE is fine.
>>
>>60362427
https://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=Linux&category=Old+Computers&origin=All&basedon=All&notbasedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&package=All&rolling=All&isosize=All&netinstall=All&language=All&status=Active#simple

Pick your poison.
>>
>>60362427
Install POSReady 2009 (it's XP with a different license), still supported
>>
>>60362427
mint xfce
https://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=28
>>
Post your system specs with Speccy.
>>
>>60362427
Yes.
Most of the distros are gratis to download and you can try it out if you want to.
It takes about half an hour to install, then maybe an hour of poking around, you will know if your computer works as you think it should.
I would recommend one of the ubuntu flavours, I personally prefer ubuntu-mate, but you can pick anything as they are all freely available.
There is no "which linux OS", linux is a kernel where all the hardware management and usually all the drivers are.
If it works with the linux kernel, you can get it to work with any distribution of the gnu/linux OS.
But you can select which modules should be included in the OS and some may have disabled what you need, so for the broadest of audiences, ubuntu works fine.
You could find out how to test if your computer works by finding free software (not just free of charge) for windows and then use the same on gnu/linux.

As long as you are testing the waters, just set aside a few gigabytes for a gnu/linux partition and set the last selected OS to be the default boot option with grub.
This way, you can select at boot what OS you want to use, but you rarely get the wrong OS when rebooting.
>>
>>60362427
Make a live cd and try it out. It will run in ram and won't touch your hard drive until you install it. If it runs live it will be happy on your machine. Try it out. Lubuntu is pretty good on older machines.
>>
Ubuntu MATE or Lubuntu
>>
Depends. Rule of lubuntu is "computers can't be more than 10 years old"
Just post your specs and let the /g/ help you, we might not be getting paid by billionare company, but we sure would like to help
>>
The newer the distro's software, the more hardware it supports. Try a rolling release distro like opensuse tumbleweed or Arch? IDK, you can try anything and see if it works. All distros are basically the same thing in the end, just some configurations and default software choices differ.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.