[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This shit right here kills the loonix fag >We continue our

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 13

File: Multi-distro.png (916KB, 2786x1825px) Image search: [Google]
Multi-distro.png
916KB, 2786x1825px
This shit right here kills the loonix fag

>We continue our partnership with our friends at Canonical to bring Ubuntu to the Windows Store app
>We are also working with the great teams at SUSE and Fedora to bring their Linux distro’s to the Windows Store & Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)
>You will be able to download these distro’s from the store and install them side-by-side on your PC(s)
>You’ll be able to run one or more distro’s simultaneously if you wish
>>
File: 1421974122392.gif (4MB, 400x348px) Image search: [Google]
1421974122392.gif
4MB, 400x348px
>>60345134
I don't use any of these distros though.
>>
>>60345234
Oh, you use one of the standalone Windows Linux apps? Neat. Which one?
>>
Get rid of the overhead by just running Linux
>>
>no Arch
no thanks
>>
>>60345134
>>60345260
>windows
>>>/v/
>>
>>60345260
haha epic maymay
>>
>>60345134
Windows Subsystem for Linux*
*Does not include actual Linux kernel.
>>
File: $_12 (8).jpg (32KB, 354x500px) Image search: [Google]
$_12 (8).jpg
32KB, 354x500px
GOOGLE CHROMEBOOKS LITERALLY BTFO

Being on the Windows Store also means that the distros will be able to work on the education-focused Windows 10S. This could give Microsoft an extra edge in appealing to computer science and engineering students who may want access to the open-source operating system for developing code.
>>
>>60345134
Where is ~/ in these linux subsystems?
>>
File: saintsasha.jpg (389KB, 912x1416px) Image search: [Google]
saintsasha.jpg
389KB, 912x1416px
Someone spoonfeed me.
Assuming I was interested in one of those distros, what are the advantages and disadvantages of installing from the Windows Store vs installing natively?
>>
>>60345406
in the windows user's AppData\local\lxss\home\'username'
>>
>>60345134
can those install run on hardware? for example, use the GPU for calculations, use a parallel port on pci or have it's dedicated network devices? if not then fuck you and piss off
>>
>>60345418
You can trick /g/ into thinking that you use linux while still being a tech illiterate retard.
>>
>>60345418
You won't be running actual Linux kernel. It's re branded cygwin so all the performance and low level benefits provided by Linux are lost.
>>
>>60345447
afaik the current version supports USB so far
>>
>>60345453
it is running the linux kernel version 4.4, configured by microsoft
>>
>>60345480
>WSL provides a Linux-compatible kernel interface developed by Microsoft (containing no Linux kernel code), with user-mode binaries from Ubuntu running on top of it[4] – a Bash shell and command language, with native Linux command-line tools (sed, awk, etc.) and programming language interpreters (Ruby, Python, etc.).[5]
>>
>>60345134
I have both Windows 7, 8 and 10 in virtual machines in my Linux installation. Does that ki'll the wangblows fags?
>>
I use this bash thing in windows 10 everyday
I am still waiting for cron support
once that is done, I am done with installing a Linux distro, because I just use bash and play vidya

it is the perfect combo
>>
File: file.png (200KB, 1717x789px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
200KB, 1717x789px
>current state of this on win10
>>
>>60345134
>Running linux on top of malware
Why?
>>
>>60345541
do apt install nginx to see if it works
>>
>>60345591
you can install whatever you want
and run it in the background
but once you close the window, the process is gone
so basically if you want crontab to work, you need to have bash open on startup
>>
File: nice meme.gif (3MB, 420x300px) Image search: [Google]
nice meme.gif
3MB, 420x300px
>>60345260
Solus OS my friend
>>
File: file.png (142KB, 1807x627px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
142KB, 1807x627px
it's literally Ubuntu
its already available in the current creator's update (no preview release bs)
>>
File: Capture.png (27KB, 564x366px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
27KB, 564x366px
>>60345591
of course it works, it's windows
>>
>>60345134
>Windows can't ignore linux anymore
>HAHAHHA LINUX BTFO XDDDD
It seems you don't understand what is happening.
>>
>>60345640
neat
too bad it's windows
>>
>>60345134
>clear; cat ~/temp/distros/fedora.txt; cd ~/
mmmm someone is cheating here
>>
>>60345654
But they ignored linux, they only use GNU.
>>
>>60345134
>windows can run a bare-bones installation of bash that means linux is over!
nice meme
>>
>>60345675
>Linux 4.4
hmm
>>
>>60345724
Don't be a retard and read WSL specification.
>>
Ok winboys first you tell me how to start X application so it won't look like blurry shit?
>>
File: Capture.png (22KB, 790x614px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
22KB, 790x614px
>he doesn't know how to enable Arch on windows
>>
>>60345742
lol so it's even less useful, great work ms
>>
>>60345134
>screenfetch -A ubuntu|fedora|suse
>dis here shit kills da loonix fag
you have to go back
>>
>>60345134
Here's the problem:
>No Linux kernel
>Most programs won't even work
>Requires usage of Windows Store
>Requiring you to use Botnet 10
>>
File: howtobash.jpg (190KB, 650x1452px) Image search: [Google]
howtobash.jpg
190KB, 650x1452px
go check it for yourselves
>>
File: file.png (141KB, 1545x613px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
141KB, 1545x613px
>the meme is real
>>
>>60345865
>Most programs won't even work
The only programs that don't work are things like shutdown

everything I use linux for "gcc, vim, make" works. all of the linux c headers work, such as epoll
>>
>>60345941
how do you change the hostname? I keep trying to change it, but it reverts
>>
>>60345948
Does docker work?
>>
>>60345962
mmmm I didn't change anything
it is the name of the machine in windows/system
>>
>>60345541
How'd you manage to log in as root? Mine always logs me in as a default user and I have to sudo fucking everything, even screenfetch
>>
>>60345386
>Being on the Windows Store also means that the distros will be able to work on the education-focused Windows 10S. This could give Microsoft an extra edge in appealing to computer science and engineering students who may want access to the open-source operating system for developing code.
>appealing to computer science and engineering students to the open-source operating system
>appealing
Windows Store appeals to no one, not even Developers.

As a first, it doesn't even have Microsoft's flagship of Visual Studio. Maybe that will change but let's not forget its severe lack of Eclipse, IntelliJ, SharpDevelop, Notepad++, Python, etc. I mentioned all these things because these are the bare minimum programs that computer science students would use and they are unable to get them on Windows Store.

As a second, Windows Store contains mostly shovelware. It has not been seen as a worthwhile place to develop for because of the severe lack of interest, plus the fact that Microsoft takes a significant portion of your freedom as a developer in this store.

The fact is, the Windows Subsystem for Linux is a mediocre project that yields very few fruits. Having used it myself, I found that it is impossible to install many applications that would work on an actual Ubuntu installation.
>>
File: Capture.png (32KB, 773x609px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
32KB, 773x609px
>>60345989
I guess. I don't use docker so I don't know what any of this stuff does.
>>
>>60346056
>I found that it is impossible to install many applications that would work on an actual Ubuntu installation.
Like what?
I use it every single day and it works exactly like I'm SSH'd onto a remote machine.
>>
>>60345640
Oh, sweet, i am totally going to use Windows as a webserver and then have a heartattack when it is down due to forced automatic updates.

Faggots.
>>
>>60346078
>I'm retarded
>>
>>60346038
I just did a sudo su, and cleared the screen
>>
>>60345805
how?
>>
>>60346056
>As a first, it doesn't even have Microsoft's flagship of Visual Studio. Maybe that will change but let's not forget its severe lack of Eclipse, IntelliJ, SharpDevelop, Notepad++, Python, etc. I mentioned all these things because these are the bare minimum programs that computer science students would use and they are unable to get them on Windows Store.

((They're)) actually working on it but [spoiler]they had to put telemetry/metadata to each of these because all of you faggots turned off metadata tasks and services[/spoiler]
>>
>>60346807
lol
he just did a screenfetch -d arch or something.
>>
>>60345805
>mom, cancel my meetings
>>
File: 1492974693483.jpg (223KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1492974693483.jpg
223KB, 1200x1200px
>>60345134
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>60346078
>too dumb to disable forced shutdowns
>too dumb to configure a system for toddlers
jesus christ anon
>>
It's great if you want Linux but with ads and spyware and a whole other operating system as bloat.

Anyone who actually likes this is a literal cuckold who will no doubt make excuses to let Microsoft fuck their OS.

This might actually be a good thing for Linux though, Seeing as Windows is already at 90% market share and Linux is less than 2%, Linux has no where to go but up and Windows has no where to go but down. By allowing Windows users to easily test-drive Linux they're going to drive people to the better OS. It's highly unlikely they're going to steal back people who have already abandoned microsoft cuckware.
>>
>>60348380
DELLET THID
>>
>>60345134
> he thinks people use Linux for the terminal
Bet you love NTFS and think it doesn't get any better than that too
>>
>>60345134
Hey look, free advertising.
Nice going, dumb ass.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.