[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tech question /g/. I have Windows 10 installed on an SSD that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 123125.jpg (42KB, 645x484px) Image search: [Google]
123125.jpg
42KB, 645x484px
Tech question /g/.

I have Windows 10 installed on an SSD that I aim to reuse on my new build (new CPU, mobo, RAM etc.). Will I NEED to reinstall Windows, or can I use my old installation with my new system? I upgraded from 7 and have lost my key, also Microsoft does not give you a Win 10 key when you upgrade so I will need to buy a new copy if I wipe my drive.

I couldn't find any info on this online, so I'm posting it here.
>>
From my understanding you can release the key and use it on that new install
>>
>>60324770
>can I use my old installation with my new system
Yes, just run c:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe, click the generalize checkbox, select out of box experience from the drop down menu, and shutdown from the other drop down menu. once the system shuts down the HD is read to transfer to a new PC.
>>
>>60324808
Holy shit. I had no clue Windows had this feature.

Thanks anon.
>>
>>60324770
>I will need to buy
>buying windows
How retarded are you ffs?
>>
>>60324891
Its been around for a LONG time, its what you do after you've configured a image to deploy to computers in corporate or OEM environments, so that the SIDs (technically not needed), WSUS identifiers, and everything else has new unique identifiers. It also has windows reinstall all the drivers as it does with a new install. This will work assuming you dont need to load any drivers for the new hardware during the windows install process. If you do there are ways to work around this problem with a unattend.txt file, if you google around you can find instructions for that because it is a bit more involved then i want to get in to here.
>>
>>60324958
I'm straight edge.
>>
>>60324959
>unattend.txt
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/155197/howto-unattended-setup-parameters-for-unattend.txt-file
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms853144.aspx
>>
>>60324770
Link it to a Microsoft account, then you can transfer it across motherboards safely.

Additionally, maybe your Windows 7 key is in an ACPI table called MSDM. If you're lucky, you can just read it out from there.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.