[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on Vim /g/, why should I use it instead of Sublime

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

File: vim.png (21KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
vim.png
21KB, 256x256px
Redpill me on Vim /g/, why should I use it instead of Sublime or Atom for example?
>>
>>60319071
i'll redpill you on life.
make up your own mind and think for yourself you useless piece of shit
>>
Less bloated and has everything you would need. Not going to lie about the learning curve but after it's amazing.
>>
It's like long term investing. Very low gains at the start but pays dividends in the long run.
>>
>>60319071
The user interface is really good after you learn to use it. Everything else about vim is shit. Just use evil mode on emacs.
>>
>>60319071
forget vim

E M A C S
>>
>>60319071
>Redpill
The human revolution - the Red Pill included - was just another means of robot control over the human populace.
>>
>>60320300
Nice meme
>>
>>60319071
I use emacs for heavy lifting (e.g. programming projects and doc creation)

I use vim for editing config files, shell scripts, and editing anything over ssh.
>>
File: 1492981458062.png (8KB, 218x231px) Image search: [Google]
1492981458062.png
8KB, 218x231px
Just use vintage mode on sublime. Sublime has a god-tier fuzzy finder that lets you do anything you would ever need and with vintage mode you get all the useful key binding that makes vim one of the best editors. Now if you never used vim I suggest learning the basics.

But, I would never use Vim by itself to write code. Just to edit or look through quickly when I'm in the terminal. Also Vim with plugins kills the purpose of vim anyway.

The only right answer is sublime for everything genral (writing code), emacs w/ evil mode for turbo autists, and an actual IDE for anything "enterprise".

Everything else is a meme and a waste of time in the "current year"
>>
>>60319071
>instead of Atom

The redpill is that you can use both in tandem.
>>
>>60319071
EMACS or DEATH!
>>
>Not using VSCode
>>
>>60320558
OP here, that's another option I really love it allows you to set your own terminal and the fact that you can put it underneath your code, comfy as fuck for anything related to web, and given that you installed the right compiler, for compiled languages.
>>
>>60320579
Atom can do that too, see >>60320517
>>
>>60320463

Then when you ssh into a server, you use shit tier nano.
>>
>>60320632
sshfs
>>
File: fatherofgnu.jpg (3KB, 125x113px) Image search: [Google]
fatherofgnu.jpg
3KB, 125x113px
>>60319071
I personally recommend you use GNU Emacs, a small but important part of the GNU system.
>>
Here is the absolute truth on Vim and other text mode text editors.
They're superior because you can configure them exactly the way you want. They're basically frameworks from which you make your own editor the way you want it. People don't talk about them often but there are actually Vim distros. The limitless customization makes them better than GUI editors because you could make Vim perform in the exact same way as Sublime Text or Notepad++, or even full IDEs with all the same features. Then you can take it a step further and add other stuff that only you care about.
HOWEVER. Its a lot of work to build a Vim config. It's very time consuming and can be considered a skill in itself. Give it a try, but during the process ask yourself if you're not just building an imitation of Sublime Text. If that's what you find yourself doing then you may as well stick with what you've been using.
>>
File: 5.jpg (12KB, 352x352px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
12KB, 352x352px
>>60319159

>vim has everything you would need.

Does it have a minimap?
Instant project switching?
Goto anything?
Multiple selections?
>>
File: 1442562421503.jpg (56KB, 570x565px) Image search: [Google]
1442562421503.jpg
56KB, 570x565px
>>60319133
fpbp
>>
>>60319133
fpbp
it's like these fucking kids can't even do a quick google search
but no, "wanana >>>redpill me on this?!?"
>>
>>60321366
>Does it have a minimap?
https://github.com/severin-lemaignan/vim-minimap
>Instant project switching?
Not sure what this is. Though buffers, tabs, and windows can be changed nearly instant.
>Goto anything?
https://github.com/kien/ctrlp.vim
>Multiple selections?
https://github.com/terryma/vim-multiple-cursors
>>
>>60319181
This

You get a good OS with a good text editor. What more do you need?
>>
>>60319071
So you stop being pleb.
>>
>>60319133
This. Stop asking 4chan for advice on recommended movies, music, programs, games. It's far mire difficult to make a choice yourself but you'll end up grown from this experience.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.