[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's stopping you from installing FreeBSD? For me: >Lack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: 1464616249784.jpg (453KB, 1197x795px) Image search: [Google]
1464616249784.jpg
453KB, 1197x795px
What's stopping you from installing FreeBSD?

For me:
>Lack of Atom/VS code support
>>
Been there done that. It's garbage.
>>
Does normieshit like Netflix and Spotify work with FreeBSD? If not, then that. If yes, I'll prolly switch.
>>
literally nothing works on BSD.

I don't want to fuck around with making stuff work any more than I already do with Linux.
>>
>>60314214
Nothing. I'm using Hackintosh right now.
>>
>>60314214
What is Stallman telling Terry?
>>
>>60314334
That's not freeBSD, mactard. Get out of this thread please.
>>
>>60314271
No.
Spotify _may_ work with wine.
Netflix I am not so sure, because of the DRM engine it uses, only using (((google-chrome))) or a specific version of chromium.

PS: I am not a BSD user, BSD-plebeians fell free to correct me if I am wrong.
>>
>>60314356
"Time to take the shots"
>>
>>60314394
But thorazine makes Terry tired :(((((
>>
>>60314429
shh, no tears; only dreams now
>>
>>60314375
Oh well, I'll just stick with Void. I'm not part of the systemd botnet[spoiler], which doesn't exist[/spoiler] and everything works.
>>
>>60314214
I am used to red hat enterprise linux 7.
>>
>>60314214
bhyve is a piece of shit, so until freebsd gets proper virtualization support i'll stay with linux
>>
uni wifi shits the bed on freebsd for some reason, linux works without any problems
it's a shame because i love freebsd but that's not something i can really sacrifice
>>
>>60314672
On your desktop? Are you retarded?
>>
File: cat_at_computer_0280.jpg (188KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
cat_at_computer_0280.jpg
188KB, 1280x853px
>>60314214
LUKS and LVM are too cozy to give up
>>
I prefer OpenBSD
>>
File: 1492810287580.jpg (48KB, 490x390px)
1492810287580.jpg
48KB, 490x390px
>>60314214
shitty wifi card support (ndis sucks monkey ass) and no NetworkManager/nm-applet.

that's literally it's only problem as far as I'm concerned. It's design philosophy of "base system separate from installed software" should be adopted by (GNU/)Linux devs IMO.
>>
>>60314659
there are no spoilers on /g/ kek
>>
>>60316146
Geli and ZFS are superior, though.
>>
>>60316146
FreeBSD's zfs encryption is better and easier to setup tbqh senpai

I use Linux.
>>
>>60317770
                                                                                                                                               faggot
>>
>>60314214
Lack of Windows
>>
>>60314214
good for freebsd users, one less faggot using their OS.
>>
>>60314704
It's one of the newest hypervisors around, the fuck do you expect
>>
Shit driver support. You'd think with a cuck license you'd be able to bet MORE binary firmware, but noo.
>>
Hardware support is shit. Doesn't support Intel integrated graphics even, nor nvidia Optimus cards so you're stuck with some shit driver. My nic is only supported in the very latest builds and it's not even new
>>
>>60318233
Wrong board
>>>/v/
>>
>>60320557
Intel IGPs up to Haswell are supported, as well as all Nvidia cards and all AMD cards up to the HD7000 series. Optimus is irrelevant, you should feel bad for buying a 1337 gaymen laptop.
>>
It's like using Debian 15 years ago. It's a good way to learn if Ubuntu has made you fat.
>>
>>60314214
lack of osx
>>
If you're interested in really learning Unix, it pays to use variants to see the differences and the similarities to really get a handle on how things work.

FreeBSD really lost a lot of love and momentum after the changes to 5, but now 11 is a very featured and stable system. It's not the easiest to handle but it's not the hardest either.

On the subject, if you've got a router PC or VPS, why not give OpenBSD a try?

If your hardware supports it, give it a whirl.
>>
>>60322312
So only poorfags need used freebsd. Gotcha
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.