[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm looking at swapping over to firefox but I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: fflogo.jpg (19KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
fflogo.jpg
19KB, 256x256px
So I'm looking at swapping over to firefox but I'm not 100% on it yet and I have a few questions. Using chrome at the moment.

- Can I sync bookmarks between devices?
- Firefox is open source, so they don't track what websites I visit correct?
- I can make it look like chrome right?
- Does it autoupdate? (OS X)
- What features will I miss swapping from chrome?
>>
File: 1493056717078.jpg (16KB, 185x243px) Image search: [Google]
1493056717078.jpg
16KB, 185x243px
>thinking of switching to firefox
>ever
>>
>yes
>wrong
>yes
>probably, at least windows and loonix do
>dunno
>>
>>60307643
there's no point to switch
>firefox slow sjw shit that uses tons of ram
>chrome slow botnet shit that uses tons of ram
>>
>>60307643
>- I can make it look like chrome right?
one, I have no idea why you'd want that. Chrome looks like shit
two, of course it looks like chrome, they've been trying to make it look the same for years
>>
>>60307720
>contradicting yourself this hard
>>
Just do it. It'll import all your shit and you can sync it.
>>
>>60307643
> Can I sync bookmarks between devices?
Yes it works very well for me (sync between Windows, Linux and Android browsers). Has less issues than Chrome IMO.
> Firefox is open source, so they don't track what websites I visit correct?
That's not necessarily true. Open source means anyone can view the source code and (if license permits) change it. Normally that would mean there would be people looking at the source and making sure no such "feature" is added or that at least that everyone knows about it. AFAIK you can turn off all Firefox telemetry in the settings.
> I can make it look like chrome right?
Almost with FXChrome. You will still have the title bar.
> Does it autoupdate? (OS X)
Don't know, it auto updated on Windows if you had that program installed.
> What features will I miss swapping from chrome?
Not much. Some people say it's slower. Didn't notice it that much, but even Firefox is slower, It's negligible. Maybe
>>
>>60307643
How the fuck do you think it can sync your tabs between devices if it doesn't track what you visit?
>>
>>60307711
Firefox is a CPU hog, and can cripple everything.

Chrome is a RAM hog, but it won't hold up anything usually
>>
>>60308323
Was talking about bookmarks, not tabs. I don't really give a shit if they see my bookmarks desu, just links to uni course pages and stuff
>>
>>60307643
Yes (with Pocket and with Firefox Sync)
Yes but it can't stop websites that you visit from tracking you on its own. It is recommended that you get NoScript for usage with Firefox.
Firefox is very customizable. If you prefer the so-called "omnibox", you can do that.
Only if you want it to.
Pretty much none excepting the fact that Google deliberately shits on Google Hangouts support with Firefox, with exception to the ESR versions.
>>
File: Capture.png (163KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
163KB, 2560x1440px
Anybody know how to fix the top border? It's annoying as hell.
>>
>>60310128
Do what now?
>>
>>60307643
>- Can I sync bookmarks between devices?
yes
>- Firefox is open source, so they don't track what websites I visit correct?
It's open source and they don't track what you visit.

>- I can make it look like chrome right?
It kinda already does by default.

>- Does it autoupdate? (OS X)
Yes

>- What features will I miss swapping from chrome?
Nothing?
>>
>>60310187
The white border at the top when fullscreened. I do not know how to get rid of it.
>>
>switched to Chrome years ago because Firefox put my PC on a halt
>come back to find out that it's the exact fucking thing is still happening
open source magic!
>>
>>60310491
You got something fucked up m8, I never seen that on 4 different machines...
>>
>>60310559
On regular firefox though.
>>
>>60308519
>Firefox is a CPU hog, and can cripple everything.
On your 66MHz i386 CPU it might
>>
You can export your bookmarks, and import them into Firefox on any device (and possibly to / from other browsers, not sure).
Open source vs free software aside, neither of them has anything to do with privacy or what happens to your data. The fact that the source code is openly availably means that if your data was sent anywhere, auditors could tell. In any case, even if your browser itself doesn't share your data with others, other parts of the software you use might.
You can change colors and background images and you can hide toolbars until you're left with nothing but the address bar and the tabs. If that's still too much, use fullscreen mode.
It can autoupdate if you want it to. This is OS independent.
You might miss mouse gestures in vanilla FF if you're into that, although there are add-ons for that. There are add-ons for virtually anything.
>>
>>60307643
>So I'm looking at swapping over to firefox
Don't.
>>
>>60307643
Use Waterfox, it's like FF but with a few small changes that make it much better. You'll forget about chrome pretty quickly, FF is so much better and can do so much more than the botnet.
>>
>>60310526
>have outdated machine
>POS can't run even Minecraft, Office and Firefox with 40 different toolbars installed while watching 50 youtube videos and updating java and flash player every 5 minutes on unpatched Windows 8 all at once
>it's FF's fault

Here's my tale:
>switch to Xubuntu a year ago because Windows put my PC to a halt
>still running smoothly, easier file transfer between phone, laptop and PC, can do so much more much faster on my smoothly running 7 year old PC
Free software magic! (with a few nonfree additions)
>>
>>60311852
>outdated
Man I won't even bother with a dick measuring contest but my machine is updated enough. Not to mention that the state of the machine is irrelevant if Chrome works properly regardless.
I'll grant that not-Windows does help though.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.