[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been considering getting one of these old 8 bit home

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: Commodore-64-Computer-FL.jpg (3MB, 4600x2600px) Image search: [Google]
Commodore-64-Computer-FL.jpg
3MB, 4600x2600px
I've been considering getting one of these old 8 bit home computers from the 80's. I'm just wondering, what kind of these sorts of computers would be easiest to find in Australia and for how much will I expect them to go for? I don't really care about any of the accessories other than maybe the tape drive.

Can any fellow convicts help me out?
>>
>>60307571
Well i'm not an aussie so i can't say...
But look at what was the best selling system of the time in your country.

Like in the US there's not many commodores as there are in most european countries...

Also depends what you're looking for:
Apple 2 and C64 are probably going to be more common then shitty computers that got in the game cause it was popular

(although you may find one of interesting value there in australia)
>>
>>60307633
I've mostly been basing my investigations around the C64 but most my findings for online sales have them going for well over 100 bucks. It was my impression that most of these things would go for under 70 so I was wondering if maybe there was a better choice than paying 100+ dollars for a C64.
>>
>>60307703
There's by far the most software and hardware available for the C64, but 100+ is overpriced unless it comes with a fair amount of accessories and games.

SVI-728 or other MSX-compatible would be another good option if you can find one.
>>
>>60307571
C64 was pretty popular there IIRC, you might find a 64C easily and cheap I guess.
Also it's not that massive of a system that shipping would be out of the question.
>>
>>60307703
I'd say 70 (USD) bucks would be a good price for a 64C with a joystick, floppy drive and some floppies.
Original adapters and cables too of course. But switch out the power brick for the computer itself or at least use a different 5V adapter ASAP when starting to use the system.
>>
>>60308042
Most of the systems in the aussie market seem to be bundles of all the accessories or mint condition machines, neither of which (apart from maybe the tape deck) i care much about. I've mostly been trying ebay or gumtree though.

It seems like the cheapest solution is, ironically importing from the UK, where a lot more singular units seem to be sold. In this case will I need to be concerned about power socket/voltage differences?
>>
>>60308107
>Most of the systems in the aussie market seem to be bundles of all the accessories or mint condition machines, neither of which (apart from maybe the tape deck) i care much about.
A floppy drive would be pretty much the minimum if you won't be using SD card adapter that go for the price that the system itself. Also a few joysticks won't hurt, tape decks are a pretty cheap import but then you would need to record your own games too or buy them, floppy generally just does it fine.
Adapters to write C64 floppies with a C64 floppy drive on a PC are 15 bucks against the 50 bucks of an SD card adapter.

>In this case will I need to be concerned about power socket/voltage differences?
Don't use the original power brick in the first place. Make your own or buy a 3rd party one.
>>
>>60307703
You can thank chiptuners for that, they are buying up C64's for their SID chips, pushing up prices and taking machines off the market.

Your only real non commodore options nowdays (based on what I see at swapmeets around NSW/VIC) seems to be TI 99/4a's and TRS-80's. Sometimes Microbee's pop up, but these are getting rarer, hence more pricey.

Any ideas what OS's or software you want to play with? What are you looking to achieve here? This will influence your decision as well.
>>
>>60308171
>You can thank chiptuners for that, they are buying up C64's for their SID chips, pushing up prices and taking machines off the market.
Depends where you live, getting a C64 in Europe is pretty easy and cheap.
>>
>>60308171
I just want a commodore-esque computer that plugs into your tv and boots to BASIC. I'm not really fussed about lack of game selection, although it would be nice. I just want to be able to turn it on, play around with the prompt and maybe save onto casette.
>>
>>60308242
ZX Spectrum would be the cheapest way to go then
>>
>>60308285
I'm not a huge fan of how gummy that keyboard looks but depends on how low the price goes i guess
>>
>>60308315
Judeing by >>60308242 you don't seem that interested in the first place and probably will get bored with it after a while.
>>
>>60308345
I didn't feel it pertinent to mention but there are a few specific things i want to do with one of these machines regarding the easy hardware access they have, so i'm not just buying one of these machines as a gimmicky toy.
>>
>>60308421
Shoot what are the things that you want, that will make it way easier to help you pick one to focus on getting.
>>
>>60308443
So ultimately would you say it's better to just be patient and check around to see if one's come up cheap or to buy sooner because they're only going to get more expensive?
>>
>>60308483
If you're planning on looking for a few years, then sure.
>>
>>60308421
>I didn't feel it pertinent to mention
I >>60308171 specifically fucking asked you what you wanted to use them for so we could guide you in the right direction, and you're still >>60308483 fucking us around. If someone asks "what are you looking to do", you bet your arse it is "pertinent to mention"

Why start a thread if you're not going to answer those who are trying to help you you shitlord?
>>
I would just get a beige like 90s case and a CRT then put in a sick rig
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.