[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you guys have any interest in a glass mouse pad? Icemat /

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

Do you guys have any interest in a glass mouse pad?

Icemat / Steelseries used to make them several years ago but discontinued them. On OCers theres a ~20 page thread about people that were using a glass cutting board for one, that also got discontinued as well.

I've seen one company in finland that makes them for 40 euro + shipping, ends up being almost $80. I made pic related for ~$18 and was considering making and selling them online.

Would anyone be interested in them for $30-40? Is it even worth my time?

What do you guys use for mousepads? Just the cheap $1 / free cow pads? A desk mat? RGB gamer pro?
>>
>>60304657
>Would anyone be interested in them for $30-40? Is it even worth my time?

What sort of glass?
>>
>>60304667
The one in the pic is an acid-etched 12"x12", I do not believe it is tempered though I am not sure and wasnt willing to shatter this one to check.

Its 1/8" thick, the underside was smooth and has been spray painted / clear coated then added some rubber feet.
>>
nice cargo pants faggot
>>
>>60304851

Not even OP and they're shorts, faggot.
>>
>>60304851
Lol Nice to hear from you again, assuming youre the same person?

I'm a field biologist, they come with the job.
>>
>>60304860
fuck you
>>
>>60304865
Yes it's me lel
How will you counter the noise of a glass mouse pad?
>>
>>60304876
I think that's just a design "flaw" of the products material. Its something you get used to and really isnt *that* bad.

Its by no means as quiet as a cloth mousepad though.
>>
>>60304958
I think setting it on a silicone sheet will solve this
that will be 10% royalty for the idea
>>
>>60304657
are there any advantages to a glass pad over other materials?
>>
>>60305021
muh aesthetics and user experience
>>
>>60305044
so it's just to look cool in battlestation threads then?
>>
>>60305061
yes
>>
>>60305016
I can try this and report back, or even just putting a rubber pad underneath instead of it "floating" on feet?

>>60305044
>>60305021
Longevity is Tue primary reason. Cloth ones last several years, a hard plastic one will last a few more, same with aluminum. A glass one will last 20+ and almost never wear out. Aesthetics comes in a far second.
>>
>>60305083
hadn't considered that. I suppose that would make it worth the price, but I'd just wind up knocking it to the ground and shattering the thing.
>>
>>60305083
If you really wanna do this on a production scale then you should use a sheet of thin silicone. Rubber feet are a minimum to prevent movement and dampen vibration from transferring to the desk.
>>
>>60305109
>wanna
jesus I let that slip through
>>
>>60305083
>>60305109
I tried a silicone baking sheet that I had. I also tried a cloth that I had, and a cloth mousepad.

Covering the entire bottom with a rubber or silicone coating seems like itd be the way to go, it wasnt quite as loud as just the rubber feet, but a lot of the noise production is from the mouse movement itself, not so much the reverb from the empty space under it.

I can get a spray on rubberized thing, like plastidip maybe? That could potentially cover the coloring and stop vibrations and it sliding around?

Alternatively a roll of thin silicone isnt that expensive and would go quite a ways.

>>60305147
Don't worry about it, no one here should take shit seriously anyway.
>>
>>60305147
all good senpai

this isn't /lit/ or anything
>>
File: 4L_sluQ3aPy.jpg (151KB, 400x253px) Image search: [Google]
4L_sluQ3aPy.jpg
151KB, 400x253px
>>60305154
That could also work. Basically the idea is to let the rubber soak up the vibrations and dampen any noise. Perhaps also try applying a thin coat on the top too? Something like clearcoat, to dampen mouse noise.

Is this what you used? Seems like the best thing I can think of, but it looks bad. Although, they won't see it under the black paint so it will be fine.
>>
File: 91ALHnbr0LL._SL1500_[1].jpg (369KB, 1500x1051px) Image search: [Google]
91ALHnbr0LL._SL1500_[1].jpg
369KB, 1500x1051px
>>60305199
I don't think spraying anything on the top would be beneficial, it would just rub off with use anyway and gunk up the mouse feet.

See pic related, its a silicone baking sheet.

https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W1322-Anti-Vibration-24-Inch/dp/B000OQTV2I

Something like that maybe? I would think this would even hold up better than a spray on, though would still need an adhesive.
>>
>>60305228
For the bottom? It needs to be sufficiently mushy.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (64KB, 686x473px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
64KB, 686x473px
Heres an Enotus test on the glass mousepad with the mouse in the OP.

>>60305248
Hm, I don't have anything like in your pic, I can pick up a few different things tomorrow and try a few different options.

Realistically I don't think it will make all that much of a difference though, as I said the majority of the sound is from the friction of the mouse moving along the textured glass surface.
>>
>>60305261
How does that compare to cloth?

I just looked at the link, that looks decent. I believe waffle will work better because the rubber will have more room to displace, while also having small compartments for sound to "escape." Yes, friction noise will be a bitch, but at least the mousepad itself won't geometrically vibrate due to the desk resonating as well.
>>
>>60305320
I actually dont have a cloth mousepad to do a direct comparison!

Pic related is how the feet of the steel series / icemat did theirs, just rubber feet similar to what mine currently has. Maybe its not even worth it, or just a negligible difference to rubberize the whole bottom?
>>
>>60305412
I strongly recommend covering the whole bottom for that dampening factor. Another way you could do it is cut out a rectangle and make a perimeter, that way noise is less likely to escape. Here's what I was talking about.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0713MGRXW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_QsQezb10ZF6Z2
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (14KB, 686x446px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
14KB, 686x446px
>>60305261
steelseries cloth
the smoothness on yours is abysmal
>>
>>60305261
>smoothness good

>>60305569
>smoothness bad

Maybe lower smoothness is better if theyre reporting it in the rating that way?
>>
>>60305588
What is the smoothness of, exactly?
>>
>>60305608
also
>higher DPI is better
>>
>>60305608
From OCers:
smoothness test measures the variation on your polling rate, the lower the better.

>>60305623
dpi is changable though, I wouldnt really compare that for this use
>>
>>60305631
I get ~14% at 500hz, but I don't think that is a good trade-off. The software is flat out wrong on DPI, any gamer worth their shit uses DPI no greater than 500. That's why they have massive mouse pads. Your arm is much easier to coordinate than your wrist.
>>
File: Icemat.jpg (40KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Icemat.jpg
40KB, 800x600px
Have had an Icemat (2?) for probably 13 years or so now. Getting new teflon skates was annoying at first, but buying a roll of 1" thick tape from Amazon has sorted that all out. It was a pretty expensive purchase at the time and one I felt pretty guilty/stupid about it afterwards, but in hindsight it was a worthwhile buy.

Give the mouse pad a wipe down with glasses cleaner and some new tape on the mouse and it's pretty much as good as new.
>>
>>60305704
in the software DPI is based on how far you move your mouse, they base it off the 4" instructed, It shouldnt have much impact on the smoothness test.
>>
>>60305725
Would you mind posting a pic of the bottom of your pad? I'd like to get a good idea of what they did originally before steel series bought them out.
>>
File: This2.jpg (61KB, 814x522px) Image search: [Google]
This2.jpg
61KB, 814x522px
>>60305746
Clear rubberish domes attached to the flat back in picture related positions.

The stands in the picture look exactly like the ones on mine (they're transparent so pick up the colour of the glass).
>>
>>60305704
>any gamer worth their shit uses DPI no greater than 500
this is how i know you're a scrub. any gamer worth their shit has the dpi well up, and software sensitivity at minimum, to ensure any small movement is detected, but the cursor isn't sanic fast
>>
>>60306010
>unironically thinks DPI = sensor quality
>>>/v/
>>
>>60306102
oh, didn't realise there were still shitters around who don't use PMW-3310's
>>
>>60306010
You can do that but it's certainly not necessary
>>
>>60306433
see
>>60306102
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.