[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck did this happen? Was I just being throttled before?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 9

File: NewAdapterComparisons.png (45KB, 409x623px) Image search: [Google]
NewAdapterComparisons.png
45KB, 409x623px
How the fuck did this happen? Was I just being throttled before? I'm using PIA, which is usually slower than my normal connection, but after buying a new wireless adapter and running these tests, I'm pretty surprised.

How did the VPN suddenly outperform my own network?
>>
>>60300088
I'm doing more tests, and it's really hit or miss whether or not the VPN outperforms. I got a few results from the same server, clearing cookies/cache, repeating, etc, and found, at one point with the VPN, 0ms ping, 15 Mbps down, 16 Mbps up. Turned it off, got up into the 80's. Turned it back on, goes to the 70's all of a sudden.

Is this site just full of shit? I don't know if I should trust these results.
>>
File: 1485265360714.png (263KB, 949x531px) Image search: [Google]
1485265360714.png
263KB, 949x531px
>>60300088
>>60300224
>>
Are you retarded?
If you don't get why VPN has different results with speedtest than your real connection.....

Please go back to v or b or wherever you came from
>>
>>60300088

Just spitballing here but could compression on the VPN link cause this?
>>
No VPN
>>
>>60300270
Not why there's differences you fucking shit-for-brains. OP is trying to figure out why his VPN, that would typically decrease speeds, is increasing his speeds on occasion.
>>
>>60300270

>different

One would expect slower speeds via VPN, numbskull.
Here, young Op is getting slightly faster speeds. Something fishy is clearly afoot.
>>
>>60300299
With VPN

These were both to the same server.
>>
>>60300270
>If you don't get why VPN has different results with speedtest than your real connection.....

That's not my question, I'm wondering how the VPN is able to outperform my regular network if it's not throttling-related. How did it manage to increase so dramatically?

I'm starting to think the site is just shitty, I'm doing other tests and they're a bit more consistent with the occasional anomaly like the OP pic.
>>
>>60300299

Oh you work at a university computer lab too?
>>
>>60300314

Different route going to the same speed test server. The route without the VPN was getting congested.
>>
File: real world 1gbps.jpg (93KB, 1162x468px) Image search: [Google]
real world 1gbps.jpg
93KB, 1162x468px
>>60300327
kek, nope residential.

$98 with TV and phone.
>>
>>60300328
It wasn't congested, but yeah it was obviously going through the VPN server first which is further away than my ISP server from the test server.

Getting over 500mbps on a VPN is pretty fuckin good regardless.
>>
>>60300356

If you get over 100mbps give or take on a VPN, you ve a shitty VPN. Considering they are shared with multiple users. I doubt the security of it.

This has always been the trade off with a VPN; Slower speeds for the sake of security.
>>
>>60300336
Wtf where?
>>
>>60300381
It's Private internet access on one of their biggest servers (new york).
>>
File: dat upload.webm (2MB, 1261x631px) Image search: [Google]
dat upload.webm
2MB, 1261x631px
>>60300404
Washington DC area.

Also launched in Boston and NYC areas.
>>
File: Capture.png (100KB, 2088x674px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
100KB, 2088x674px
Did a more thorough test and this is more like what I was expecting. I don't know enough about the Advanced options to know what happened for the drop without the VPN on that first test, but at least it's not kicking my networks ass like before.
>>
>>60300278
This is correct, given the correct compression settings and an end point close enough to the user, it is possible to slightly increase speeds
>>
>they don't know about VPN data compression
and you retards want net neutrality
>>
>>60300670
Remove yourself.
>>
>>60300425
Fucking east coast
>>
>>60301031
Yup, we're spoiled for internet thankfully. One of the perks of high population density and suburbs as far as the eye can see.
>>
Man, I wish I had unlimited 1gps up and down.
>>
>>60301884
most things don't even use it
>>
>>60301884
>unlimited 1gps
>>>maps.google.com
>>
>>60301297
No

One of the perks you're getting is because of the major data centers (Amazon, other tech companies) and other wealthy business as well as three-letter agencies co-located up there.

I had amazing speed at college in Norfolk VA, and I found out that it was really only because we shared a trunk with the Norfolk Naval Station.
>>
>>60300311
>>60300322
>>60300312

>>>/v/
>>
the answer is pretty simple. some VPNs are shitty about such things. PIA is one such VPN. the bandwidth speed test is measuring download speed to your VPN server that you are connected to NOT to your home connection. when you remove VPN then the bandswidth speed test is to your home connection. that is the real speed you are capable of having. some VPNs are not like this. and their servers reroute the data from the bandwidth test site to the home connection. they generally give a slower speed than without VPN.

if you could not figure that out then you do not understand how bandwidth test is taking place. infact you do not understand much about the internet. you can even read about this phenomenon on google search. just type somthing like bandwith test speed VPN etc.
>>
>>60303050
Do you even know what a VPN is and how the internet works?
>>
>>60303079
yes idiot. i have been using VPNs for years. and i have switched through multiple. my first VPN was PIA. and i had read this about it as well. it gave me a HUGE bandwidth on my tests. i believe even IPVanish did the same. this current VPN, which i will not name, that i am using does not do it. it gives me the accurate results.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.