[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people make these stupid distros? For every original

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: Selection_632.png (224KB, 787x634px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_632.png
224KB, 787x634px
Why do people make these stupid distros?

For every original and successful distro, there are a million spinoffs and shit that are the same thing but with more bugs and other problems. Why can't the people who make these distros just contribute to the existing distros to make them better instead of making some half-assed niche distro that will be dead in a year?

Do you think any of the more popular spinoffs will die soon? Like Elementary or Manjaro?
>>
>>60299598
Apricity never had a real community behind it.
Also NO, other popular distros won't die.
>>
>EvilEntity
>>
>>60299598
Any distro with a significant userbase won't die. Elementary and Manjaro both have significant userbase, as does Solus. Even though they're somewhat small, they aren't going anywhere. Which is fine, because if they have userbases it means they're doing something well/different.
>>
>>60299598
Distro concept is mostly deprecated. Neckbeards just haven't heard the shot yet.
>>
>>60300046
Really? The most used server OS family, the thing powering the big majority of the Internet, is dead? Wow, you should tell someone!
>>
>>60300291
He said distro concept, not Linux, you gibbering mong
>>
I'm new to Linux, and I've decided to go for Mageia after the only complaint about it on DistroWatch is that people expect it to die. So I want to save it, but if you're predicting the death of a distro, that's the one to circle around, you fucking vulture.
>>
>>60300046
>Distro concept is mostly deprecated.
and replaced with...?
>>
>>60300582
On /g/ everything is on suicide watch, no matter how popular.
>>
>>60300438
He also said most used server os, that's Microsoft Windows
>>
>>60300650
Win10
>>
>>60300711
Still a distro. Next!
>>
>>60300650
>and replaced with...?
one size fits all systemd/freedesktop
>>
>>60300650
It just werks minimalism and choice
>>
File: 1457479722066-0.jpg (69KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1457479722066-0.jpg
69KB, 1280x720px
>>60300736
>>60300757
That's Manjaro.
>>
There's a million spinoffs because installing software for different desktop environments is time consuming (replacing your gnome applications with KDE applications) , buggy (old and conflicting config files littered everywhere), and has ugly defaults (e.g. cinnamon). Until all desktop software is containerized, this will continue to be a problem.
>>
>>60299598
people making these shitty distros that are based on other distros have nothing to contribute because making a distro like that does not require any coding skills. im sure that there are gui programs that you can use for distro making now.
>>
>>60300582
>Mageia
I haven't heard about that one in a long time, I thought it was already dead.
>>
>>60300650
A distro is basically whatever default package manager and software come with the kernel. You could install Linux From Scratch, choose a package manager and software repository manually, and bam you have a "distro".
>>
>>60299598
>Why do people make these stupid distros?
Freedom. Freedom to do whatever they like and not be a fucking slave to other people whimsical whims.
>Also it is a good way to learn.
>>
>>60300650
A healthy Linux standard kernel, a sane file structure (see gobolinux), plus cross-distribution packaged software for the enduser(s) (see appimages). No need for anything else.
Distros are useless neckbeard tribalism.
>>
>>60299598
And nothing of value was lost.
You don't want to use straight Arch, use Manjaro. You don't want to waste time installing and you are not a faggot use Antergos/Arch Anywhere
>>
>>60300046
>>60300438

Well it's not as if there's going to be a one size fits all Linux that everyone uses.
>>
>>60302759
No need to, If you insist on using distro specific thingies like apt, yaourt or whatever install them yourself.
>>
>>60302802
Yeah at a certain point the only difference between 99% of distros is what comes preinstalled on it. You can make your own install image and based on Debian or Red Hat or whatever, or you can use one made my curators.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.