[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I might be missing something but why is this thing so dreaded

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: whiteboard.jpg (134KB, 780x433px) Image search: [Google]
whiteboard.jpg
134KB, 780x433px
I might be missing something but why is this thing so dreaded here?
Surely if you're even remotely competent as a programmer, you know how to write a simple algorithm in pseudocode?

Is /g/ filled with american "coders" who don't have any formal education?
>>
>>60292862
Yeah. It is really like this.
>>
>>60292862
>Is /g/ filled with american "coders" who don't have any formal education?
>american
It is everywhere now.

>I studied coddling for two whole weeks in a bootkamp, hire me!
>>
It's usually the pressure. Like an exam but now people are watching you.
>>
Wait, /g/ hates whiteboards? Why? They're just practical and universal ways of quickly jotting down text and simple illustrations for yourself and whomever is in the room with you. Yeah you kind of go through markers like candy, but a whiteboard is often the attention getter in a room.
>>
>>60292959
A couple of weeks ago, some non-programmer "coder" said he did not like whiteboard interviews, and /g/ memed about it for a while.
>>
>>60292978
>A couple of weeks ago, some non-programmer "coder" said he did not like whiteboard interviews
Uh why? Nobody's expecting your pseudo code on a whiteboard to be syntax perfect and be accepted by the compiler or run time environment. You're not Bill Gates rolling out to a business meeting with your untested BASIC interpreter on tape.
>>
File: IMG_0140.jpg (102KB, 565x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0140.jpg
102KB, 565x600px
>>
>>60293002
>why?
Why what? Why is a non-programming "coder" afraid of whiteboards? Because they are not programmers, and would get embarrassed when asked to display programming knowledge.

Or why would /g/ enjoy making fun of unskilled "coders" who are intimidated by a blank whiteboard? Because it is fun.
>>
>>60293032
The former. I just don't get why they'd be afraid of having to write out a programming solution to an interview question. Nobody expects your code to be syntax perfect if you're writing it on a whiteboard. The point is that you can explain the gist of solution without googling it.
>>
>>60293048
>The point is that you can explain the gist of solution without googling it.
You must be new. Welcome to /g/! Look up "fizzbuzz". 99.5% of people who apply to programming jobs cannot program! The world is slowly filling up with non-programmers who took a 2-week coding course, and whose skills are limited to basic HTML.

So they cannot give you proper code, pseudocode, or anycode.
>>
>>60293078
>So they cannot give you proper code, pseudocode, or anycode.
So it's like people that complain that they aren't "good with tests"? Yeah, that thing where we test you on the things you know is hard. Just like I'm an amazing artist minus my god awful brush strokes and inability to draw a straight line.
>>
File: 1490716010763_1.jpg (93KB, 919x829px) Image search: [Google]
1490716010763_1.jpg
93KB, 919x829px
>>60292862
started from this dumb thread.
>>
>>60292862

The hardest test I took drilled me on EF6 and asked me to do LINQ pipelines on the fly to query SQL server. If I couldn't machine gun out C# OOP knowledge like idiomatic multithreading then I was out.

Got the job tho
>>
>>60293153
>tfw 6 years wasted in art school and i cant draw a straight line either
Well at least i got my power engineering degree
>>
>>60293447
Doesn't mean you're dumb. It just means you're a shit artist. We all want to be things but can't. I'd love to be able to draw but I was born with a motor skill deficiency which essentially means I cannot draw or pen for shit. I've gotten over most of my problems but I will NEVER have the natural talent and ability to be a proper artist.
>>
>>60292862
I failed a whiteboard test once because I didn't include semicolons.
The interviewer had a real shit eating grin when he told me too.
He wasn't even willing to discuss what I wrote he just moved on and wasted another hour before he showed me out the door.

I should have walked out.
>>
>>60292862
while op == faggot
me.shitpost()
end while
>>
>>60293495
>I should have walked out.
You really should have. Unless your lack of semicolons made it hard to discern statements from each other, that's really stupid. Many new and upcoming languages don't even have semicolons.
>>
>>60293512
>end while
>>
>>60293467
I meant it ironically, as in being able to draw a really straight line by hand usually matters in architecture or teaching mathematics and stuff. Unironically though i was a shit artist because i lacked imagination.
>>
>>60293617
I dunno, you can draw pretty shitty and be pretty good in engineering or architecture today. Most STEM people just use technical drawing programs like AutoCAD.
>>
>>60293629
cant imagine being good in architecture without being able to draw concept sketches desu. but lets end this off topic
>>
>>60293512
What stupid bullshit is this?
>>
>>60293663
You're right, it's totally off topic. Nice to see that there are agreeable and respectful posters on /g/. Anyways, hating whiteboards is retarded. I understand that you can be a competent programmer without necessarily knowing how to bubble sort or do a binary tree traverse off the top of your head, but you should be expected to have this skill if you have a CS degree.
>>
>>60293179
Are you sure that was it? I'm pretty sure the thread referenced about primes under 2 million was a whiteboard thread.
We also joked about fizzbuzz on a whiteboard. After that get stale, we switched to primes under 2 million.
>>
I don't like whiteboards because I find them really awkward to write on
I'm already messy enough on paper
just let me type everything
>>
>>60294017
i can write fine on paper but i fucking hate writing on vertical surfaces and holding the fat as fuck markers

thank fuck for skype interviews
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.