[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TSMC claims that they will finish 5nm development this year.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 09-transistor3.png (79KB, 450x189px) Image search: [Google]
09-transistor3.png
79KB, 450x189px
TSMC claims that they will finish 5nm development this year. I thought 7nm was the limit? Is 5nm the new final limit?

source:
https://www.fool.com/investing/2016/12/14/apple-incs-7-nanometer-path-to-a12-a13-chips.aspx
>>
>>60290309
It's mostly marketing at this point
>>
>>60290309
You know, all we have really seen from process reductions is increased heat, due to lower surface areas meaning lower heat dissipation.

They talk about potential speed and performance increases but what we are probably going to see is just more chips overheating and downthrottling, stuttering and other shit.
There's literally no advantage to going from 14nm to 10nm to 7nm to 5nm in the span of four phone generations yet that is what they are suggesting is going to happen.

I wouldn't even call 14nm in the mobile space mature yet.
>>
File: 1466518672036.jpg (62KB, 625x452px) Image search: [Google]
1466518672036.jpg
62KB, 625x452px
>>60290973
>smaller process means more heat
>>
>>60290384
/thread
>>
File: 1447982538504.jpg (221KB, 650x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1447982538504.jpg
221KB, 650x1000px
Is >>60290973 retarded or pretending?
>>
>>60290973
I kind of understand your point. It seems like """""7nm""""" is just going to be another marketing meme though, so we won't get much denser transistor count.
>>60291022
What's wrong there? The chips get hotter due to less surface you can use for heat dissipation. Overall they may consume less power, but they might still run hotter.
>>
>>60291022
>>60291039
He's actually right. Notice how the nodes are getting taller and thinner, so the overall transistor volume stays about the same.
And since you're packing them closer together, you get temperatures that are harder to control.
>>
>>60291134
But don't the smaller transistors use less energy, thus dissipating less energy by themselves?
Because of that you can't really say it's one or the other cause there'd be some tradeoff.
>>
>>60291404
You're right, but you should also consider what it means to pack things that produce heat tighter together.
>>
>>60291404
From what i remember from uni its about the drain size ,if its smaller it has bigger resistance and gets hotter (as in has a higher temperature in a hotspot). The higher the temperature the lower the current/voltage that the drain can carry. I may be totally wrong though, since i was never any good with electronics, and don't know how different are transistors i an intel cpu compared to a standard FET,so maybe some anon who knows his shit will correct me.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.