[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What am I doing wrong, /g/uys? I bought this 32 Watt T8 Electronic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 20170508_223947.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170508_223947.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
What am I doing wrong, /g/uys?

I bought this 32 Watt T8 Electronic Ballast Shop light (uses 4' 32 Watt T8 Tube Bulbs). I also buy the T8 LED replacement bulbs that are LITERALLY right next to that lamp on the shelf at Walmart.

I take it home and plug the GE T8 LED bulbs into the lamp.

Immediatelly I notice a burning plastic smell.

I try to turn the bulb in tighter, but it still smokes. Wtf guys? It says the bulbs are compatible with electronic ballasts for T8 lamps. That's exactly what this lamp is.

Let me give you some back story, so you can understand my frustration.

Be excited about LED technology. Plan on replacing all the flourascent T12 lights in my house with LED replacements.

Buy 4' T8 LED replacement bulbs that you're supposed to be able to just plug into the lamp without even removing the ballast.

I plug it in and it doesn't even work.

I also bought a T8 electronic ballast light. Plug my T12 bulb into it. And it doesn't work. Realize then that T8 and T12 aren't compatible. But on Amazon you CAN buy universal replacements for T8 and T12.

Anyway, I did everything right with this one. The lamp is T8, the bulb is T8. They both say they're 32Watt. But BOTH LED BULBS STILL SMOKE.

WHAT IS GOING ON?
>>
you bought your shit at walmart. there's your problem.
>>
>>60289400
I knew someone would say that.

Now someone who's not a bigoted sonofabitch.
>>
Start at 0V and slowly raise it
>>
I wouldn't recommend doing fluorescent replacement since it's a bunch of transforming and then long strings of series led's to make the voltage. Sounds like a recipe for disaster and or at least not the best efficiency. The more leds in series the more likelyhood for a problem. Also the long tube would require a stable mount for all the led's as well.

The new bulbs have series led's but much less of them and no transformer and run much cooler at a few watts less for the same light. Maybe go with track lighting of some sort.
>>
>>60289685
How the hell do I do that?

And yes, this lamp apparently is a cold instant start lamp.
>>
>>60289641
>Now someone who's not a bigoted sonofabitch.
It is not about 'bigotry', you are aware that A LOT of shit in walmart is low quality trash, right? There is a chance that the shit you bought might be defective.
>>
>>60290096
shiiiit
>>
>>60288621
Don't use LEDSHIT use fluorescent tubes or buy dedicated LED lighting not this drop in replacement bullshit
>>
Walmart should definitely replace those.
>>
>>60290318
I'm kinda leaning toward it being the lamp itself, not the bulbs.

Also, the bulbs still light up and work when I plug them in, they just start smoking, so I quickly unplug them.
>>
>>60288621
For LED you don't need a jumpstarter, lso you have High Frequency shizzle that can only be replaced one on one with HF LED tubes.

Jumpstarter I mean, a little round thingie, looks like a BIG transistor only you can screw it in and all. LED's have one that does nothing, for the normal lamps they SHOCK it hard for startup.

TL:DR;
RTFM, carefully and ask if you might need a new/different armature.

>non-native english typer.
>>
>buy cheap chinkshit
>it doesn't work
>>
File: Starter.jpg (88KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Starter.jpg
88KB, 800x800px
>>60290945
Okay I googled some:
(used to help a webshop that sold this)
You don't give enough info to tell what went wrong but it's probably in the list:

>LED can't handle your fixture
>LED might be the right size but everything else is wrong (HF{special LEDs needed}, starter{LED starter needed} (pic related) )
>A normal tube can handle BAD Wiring much better than LED
>Cheapcrap, though that tends to just give shit light and/or die within a month, not burn out.

Now burnt through stuff was ALWAYS the result of customers just putting in a LED without checking if they could. They are used to popping in a tube and see if it works, but LED dies if it's not supposed to work.
>>
>>60288621
that one you bought uses an electronic ballast. led direct replacement tubes only work with the older transformer type ballast.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.