[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does Lineage OS differ from android? Doesnt it have all the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: images.duckduckgo.com.png (2MB, 950x712px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.png
2MB, 950x712px
How does Lineage OS differ from android? Doesnt it have all the google components in it? So how can it be free software?
>>
>>60280894
>How does Lineage OS differ from android
it doesn't, it's just yet another useless custom rom that doesn't actually add anything significant
>>
>>60280894
You don't have to install google anything. Basically, you can have a "pure" android system. This of course isn't with reliance on blobs and other proprietary components, but at least you don't have google's dick up your ass. Google is making it so the open-source aspect of Android is dependent on Google services and ecosystem, which is something that shouldn't be tolerated
>>
>>60280924
Is it more secure than android? I mean because i dont trust google and would love to remove all google parts from the system, is it possible?
>>
>>60280960
its no different from any other custom rom in that regard, just choose whether or not to install gapps or not
>>
>>60280955
How can i have pure android? I mean i must install apps through google play etc. And u cant uninstall some basic google software
>>
File: 1493123338671.png (271KB, 480x497px) Image search: [Google]
1493123338671.png
271KB, 480x497px
>>60280894
Lineage OS is an open source fork of stock Android, and it doesn't come with any Google services installed. Therefore it is both de-Googled Android and free software. The only thing non-free about it is the drivers for various pieces of hardware that need to be included so that stuff like cameras and wireless stuff works. You're an idiot.
>>
>>60281164
Doesnt it come with google play? So one is forced to use google. And how else can one install apps than google play
>>
>>60281243
You can install Google services if you want spyware, but you can get apps from F-Droid if you don't want to put your phone into the Google botnet.
>>
>>60281243
>how else can one install apps than google play
https://f-droid.org/
https://github.com/d4rken/reddit-android-appstore
https://github.com/yeriomin/YalpStore
just to name a few
>>
File: 1487616963654.png (345KB, 527x705px) Image search: [Google]
1487616963654.png
345KB, 527x705px
>>60280894
>>/sqt/
>>
>>60280960
It definitely adds great stuff like a good modular theme engine and I think a lot of stuff in the Settings weren't in vanilla Marshmallow, but it's very close to vanilla. Definitely try it out if you're privacy conscious.

It doesn't include Google Apps by itself, you flash them separately if you want.
>>
>>60281322
So if i install lineage os it will format/delete the android which comes preinstalled. or does it install lineage os alongisde the normal android. I would like to get totally rid of the google shit
>>
It's basically as good as the Android OS can get. Doesn't come pre-installed with bloatware or google trash. If you desperately need the playstore for whatever reason then you can install something like micro gapps would be more than enough and use less resources than the stock gapps cancer.

https://github.com/opengapps/opengapps/wiki/Package-Comparison
>>
>>60281370
Completely replaces, so be careful.
>>
File: 1493494445507.png (133KB, 249x240px) Image search: [Google]
1493494445507.png
133KB, 249x240px
>>60281243
It does not come with Google play services at all. If you want them, you install them separately. What part of "doesn't come with any Google services" did you not understand, you dimwitted fuck?
>>
what if the only google thing I really use is gmail?
>>
>>60280894
I tried Lineage OS a while ago, it was shit. Don't use it.
>>
>>60284437
then download gmail.
>>
>>60284437
Install Lineage OS and use the default mail app, or sign in through the browser.

>>60285134
>waaaah it has no app store built in and I want to play angry turds!
>>
>>60280981
Then you can't have pure Android. If you can live with something like F-Droid however, you'll be able to do that.
>>
>>60285134
>I installed pre-release nightlies and expected release-like stability
Neck yourself
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.