[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good morning /g/. Troubleshooting a computer for family and looking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: DSC02496.png (2MB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02496.png
2MB, 1200x900px
Good morning /g/. Troubleshooting a computer for family and looking for advice/confirmation of my belief of what's wrong.

Background on the computer:
>given to family member by their work site's tech office for use in a specialized 'augmented rality sandbox' thing.
>has to meet certain specifications according to the brains over at UC Davis
>Davis recommends the following:
I5 or I7 clocked at least aroud 3GHz
GTX 1060 or better
Current release of 64-bit version of Linux Mint with Mate desktop
Vendor supplied graphics drivers
20gb hard drive
and 2gb ram minimum.
>seems simple enough.
>finally get the desktop this morning.
>see pic related

Well.. this is going to be interesting. And I will share it all with you as it unfolds.

Anyway, the main issue is, about 7 months ago there was a lightning storm that caused a power surge, and prior to that the computer worked, they were simply working out the kinks in the hardware of the sandbox... after that the computer wouldn't boot properly and would black screen, or sometimes get stuck on the mint leaf. And the Tech department has so far not even bothered to work on the computer.. so it got handed off to me.

>Request:
Get it to boot up properly.

>my initial diagnosis:
Hard drive's probably broke.
>>
>>60277897
What's the problem? Hit the power button.
>>
>>60277897
So first thing I've noticed right off the bat, the vga port on the motherboard isn't working. So now I'm thinking the mobo got fried.
>>
File: DSC02497.png (1MB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02497.png
1MB, 1200x900px
>>60277932
VGA on the GPU however works.

However now we have this. time to go into the bios.
>>
File: DSC02498.png (2MB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02498.png
2MB, 1200x900px
>>60277949
Ehhh.... it's at least got an i5 in it.
>>
File: DSC02499.png (2MB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02499.png
2MB, 1200x900px
>>60277975
Ok.. meant to only delete the image but.. whatever.

Sitting on a black screen after messing with the boot order.

Looking for spare USB to try and reinstall mint fresh, though I suspect the hard drive is broke more than ever.
>>
>>60278112
While that torrent's, I think I'll crack open the case and see what I've actually got to work with here.
>>
>>60278261

so gpu is an asus gtx 750 ti.
hard drive is a micron 2.5 ssd
mobo is asus P8H61-M LE/CSM R2.0
>>
nice blog
>>
File: DSC02501.jpg (472KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02501.jpg
472KB, 1200x900px
>>60278601
anyone see any overt issues before I put the panel back on and fire it back up?
>>
>>60278820
looks clear to me
>>
>>60277897
>That mutilated side panel
Go buy them a new fucking case
>>
/g/ is not for tech support
>>
>>60279012
wasn't asking for support, more confirmation than anything else.

Also that side panel couldn't go unshared.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.