[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I convince my dad that his 12 year old imac is a busted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

How do I convince my dad that his 12 year old imac is a busted piece of shit?

He uses my old laptop, which is a busted piece of shit as well. When I tell him he needs a new computer or laptop, he assures me he can fix up the imac to make it run "good enough for what he needs". He is shockingly computer illiterate. Can't perform simple tasks like copy/paste, and is totally unable to differentiate between the internet and his hard drive (they're both "the computer" to him)... I found this out when he asks me to send pictures to family members "off his computer", which I find out are fucking posts on facebook he wants to share.

Anyways he won't let me trash this piece of shit imac. It's fucking hideous. Please help.
>>
Just get him a new iMac
>>
>>60276354
Did you stress that it would "make his computer so fast" ?
>>
He thinks it just needs a "tune-up", btw. He's angry I won't "tune it up" for him.

When I tell him he's better off buying a new computer he threatens to take it to an expert.

Fuck, I don't want him to embarrass himself.

But he won't take my fucking word for it.
>>
>>60276354
>differentiate between the internet and his hard drive
We're full cloud nao
>>
>>60276354

If it works for him and he's familiar with it, I don't see the issue.

Only issue would be if it has security issues and/or the os isn't being supported anymore. Then tell him that. Give him the juicy details of what could happen if his computer becomes part of a botnet doing something nefarious.
>>
>>60276393

He gets cc frauded like every other month as it is lol.
>>
>>60276362

$$$$$$$$
>>
>>60276373

He's actually got an old macbook I gave him when I spilt coffee on it and broke it. I managed to get it working but it's quite the busted piece of shit.

On that thing, since it somehow still breathes after I hotwired the power button which was broken, I offered to put in a ssd and upgrade ram for like 250$, which actually might make the laptop passable if no other hardware issues come back... but he just won't fucking do that.

It's like he doesn't trust my recommendations. Thinks he can always do it for "cheaper" or something.
>>
>>60276354
Is this a Core2Duo? If so, it will still get along. Just upgrade the RAM if you're running some ridiculously low amount.
If it's a G5 it's trash.
>>
>>60276444

Yeah it's a G5.

He also has a 20 year old G3 he thinks can be upgraded....................................

Fuck. The most impressive thing he can do is "KIND OF" read his emails. He doesn't even use fucking gmail. He's on some old busted ass email server. 90% of what he gets is spam. He spends most of his time just looking for messages that aren't spam..

fuck
>>
File: Untitled.png (11KB, 673x146px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
11KB, 673x146px
>>60276495
You can get Core2Duo desktops off Craigslist for $50. Core2Quads for $50-80. i7 2400/2500 systems off ebay for $120, and i7 2600's for $175.
Tell him "The internet says that putting even a penny into a piece of trash is a complete waste." There's over a decade of much better computers out there on the used market. I mean, look at this -- 1 minute on Craigslist. Core2Duo system for $10.
>>
>>60276400

I wonder why....

You could break it?

Not really, just throw something in the boot sequence that makes it hang. "Oh well, dad, guess it finally bit the dust. The ram-micro-computer-controller-fan-thingie-doodle isn't working!"

Or just tell him to take it to an expert if he doesn't trust you. Let him get it done cheaper.

Or just commit some of that cc fraud yourself to get him a new computer.

Good luck, anon. My family does the exact same thing, so I feel your pain.
>>
>>60276432
Maybe you could lend him a better one for a day or something, and then he can decide if he likes it or not, and if it's worth it to spend the money.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.