[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats the most you've ever fucked up while building a rig?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 17

File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Whats the most you've ever fucked up while building a rig? Heres two processors ive absolutely destroyed due to incompitence
>>
>>60264380
plugged an ISA card in
the wrong way around
>>
File: cm-cp5-series.jpg (35KB, 600x318px) Image search: [Google]
cm-cp5-series.jpg
35KB, 600x318px
The worst I did probably was with those Socket A coolers that had no levers or anything but that you had to bend into place with a screwdriver. I lost grip with the screwdriver and scratched the motherboard. Only two tracks broke and I could solder them back into working order, however.
>>
>>60264380
Swapped two semi-modular PSUs attempting to check if one of them was causing issues. Kept the same cables because I didn't think it'd be a problem and I was too lazy to change everything, but turns out there's no standards for those cables and different manufacturers will have different stuff in each pin. Fried a 1TB disk and lost some data, though not much.

Annoying, but at least I learned my lesson. Thankfully it didn't fry my GPU or anything on the mobo.
>>
I've dropped a stack of 4 harddrives. Only a 74gb wd raptor survived
>>
Nothing because I'm not a retard
>>
>>60264426
Those fucking coolers.
Back in the day of metal tab spring tension coolers i broke like 8 motherboards because of these things. Some of them the plastic tab you are supposed to slide them over just snapped. Others it was such a tight fit the screwdriver slipped and scratched the board.
Fuck those things.
>>
Only stuff I've ever broken has been case accessories or fans. Cheap plastic is easy to strip and crack.
>>
>>60264728
>Nothing because I started building computers recently now that computers are super easy to work on.
>>
Never fucked anything with desktops or laptops, just the first time I wanted to clean a computer I made sure to try with an old one (it was a pentium 3 in a c2d era I got for free) I removed the cooler and since the thermal paste cementified around the CPU when I tried to put it back I couldn't see the socket and bent the pins. Nobody cried, it wasn't my only PC I had an athlon. I was like 13 or something.
>>
Fried an old gpu I was using to troubleshoot someone's pc. Turned off the only surge protected extension assuming the pc would be plugged into it (spoiler, it wasnt)
>>
>>60264380
So OP, first of all, unless the CPUs are electrically broken, you might be able to fix those with a small pair of needle nose pliers.

Second, WHY THE FUCK DID YOU MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE TWICE?
>>
my hands shake like a leaf when I handle pinned cpu's and swap them and stuff because im so damn fucking nervous but i've never bent a pin.
>>
I burned up a stick of RAM by not inserting it fully.

I bought it at a computer show, inserted it (badly) that day and was able to play stupid and return it for a replacement at the same table at the computer show the following day.
>>
>>60265305
>I burned up a stick of RAM by not inserting it fully.
Same.
Started getting data corruption, blue screens. Checked the RAM, and only properly seated one side. Was unusable afterwards.
>>
>Back in the day working on boss's rig
>rig powered off but motherboard has power
>remove agp video card
>somehow bracket shorts out motherboard
>fried $300 motherboard
>lesson learned, always remove power completely and press power.l button to drain board before working on anything
>>
>>60265045
seriously ? pcs were always fucking easy to assemble, i've been doing it for more than 20 years now, and i never ruined a part. and i did retarded shit like running some of my parts from a second psu i always shorted manually to start
>>
>>60265349
For me, the computer was slow to post, I started to smell the magic smoke, noticed the saw scorching on the green PCB and copper pads on the edge connector were not uniform (misaligned) and turned it off immediately.

I was glad the memory socket on the motherboard wasn't toast too.
>>
>>60264380
You're so unbelievably incompetent you can't even spell incompetence.
>>
>>60265521
You're so unbelievably incompetent *that* you can't even spell incompetence.

http://www.grammarbook.com/grammar/whoVwhVt.asp
>Rule 1. Who and sometimes that refer to people. That and which refer to groups or things.
>>
File: 5e2.jpg (35KB, 554x439px) Image search: [Google]
5e2.jpg
35KB, 554x439px
>>60264380
>assembling first pc
>Z170-A weighs a fucking ton
>trying to touch as little as possible
>vrm heatsink looks steady
>lift mobo by the edge with thumb gripping vrm heatsink
>feel it bend a little
>oh shit
>bend it back
>bends way more than I expect
>oh shit
working fine for a year now
>>
>>60264380
Pulled a GPU with power supply ON. It made a spark. Nothing got broken though.
>>
>>60265663
>implying I didn't read the entire Chicago Manual of Style when I was in high school
>implying I don't know every rule there is in that book
>implying my grammar is wrong
1/10 made me reply, goy.
>>
>>60265663
lol you're retarded. why the fuck are you trying to apply a grammar rule of pronouns in a conjunction?
>>
>>60264380
forgot to connect some cables
>>
File: 1471808005067.png (114KB, 340x277px) Image search: [Google]
1471808005067.png
114KB, 340x277px
Bought a Kaby Lake Chip instead of Ryzen for gaming.
>>
anyone have the screen cap of the anon that heard about using mineral oil to cool his rig but filled his case with mineral water?
>>
i bought an i5 in 2016
>>
>>60265233
Op here, firstly, ive half built a couple computers in the past, mostly replacing old parts. But never a processor. In this instance i was troubleshooting a juryrigged pc from scrap componets, was trying to narrow down between motherboard and processor being broken. Luckily in my case it was the processor that was already broken since a third processor worked just fine. But the reason they bent is because 1: my dumbass didnt notice the motherboard wasnt compatible. 2: i bent even more trying to fix it.

Also i did it twice because im fucking autistic
>>
>>60265233
honestly the best way to fix them is with a combination of a razor blade and a zebra mechanical pencel (it has a metal tip that the pins fit almost perfectly in, so no need for pliers. the razor blade does a good job of lining them all up after they are mostly fixed straight by the pencil trick) Just an FYI
>>
>>60266901
One of them is completely gone, i broke off a pin. The other one is salvageable, just with alot of time. On too of that its only worth $40
>>
File: 1475691155175.jpg (58KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1475691155175.jpg
58KB, 640x640px
I bought a Titan X Pascal in January 2017.
>>
>>60265445
I've been doing it for exactly 22 years now and they were easy, but not as easy as they are today.
as he above said, those stupid coolers were retarded by design.
>>
>>60264380
>Find two old gaming PCs in a cupboard at work
>One better than the other but both had the same GPU
>Think fuck it, let's try SLI, one mobo says it can do it
>Transfer GPU
>Machine boots up
>Black screen
>Try other GPU, same.
>Try IGP, it works
>Give up, put PCs back in cupboard, forget it ever happened
This was back in 2010 so I can't remember the specs for any of it, I assumed I'd killed both GPUs with static or something. Thinking back it may have been a PSU issue because nvidia.
>>
>>60264380
I bought a Titan X in 2015 with aftermarket cooler and wondered why it went to 100°+ and idled 60°
>Found out the cooler wasn't applied correctly and left 2mm air space between the GPU and cooler
>>
>>60266977
Normal one? How expensive? The old Titans are being sold for 650 € now here. I would still prefer the Ti, one with unlocked power target.
>>
File: 1436123930726.jpg (16KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1436123930726.jpg
16KB, 512x384px
>>60267079
Normal Titan X Pascal, full price. £1099 bongbucks.

The 1080 Ti came out two months later, and the Titan XP came out a month after that.
>>
>>60264380
Was building a rather dated computer (old parts from 2000-2003 in 2008 or so) for dad. I don't know what I did wrong but the PSU smoked very heavily and the 120/230V switch was correctly set. I unscrewed the motherboard and checked for anything that could cause a short which I didn't found.
Put everything back together and used a another PSU, everything was working fine afterwards.

>>60264401
An XT card without metal plate?
>>
>>60267132
Remembers me of something. I bought the first Titan X for 1088 € while I could have bought two 980 Tis one month later.
>>
>>60265685
>>trying to touch as little as possible
>>lift mobo by the edge with thumb gripping vrm heatsink

Motherboards are covered with a lacquer to protect their traces. The only thing you shouldn't touch with your greasy fingers are gold contacts.
>>
File: fugg.jpg (367KB, 2340x1316px) Image search: [Google]
fugg.jpg
367KB, 2340x1316px
I managed to fix it with some tweezers and /g/'s encouragement.
>>
>>60267141
>An XT card without metal plate?
exactly.
>>
File: 1492006524263.jpg (13KB, 261x193px) Image search: [Google]
1492006524263.jpg
13KB, 261x193px
Bent motherboard pins on a already faulty motherboard by accident (put the socket cover on wrong, was already massively stressed out because of the motherboard being a failing piece of shit out of the box and troubleshooting not going as easy or well as I had hoped)

The fuck up actually got me a better motherboard that was twice as expensive through RMA somehow, even though the warranty was void.

Also broke a RAM lever by using slightly too much force, but that was on a different motherboard, it was still useable after.
>>
The power supply cable to the wall wasn't connected correctly to the computer It made the performance poor.
>>
>>60264380
is that thermal paste on the pins?
>>
>>60267307
Can't spot the bent pin or pins...
>>
>>60264380
Notching because I have a job and I make hardware cucks to build my shit for me, full return if any damage occurs
>>
broke a nigger-rigged south bridge heat sink while trying to secure it, but that board was slowly failing anyway so no biggie.
>>
>>60264380
Broke a USB 3.0 header on my Z170 board and now have to use an expansion card for front USB 3
>>
uh about 3 years ago i pulled my gpu without unlocking the safe thing and the plastic that covers the PCIe port came out with the gpu.

And just last week that happended with a SATA port... I was very tired and just wanted to install my new ssd :/
>>
I forgot to turn the psu on? Idk how you retards can't lurk before doing simple shit.
>>
>assembling my first pc
>fuck following guides
>fuck reading manuals
>psu had a cable with a 4pin connector
>it must be for powering the fans!
>connect it
>I killed the mobo
At least I learnt to read the manuals. It was for powering the floppy, in case you're wondering.
>>
>>60264879
this, like putting a finger into a spinning fan, breaking a fin (and some skin...)
>>
>>60269960
some people just need to be taught The Hard Way(tm)
>>
>>60264426
i did the same but broke off more than a few components. somehow it still works with no proplem and i kept using it for years.
>>
>>60264728
this
I miss PATA aesthetics
>>
I've never fucked up on a computer build and I've only done three builds since 2004 and a lot of small upgrade installations between those. Working on my 4th now.

Newegg sent me a defunct motherboard once and refused to take it back despite me noticing it was bad before me doing any shit with it. Never shopped from them again to say the least.

The dumbest thing I ever did albeit still not breaking shit, was use an Intel stock cooler for years.
>>
>>60266832
Same here
>>
>>60264380
i paid $160 for a 4670k in february and bought a 1600 at the beginning of april
>>
My first time putting together a PC with a pre-assembled motherboard/cpu/cooler, I got it all put together and I went to install the OS. When it came to the 'Install OS On Which Drive?' I wasn't paying attention and accidentally installed the OS onto the USB stick that contained the .iso. I just ran with it for a few weeks til I bought an M.2 and did a fresh install.

Second time I put together my own motherboard/CPU/cooler and I was super nervous about seating the processor. I think it was crooked because the CPU failed to initialize. Everyone kept saying 'RMA RMA RMA' but I just took it apart, put it back together, and it worked.

But now I have a cheapo PSU (five year old bronze Corsair) and some cheapo DDR4-2400 RAM hooked up to my pricey mobo/CPU/GPU and it has a bunch of issues. So I just bought a nice 650w gold+ PSU, a nice AIO cooler, and some good Corsair DDR4-3000 RAM to get it running right.

My lessons to any new builder
1. Take your time. I should have set aside a solid 3-4 hours to put it together instead of doing it all at once
2. Don't second guess yourself too often
3. Don't cheap out on some parts and splurge on others, because they might not play well together.
>>
>>60271591
Send me your 4670k.
>>
>>60271662
its currently in my htpc. hopefully i can replace it when the zen apus come up.
>>
>>60271637
if i may add a couple;
- if you're not sure if X plugs into Y, or if it can possibly be plugged in more than one way, check, don't assume
- if minimal force isn't working, check, don't just assume it needs more force. most components these days have a low or zero intertion force
- doesn't hurt to double check everything before plugging it into mains power
- if you need to ask for help, tell people what you did, and provide exact error feedback/messages, not just "it shows an error"
>>
>>60264380
my CPU would not stop overheating and i decided to reapply thermal paste after 6 years of usage

i pulled on the heatsink and the CPU came out with it and it was stuck, the paste was pretty much cement

i tried to pry it off with a screwdriver and it just broke the PCB on the CPU instead
>>
>>60271783
i would have put it back in and twisted it
>>
>>60271804
i tried

i even tried to heat it with a hair dryer to no avail
>>
>>60271815
damn, what did you use?
>>
>>60271823
spoiler: it was the factory paste

im never cheaping out on this again
>>
>>60271827
if it was that hard, you might have had to shear it off
that is, push against the side of the cpu's heatspreader
it's a bit risky, and will probably scratch up the heatsink, but if that doesn't work, nothing will
>>
>>60271869
the heatspreader? that's the metal plate on top right

because yes i also pushed that as hard as i could for hours
>>
>>60271893
i mean with something like a chisel and hammer (relatively gently, of course)
>>
>>60271681
Okay. Then will you send it to me?
>>
>>60272579
sure
>>
>>60264380
You could probably get those working by bending the pins back
>>
>>60264380
> drop of thermal grease hit the mobo socket. (s775 with the nasty contacts) was a pain cleaning it out.
> broke SIMM ram slot when i was 15 because unusual slot design.
> bought a board that does not support the voltages for my cpu.
didnt rtfm
>>
>>60266288
poor crab-o
>>
i had my entire computer setup on a tempered glass table. computer, monitor, everything.

i had a creme brulee torch.

i shot the torch at a portion of the glass .

a few minutes later my glass table exploded, and my poor computer fell roughly 3 feet , one shotting my hard drive.
>>
>>60272881
thats fucking hilarious
>>
>>60264380
Back in the early 2000's when i was a kid i got a hand me down Pentium 1, few months later i salvaged an hdd from a busted win95 machine and tried to plug it in as a secondary hdd. I don't know if i plugged in the wire backwards (if thats even possible) but it made the most god awful screech i had ever heard in my life, the drive was toast.

I think it was before that, I bought a Macintosh 128K? (not sure if it was that model, it had a black and white screen) from a friend for 5$ which he had picked up the side of the road from a local university throwing them out, it had simcity installed on it. I took it apart for shits and giggles to see how it worked. I pulled off what i assume was the hdd motor, it wouldn't come off so i pulled until it snapped off and a ripped metallic band came with it. Kinda regret that one.
>>
>>60264380
Installed a water cooling system on a CPU and GPU.
The GPU waterblock wasn't attached properly, and the GPU melted.
It was a 7950 GT.
>>
Forgot to open the socket lever when putting the CPU in
Nothing happened, because I'm not a retard
>>
File: a.jpg (30KB, 800x794px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
30KB, 800x794px
>>60272940
>if thats even possible
it is in some cases, if you use an IDE cable that both had no outer notch OR blocked pin, it can be inserted the wrong way around
i have seen them before
>>
>>60271474
You just disabled the botnet
>>
>>60272733
>bought a board that does not support the voltages for my cpu

When was this?
>>
Got a nvidia 7800gs as a final gpu for my aging AGP system. Decided to put my universal waterblock on it for muh overclocks. The 7800gs also had an (PCI-e -> AGP) interconnect chip that would run hot, so I made a cooler for it from an old northbridge heatsink. The interconnect chip was a bare die though and it was much softer than a regular gpu die somehow: thus I ended up cracking the side of the die when mounting my ghetto cooler. The card still worked for a while but after some time it started blue screening and eventually it died, taking out my asus p4p800-e deluxe with it.
>>
>>60267307
Same here, make an RMA and get full refund year later
>>
I once almost fucked a cpu because I tried to put it in while the lock was closed and then pushed the lever thing.
Other than that I got thermal paste over everything when I installed a new cooler (forgot the backplate and accidentally put my hand in the preapplied thermal paste while putting it in)
>>
had a pentium 3 running an hour without a fan. the heatsink was not even that hot but it had only win98 running and no other programs.
>>
>>60265759
>>60265767

Back to school.
>>
>>60275648
My Cyrix C3 was working perfectly even without a radiator.
>>
>>60272733
>> broke SIMM ram slot when i was 15 because unusual slot design.

Did this to my friends computer back in a day when clips where made out of plastics.

Felt like shit for days.
>>
>>60264380
You know how VGA cables have to be screwed in and out? One time I ruined the plastic on one of the screws for a VGA connector and it was very painful to screw after that. Other than that, I have been very good about not fucking things up.
>>
File: 0_Fool_Pepe.gif (84KB, 233x533px) Image search: [Google]
0_Fool_Pepe.gif
84KB, 233x533px
My dad didn't like how I would keep my desktop running overnight and during the day even when I was not currently using it. So he starts to just turn it off every time he doesn't see me on it. The really shitty part was he would just flip the power switch on the PSU. After a few months of that my PSU and hdd were toast. In a rage I just told him to throw the whole thing away. I wish I kept my 9800gt though...
>>
>>60275747
Should have been turning computer off by yourself, faggot.
>>
>>60272881
Why not just say butane and it was your crack lighter because there is no special snowflake lighter for fucking cream?
>>
fuck amd and their retarded pins
>>
>>60272881
Anon why the FUCK would you shoot a torch at tempered glass?
You're horrifying.
>>
>>60271538
>The dumbest thing I ever did albeit still not breaking shit, was use an Intel stock cooler for years.
I'm still doing that and having no problems whatsoever. I don't even get why people are complaining about them.
>>
I've never broke a component in 20 years of building computers but once a LiteOn CD drive ejected my windows install CD mid install and the disc flew out like a frisbee.

Technically it's my fault for using a LiteOn drive.
>>
i burned a cable in my case, the one connected to the fan controller, by connecting the fan to both the case and the psu
>>
>>60276842
>Technically it's my fault for using windows.
ftfy
it rejected it in disgust
>>
>>60276864
Linux and Mac was a joke. This was when that plastic bubble mac was out.

Can't imagine how shit it would be trying to use Linux back then, plus I was like 12 years old.
>>
>>60276842
i had two samsung cdrw drives grenade the discs inside of them
>>
>>60264380

I once bolted on a new cooler on my mobo and one nut shorted some traces.
>>
File: 1491627866356.jpg (47KB, 490x452px) Image search: [Google]
1491627866356.jpg
47KB, 490x452px
not my fuck up but about my pc

>be 12
>rearrange desk
>remove vga cable from a monitor(some 14" dell)
>friends asks if he can plug it in
>okay, he usually the clever sort
>he complains that it didn't go in easy
>switch on pc
>blump blink
>monitor is dead

the fucker managed to plug vga upside down
>>
>>60278208
>the fucker managed to plug vga upside down
that's a new one, didn't think that was possible
not only is the shell D-shaped, the middle row of pins wouldn't line up upside down either
>>
>>60276842
i had a liteon drive back in the day that shattered my tiberian sun gdi disk. out of the blue.
>>
>>60278454
if you push it hard enough it goes in. it was Dell metal box case with 486 CPU, it could handle any push
it even had a lock in it.
>>
7-8 years back I flipped the voltage switch on my friend's new PC while he was out peeing.
The fucker was so loud I nearly shat my pants.
The circuit breaker got tripped in the house and I sat there in the dark room while all of his family members ran into the room and asked me what happened.
I told them that the PSU was faulty and it just exploded so they should buy a new one.
>mfw they bought it
>>
>>60279466
What actually happened?
>>
>>60279636
>"I flipped the voltage switch on my friend's new PC"
>>
>>60279649
not the OP but white smoke comes out of the box and PSU gets fried
there's no actual explosion

t. someone who flipped the voltage switch and didn't what the heck he was doing
>>
>>60276802
I hate the way they're designed they pancake with dust easily and have the fans wires near the fan. Temps vary by 20-30 degrees on a near constant basis.
>>
>CPU hasn't had thermal paste changed for probably like 5-6 years
>don't even know what thermal paste actually is, never had any contact with it, never took a cooler of or did any other "repairs" on computer except changing the GPU and plugging/unplugging some cables
>decide to clean out the CPU heatsink as it was getting really hot (although the problem was actually that 550Ti was overheating to complete shit and would crash drivers) and I can literally see a carpet of dust on it
>take it off, see thermal paste has turned into cement
>clean it off with vodka
>don't have thermal paste to reapply
>just slap the fucking heatsink on and use it for a week without thermal paste because I was sick, sitting at home, waiting for a friend to go somewhere out so I could ask to buy me thermal paste
>would shut down under any stress, but would work at 90+C(according to speccy) on idle and not crash, could browse internet and watch youtube
>reapply the thermal paste after the week, used it for half a year, to my knowledge it still should be working

>Core2Duo works without thermal paste
>i7-7700K overheats with proper cooling
lel
>>
>>60264380
Me and a friend ordered parts together last year off of my sister's Amazon prime account. I managed to get by with only cutting my hand on my heatsink, but he fucked up pretty bad

>he goes to insert GTX 1080 into mobo slot
>seats it slightly crooked
>appears like he's having to push quite hard
>tell him to take it out and put it back in straight and evenly
>nah it's fine man
>i look over after I hear a crunch
>he's bearing down with nearly his body weight
>the 1080's tab has broken completely in half and the motherboard is bent, the plastic slot for the graphics card is sticking up about an inch off of the bent motherboard

Has anyone else ever flushed $1000 that quickly
>>
>build mobo+CPU+RAM combo from a friend, because my old build was getting too old for gaming (2 core, DDR2)
>he helps me change the innards as I've never done anything like that
>after changing everything, connecting the cables and all the shit, few hours of work for our little minds in total
>doesn't boot up
>he remembers that you usually have to reinstall windows after changing components
>well fuck me, I had no such plans, I have important(not really) stuff on there
>not that I have a windows install on hand anyway
>he says he'll bring windows CD to school tomorrow
>goes home
>in the next several hours, I, alone, rebuild my old PC, save my shit that I need to USB drives or even CDs, can't quite recall
>rebuild the new one
>wait for tomorrow
>reinstall windows
>everything works perfectly
also put one stick of RAM the other way around on the first build, nothing bad happened
>>
>>60280999
Nope, not that big of a fucking retard

Have cut my hand on my z170 deluxe northbridge heatsink though, they are razer sharp
>>
Back when I first got into building computers, I think I broke some RAM sticks when I tried to do some overclocking. Luckily I haven't broken anything since then. That was about 9 years ago.
>>
>>60281048
I might take out my 212 evo and replace with a simple watercooling loop since I'll be giving this pc to my little brother next year and I'm sure my parents would appreciate it if i "tuned it up" for him first.

Fucker is just going to watch porn on it either way though
>>
>>60281108
>>60281048
>>60280999
I've cut my hand with 212 evo heatsink multiple times(probably up to 5 or so)
I never feel it at first, but after I'm finished fiddling with the computer, I notice a small cut on my finger joint usually, shit's so fucking sharp it doesn't even hurt at first, just like with shaving razors
Clean cut though, so fast to heal
One time I was worried about getting blood inside the PC though
>>
File: tabasco case.jpg (729KB, 2073x2701px) Image search: [Google]
tabasco case.jpg
729KB, 2073x2701px
I imaged a new blank hard drive over the one with all my files on it in 2004, I've pulled AMD CPUs out with the heatsink several times and had to rebend the pins, and I cut two of my fingers to the bone on metal shielding and still don't have feeling in them now. But at least I'm not as dumb as this guy.
>>
broken a few sata headers due to cheap sata cables refusing to unlock, it takes surprisingly little force to remove a header from a motherboard

broke the sata connectors off of a harddrive and a dvd drive also due to cheap shitty sata cables with locking mechanisms, I was able to solder a new sata header onto the drive and it works fine now but the dvd drive would have required modifications to the case, not worth it for a £20 drive

wrote over the first 2-3mb of an encrypted drive with dd before (the boot drive), I was able to make a full backup but some programs were iffy while doing so - lvm over luks (and not the other way around) with the swap before /boot or / or /home might mitigate these issues in the future if you're fast enough

all said and done I got off easier than a friend that managed to bend a (probably data) pin on an intel board without being able to straighten it back out
>>
I incorrectly seated my CPU on my first build and messed up the pins on the mobo's CPU socket. I just played dumb and got an RMA on it and did it correctly that time.
>>
>>60271375
I did this too
>>
>>60264426
>>60264813
I remember those. No, you didn't have to use a screwdrived. Just hook one side in, then slowly lower the cooler in place and hook the other side with your fucking fingers - in those patriarchal times you were supposed to have some muscles in your fucking fingers to work computers.
>>
File: 1434635299171.jpg (459KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
1434635299171.jpg
459KB, 1152x864px
>>60264380
I once pulled my heatsink and the cpu come along as well because of the shitty thermal paste, fortunately the cpu was still working. Pic not related.
>>
>>60264380
Bend the fucking pins back into place?
>>
File: dick power died.png (102KB, 406x229px) Image search: [Google]
dick power died.png
102KB, 406x229px
>>60264380

Burnt a cheap chink PSU (650w) running an HD6970 + Core i7 with 4 ram sticks & 2 hdds.

Was playing LoL at max settings at like 300 fps and the shit went up on fire.

Thank goodness i didnt fuck any of the components, but it scared the fuck out of me.

Only the psu caught a bit of fire.
>>
File: 1488258478912.jpg (49KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1488258478912.jpg
49KB, 300x300px
I liked removing that gunpowder from cap gun ammunition when I was a young boy. I hid it under my keyboard, so my mother wouldn't find it.

One day I got angry at a game, so I picked up the keyboard and slammed it against the table. The gunpowder exploded and left a massive white stain underneath the keyboard.
>>
>>60281048
I bought a QNAP NAS and had it for years and one day it wouldn't boot.
I ended up getting a new equivalent motherboard but didn't replace it right away. A few drunken nights later, I decide that I was going to fix the fucking thing.

I try to be meticulous about taking it apart while still drunk but the thing is like a chinese puzzle and the MB couldn't slide out easily-- you had to take the whole chassis out and separate all pieces.

I cut my hand all up on the unfinished metal edges inside of there. I know that there's still blood smears on the chassis.

I was still drunk (I started drinking more beers) but I got it working.
>>
I squashed a £300 i7 into a motherboard socket which was the wrong one (LGA-2011 in to 2011-50 or whatever, can't remember). Real stupid moment, I was wondering why it didn't align and just thought fuck it and closed the cage clamp thing on it before getting nervous and taking it out. Probably fucked the socket pins but I sent it back to Amazon, amazingly the CPU still works fine.

Also related to this when I got the right motherboard I scratched some of the circuitry from the anchor points so it wouldn't boot, luckily Amazon took that back as well.

It was my first build on my own and it seems a complete fluke that it actually works.
>>
>>60284575
>just thought fuck it and closed the cage clamp thing on it before getting nervous and taking it out. Probably fucked the socket pins but I sent it back to Amazon, amazingly the CPU still works fine.

I built a PC years ago during sandy bridge (1155 LGA). I went to close the cage on the CPU on the instructions but it resisted a lot. I spent 20 minutes verifying the CPU is correct with the motherboard socket type, orientation, etc...

I ended up just saying "fuck it" and closed the cage, and heard an awful crack like I cracked the die. I didn't dare open it and just kept putting it together. It's still working.
>>
>>60264380
Bought a Phanteks PWM fan hub for my new EVOLV ITX. It wouldn't even power on, no fans, no lights, nothing until I removed it.
>>
>>60284692

Amazing, it's so nerve racking assembling expensive fragile seeming parts taking all the precautions yet you can just fucking snap them in the wrong way and they still work.
>>
>>60284692
Yeah, this is the normal first experience with LGAs. Having the male end on the board makes a lot of sense, but OH GOD THE NOISE.
>>
itt: retards
>>
>>60264380

I work in a datacenter installing and maintaining servers for some of the very large cloud providers. Seen some fucked up shit some of the newer techs have done.

However, the worst thing I saw was one of our corporate management types touring the facility trip and spill his coffee in a way that it splashed an entire rack of servers. Yes, there is a strict policy of no liquids or foods but he didn't abide by it because he is high up on the corporate foodchain.

About 14 of the 20 dual E5-2650v4 servers had to be pulled off the rack and have parts replaced in some form or fashion. The rumor mill says they did make him pay for it out of his paycheck as well.
>>
>>60285146
>out of his paycheck
Guy's making some serious dosh if that's one paycheck.
>>
>>60279889
>they pancake with dust easily
I've only had to clean mine from dust perhaps twice in the five years I've used it.
>>
>>60264380
i fucked up my fingernails working molex connectors
>>
>>60276906
>This was when that plastic bubble mac was out. Can't imagine how shit it would be trying to use Linux back then
That's pretty much the time I switched to Linux. Fun times.
>>
>>60276062
Have you had a creme brulee before, Anon?
>>
>>60285240
tits or gtfo
>>
>>60284930
>>60284937
I remember assembling a 586 back in the day, and the socket top slid when you opened/closed the lever and it worked fine.

I get why the CPU sockets use pads instead of pins, so now there are no little pins to bend accidentally, but do we have to almost crack the CPU to mount it correctly?

There must be a purpose for requiring such an extreme amount of pressure though...
>>
Bought a multi-voltage AC adapter for a laptop because the stock one died. Was supposed to leave it on (I think) 19v, but I left mine higher and ended up melting the cap on the power board.
Twice.
>>
>>60264380
>he calls his computer a "rig"
laughing_girls.png
>>
>>60285240
I lost 100% of the skin on my fingers from a molex connector.
>>
>>60264570
This should be illegal
>>
Some kid came to me to fix his build once. Put the baste in the socket.
>>
It was the year 2000 or so.
Get to build my first PC.
Works for a week then noboot.
Get the machine to where I bought the hardware.
Guy fucking laughes his ass off "Who the fuck built that?"
I had screwed the motherboard directly on the case.
Still wonder, to this day, how I ever managed to get the graphics card to connect.
>>
>>60266832
Thats not too bad. I did the same wet from a Prebuilt Lenovo with an amd Athlon x2 255 to a i5 6600k
>>
>>60264570
i did this and lost my 2TB disk. Was super sad but it gave me an excuse to buy another SSD
>>
>>60271637
>3-4 hours
Holy shit nigga you work fast. A full build from unboxing everything to finishing the cable management and ending with it being presentable has taken me 5-8 hours
>>
>>60287987

I just got finished with build number 3 and it went like silk with no major hangups. (issues were getting the heatsink backplate on in the first build and getting the board to line up with the i/o shield properly in the second since I was terrified that even touching the bare board would fry it from static.)

I still got lazy on cable management though, once everything works I find it hard to fins reason to go back and redo everything to make it nice and neat.
>>
>>60288077
I did build #2 about 2 months ago and it took me 5 hours. My only real issue was an hour alone was spent getting the mobo connections organized because the map of it was fucking worthless
>>
>>60265305
I broke the mobo. A capacitor died at least. Was an old pc and had a replacement so didn't care.
>>
>>60271637
Usually air coolers are better than AIO/CLC (closed loop cooler, some ppl bitches about the AIO term)
>>
>>60264380
Dropped my newly built PC in front of some buddies during a little LAN party. I was lucky enough to have it survive. It fell about 3 feet.(desk height, more or less) Never brought my PC to a LAN party again, and my friends still joke around with it to this day.
>>
>>60266832
Same. To make matters worse, I bought an i5 6400 and a bullshit silent cooler that wasn't even for my mobo.
>Mfw I could have bought the i5-6500 with the amount of money I spent on the fan.
>>
>building gaming computer for neighbor's bratty asshole of a 12 year old. First build for non-family where I'm actually getting paid to build it and not just reimbursed for the parts.
>installed processor, put on stock heatsink, (I didn't get him a K chip because I didn't want him fucking around with overclocking and blaming it on me building it wrong if he fucked it up), mounted board in case before I realize that I forgot to close the cpu retention lever/plate.
>try to carefully work the heatsink off, it does come off but takes the processor with it, bending two pins on the board.
>attempt to bend them back, fuck it up and end up bending more.
>tell kid's mom that the board was defective and I'll need to RMA it, actually buy another board of the exact same model.
>build with new board, everything goes as planned but even with being paid I still lost money replacing the board I fucked up.
>Still have it in my room where it serves as a reminder to me.
>>
>>60281301
>bought AIO
>took out haetsink
>cpu came out with it
>pry cpu out with screwdriver
>no bend pins
>didnt want to seat the tower down properly and work on it
>try to place the cpu back in
>wont go in
>force it in
>still won go in
>finally seat the tower down to work at it properly
>literally just drops right in with the correct orientation

I don't deserve to have such good cpu shit

I also over clock my cpu by setting it to 1.5v and 4.06ghz and left it there

so far no crash or anything yet but the feeling it might happen soon is kinda scary
>>
>>60276062
sorry anon , you're a fool :*(

https://www.amazon.com/Culinary-Torch-Brulee-Kitchen-Cooking/dp/B013MQ0ELS/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1494307778&sr=1-4&keywords=creme+brulee+torch
>>
>>60264380
>destroyed
nigga thats a few bent pins on a processor, you can easily fix that in 30 minutes
I fixed about that many pins on a z97 mobo the other day no problem, and fixing pins on a mobo is 100x harder.
and that's not incompetence, that's just mental retardation
>>
>>60269393

Bottom left?
>>
>>60264380
Nothing. How do you manage to fuck one thing up twice?
>>
>>60264602
HDD get fucked up if you drop them?
>>
>>60264380
When installing my new ryzen rig with a experienced buddy of mine we kind of fucked around with the AM4 socket. The CPU cooler which is kind of a universal thing did not in any case completely fit over the whole CPU socket, it just kind covers 2/3 or so. We tried rotating it and all but to no avail, this fucker is just simply build that way apparently.

Well it runs and all with no issues but this isn't the case with all AMD sockets right?
>>
>>60289820
Hell yea they do. If the read/write head touches the platters its RIP your hard drive
>>
File: 1493883132032m.jpg (58KB, 1024x675px) Image search: [Google]
1493883132032m.jpg
58KB, 1024x675px
>14
>father showed me how to build a computer
>lets me help him with one of his client's computer
>need to replace the cpu
>detach the cooling block
>forget to unplug the fan cable
>take the cpu out
>want to put take out the block
>slips off my hand because still plugged
>block hits the cpu socket

That was 6 years ago, I still feel bad about it. At least it was a cheap computer.
>>
>>60289851
There should be adapter brackets.
>>
>>60285146
That guy wins the dumbass award of this thread.
>>
File: 1486296803667.jpg (152KB, 640x720px) Image search: [Google]
1486296803667.jpg
152KB, 640x720px
>>60285146
>i'm too important for rules!
>oh shi--
classic.
>>
thought i fucked up hard a few times but reading this thread makes my fuck ups seem like nothing, you people are fucking braindead
Thread posts: 173
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.