[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to put a fan on the back of my case where the GPU is to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: itek.jpg (194KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
itek.jpg
194KB, 1200x900px
I want to put a fan on the back of my case where the GPU is to suck hot air out, what do i secure it with? nothing permanent since i might put other PCI cards at some point
>>
This should have been in pcbg but the only type of fan that really goes in PCI expansion slots are those blower style abominations. They're cheap, usually shittily built, loud as fuck, and don't really move much air.

Beyond that, GPU fans that are blower style like those, will be sucking in air and exhausting it out the rear of the card, they're their own self contained heatsink. Fans that are traditional open air ones, are sucking up from the bottom and exhausting out the various sides blowing "up" onto the components into the rest of the case.

So if you put a blower card, you'll be fighting whatever cooling system is on your GPU now unless you reverse the direction of the fans.

Stock coolers on most GPU are typically sufficient enough. If they aren't, you probably have a thermal interface problem, or you are overclocking to the point you need to start looking at liquid solutions. What are you doing that you need a fan there. An exhaust would fight your GPU's cooler.

You are better in increasing your intake capacity to feed more cooler air to the GPU faster and help the cooler work more efficiently.
>>
>>60261569
my card is open air, not reference model
>>
>>60261614
That's what I was saying it really doesn't matter whether it's open air or blower style the fans are still moving air into the GPU not blowing out from the fans. What are you wanting to gain from adding a fan? Like I said intake would do you better if you have an open front or bottom intake.
>>
>>60261635
nigger what, shit have been living in darkness this whole time, i always thought that gpus fans work on the same principle cpu fans do and blow hot air away
>>
>>60261784
Nope they're always sucking in unless you have some special snowflake GPU that reverses flow, but every single fan I have ever seen, when it is in operation, uses the fully open side of the fan for intake and the side with the spars/supports as the exhaust. Look at your GPU. What side of the fans do you see? I bet they're the open side with no obstructions facing outwards. It's pulling in toward the card.
>>
>>60261964
yea, seems like im a dumbass i have no idea how i managed to build my pc without fucking something up
>>
>>60261981
Well what makes you want to put a fan in do you just feel it's too hot or we're you thinking it would improve airflow simply
>>
>>60262020
i would like to improve airflow as much as possible i'd like to do some mild oc on my card without shelling out for cooling blocks, i have a strix 980 and while it does keep cool i want to have it as cool as possible
>>
>>60262042
Yeah just add intake and exhaust fans to your case.
>>
>>60262175
i have some but im not sure they are enough, i have 1 in the back and 2 in the front
>>
Get an evercool Fox 2 PCI turbine
>>
>>60262190
Add a top exhaust or two maybe. Get that hot air out ASAP
>>
>>60262229
yea thats a good idea, thanks
>>
>>60262222
>>60262241
This is those blower things I was originally referring to. Nothing but loud and hardly effective.
>>
>>60262297
yea i saw, thanks for your help
>>
>>60261381
Oldschool trick is that most 80mm fans can be rigged up to fit. If they have rubber fasteners like Noctua or w/e they can be put right on in between the slots.

Rest of the thread reeks of underage. Don't use those garbage fans like retards >>60262222 are recommending.
>>
>>60262427
allright thanks for the advice, i think a friend has some 80mm fans i'll take one from him and see if it fits
>>
>>60262427
>>60262297
The Fox-2 gets pretty good reviews
It's a double slot turbine pushes way more air than any blower GPU fan.

57% 5 star and 21% 4 star
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119066
>>
File: ziptie.jpg (62KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ziptie.jpg
62KB, 1000x1000px
>>60261381
For a non permanent setup I would probably work with zip ties. There seem to be enough holes around the target mounting area to attach a fan in that manner.

>pic related
>>
>>60261381
Zipties maybe, with a couple of pieces of rubber to act as standoffs.
>>
>>60261381
There was a Cooler Master full tower case that came with an attachment like that, I forget the name. I know 3DGAMEMAN did a review on it so you can check his archive.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.