[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do any Winfags here run AD in their home environment? It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: MMC.png (24KB, 256x256px)
MMC.png
24KB, 256x256px
Do any Winfags here run AD in their home environment?

It's great being able to log into any computer on the network and have near identical environments and the ability to add a new computer at any time.
>>
I don't think most people on /g/ have enough time (& money if legit AD) to set up AD and the computers around their house

Also you need to reinstall most OSes of PCs you buy

So I guess it's just too bothersome
>>
I'm trying it out. Currently using it for the roaming profiles and group policy stuff. Seems to be working well enough.
>>
>>60256510

So that's a yes... You do run AD in your environment?

>>60256545

Yeah Roaming Profiles are awesome. Group Policy Preferences are also great; Ensures mapped drives, printers, ~~rice shit~~ like wallpapers, login screens, etc are all updated
>>
>It's great being able to log into any computer on the network

How many computers are on your network? How many you use on a regular basis? And what do you use each one for?.
>>
>>60256510

It literally takes about an hour to setup AD by the way. You install Win Server, add the role and you're ready to go.
>>
>>60256619

An hour just to set up?. That's longer than it takes to install windows.>>60256619
>>
>>60256661

1 hour with win installation included
>>
>>60256460
Woah, is that Longhorn minimize/maximize in that icon?
>>
>>60256460
thats stupid
why bother

>It's great being able to log into any computer on the network
>WHY?
also, you can do that without AD
>>
I'm not some kind of OS fanboi or anything, but if you're running so many windows devices in your home that running AD actually helps, you've got too many windows devices. One or two is more than enough, then you should have a couple of macs and a linux box or two.

AD makes sense for offices but not for home
>>
>>60260155
>Both of my PCs
>My Laptop
>Wife's PC
>3 Kids w/ Laptops
>HTPC
>Fileserver

And that's not even counting the homelab stuff
>>
>>60256460
>Do any Winfags here run AD in their home environment?
Yes, albeit with Samba rather than WinServer because I'm too lazy to actually figure out where I can get ws2k16 without paying.
>>
>>60260220
Too much winshit. Kids should not be given windows machines, they'll just get infected with a ton of viruses and you'll spend every weekend cleaning up the mess. Windows is for adults, get macs for the wife and kids.
>>
I used to back in the day.

I'm a senior systems engineer and I only work with Linux these days, but when I interview people I ask about their home servers. If I was hiring windows engineers and you told me about your AD setup at home, you will greatly increase your chances of getting my vote to hire.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.