[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do most cases mount the motherboard vertical. Why don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: Deepcool_STEAM_CASTLE_02.jpg (96KB, 765x824px) Image search: [Google]
Deepcool_STEAM_CASTLE_02.jpg
96KB, 765x824px
Why do most cases mount the motherboard vertical. Why don't all cases mount motherboards horizontal?
>>
try to fit in an e-atx like that

it would be thicc
>>
because vertical motherboard increases the fps
>>
To save desk space?
>>
>>60255512
Large footprint. you can't access the back of the mobo with a horizontal case without taking it out entirely.
>>
progress bars will progress faster because gravity
>>
>>60255512
That's fine for mITX boards but ATX and larger are too wide/long for that.
>>
Are there a ton of these cases for relatively cheap? Or are they all super expensive due to being presumably a niche thing?
>>
>>60255512
because supply/demand
>>
>>60255512
just put your case horizontal
>>
If you put the board sideways the capacitors are vertical and don't work as well because of the effect of gravity in micro electric circuits
>>
>>60255512
Desk space doesn't make sense, lots of 90s PCs had horizontal cases with the monitor on top.
I think the real answer is cooling. A horizontal case has a much wider layer in which hot air can stagnate at the top. The CPU heatsink is poking into that layer causing it to transfer heat inefficiently. The graphics card also stick up near the ceiling, the top is hotter than the rest of it and components up there could get damaged over time.
In an upright case the only area that might stagnate is around top front. Since that area usually has an optical drive which puts out very little heat, it doesn't matter if that small amount sticks around for a while.
>>
File: product7.png (434KB, 483x640px) Image search: [Google]
product7.png
434KB, 483x640px
Damn, I really love corsair RGB cases!
They're like the RGB kings of the pc masterrace lol.
>>
File: mage.jpg (384KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
mage.jpg
384KB, 1600x1200px
>>60255512
Because horizontal cases are passe'
>>
>>60256575
hard to put fans on the front with all the buttons and drives there

>>60256538
increasing monitor sizes and weights probably contributed as well, pushing them off the case top and then desk space became an issue
>>
>>60256575
I need to find a really nice beige pizza box and sleeper it
>>
>>60256538
>Desk space doesn't make sense, lots of 90s PCs had horizontal cases with the monitor on top.
The difference is those cases were comparatively thin, while modern cases need to be much thicker to accommodate big CPU coolers and GPUs.
>>
>>60255728
There's not really a lot, Thermaltake do one which isn't really any more or less expensive than your usual large "enthusiast" case

It's a niche with no benefits (like almost all alternative case layouts). It's a thing you get because you think it looks cool.
>>
Because of rice.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.