[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do some programs (talking of Windows) give the "this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: guy.jpg (60KB, 599x449px) Image search: [Google]
guy.jpg
60KB, 599x449px
Why do some programs (talking of Windows) give the "this program must be run on 8bit/16bit/32bit/whateverbit system bla bla" error while others (like a PSP build from ninety's) boot up smoothly even 20 years later? And how can I avoid these incompability issues across different OS's when programming and does the language has to do with this?

Btw I am making a game that works all the way from Win95 to modern Windows OS.

Also sorry, I didn't find the stupid questions thread.
>>
>>60230679
>Btw I am making a game that works all the way from Win95 to modern Windows OS.

*I'm planning to make
>>
Oops... looks like I triggered the autosage.

Well damn
>>
>this program must be run on 8bit/16bit/32bit/whateverbit system bla bla
these occur in only a few situations, namely;
- trying to run a windows program in DOS ("this program requires microsoft windows")
- trying to run a DOS or 16bit windows program on 64bit windows (64bit windows drops NTVDM, required for DOS/16bit windows software)
- trying to run 64bit software on 32bit/16bit windows (forget the error specifically, but it won't run)

if you want to make a game work on windows 95 and up, you'll want to target 95, and test on everything else you want to support to ensure compatibility
this basically means limiting yourself to functionality and libraries that function on windows 95 (and up)
it will need to be 32bit as well (windows 95 is 32bit, and every later version of windows still supports 32bit software)
>>
>>60231040
oh, another solution is to target a system which has emulators for all the platforms you wish to support
for example, you could make a game for DOS, and ship it with DOSBOX for platforms that don't natively support DOS games
or even an interpreted game engine like SCUMM (the emulator SCUMMVM has ports for every platform under the sun)
>>
>>60231040
ps. targeting systems as old as 95 will impose other limits as well, for them to make sense
for example, it makes no sense for a game targeting windows 95 to require over 500M ram, as windows 95 does not handle over 500M ram itself, so it will never actually run in windows 95, even though it technically should
not to mention, any machine where windows 95 makes sense to run on, will be very low end by todays standards, making a game that only runs well on say, a core2duo, wouldn't run on any normal windows 95 box
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.