[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Brand new PC >Took the heatsink off after applying it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: r4jQ5dj.jpg (83KB, 600x600px)
r4jQ5dj.jpg
83KB, 600x600px
>Brand new PC
>Took the heatsink off after applying it for the first time to re-adjust things.
>Thermal paste is now fucked, idle temp is 15C higher
>Take heatsink off again and apply some 2 year old "cooler master thermal compound"
>Idle temp still 10C higher than it was with the factory-applied stuff

wat do

pic related, the cooler came with pre-applied thermal paste that seemed to work extremely well; quickly returning to an idle temp of 30C after running benchmarks on a i7 7700K @ 4.8GHz
>>
Get new paste
>>
did you completely clean off the old paste?
>>
>>60230324
Get new, good thermal paste. Noctua nt-h1 is my goto- not the absolute best, but affordable and almost as good. Scrape off the old shit, clean the CPU and heatsink. Clean it good.

Put thermal paste on CPU. (pea method is best imo) put cooler on cpu. Done.
>>
>>60230324
lap
>>
>>60230324
First mistake was getting a AIO cooler
2nd mistake was using old and expired paste
Use rubbing alcohol to clean both CPU and Cooler and apply some new paste
>>
reminder to put one big drop of thermal paste in the middle and not to pre-spread it.
>>
>>60230730
> expired paste
That's not how thermal paste works. It may harden when exposed to air but if it's soft enough to apply and spread when squished, not crumble, it's fine.
>>
>>60230324
>7700k
Your problem isnt related to paste my dude
>>
>>60230783
Not big, pea-sized.
>>
>>60231368
this, you will need to delid anon.
>>
How has nobody posted the msi webm yet?
>>
>>60230703
>Scrape
I use rubbing alcohol and qtips to remove the old stuff
>>
>>60230324
Dude, just clean it off with 90% alcohol and reapply a higher quality paste.
>>
>>60232482
>>>60231368
>this, you will need to delid anon.
Also intel are saying not to overclock 7700k.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.