[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to learn C++, tell me an easier book that those from Deitel.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: Feautered-image.png (23KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Feautered-image.png
23KB, 300x300px
I want to learn C++, tell me an easier book that those from Deitel.

>Inb4 you need to learn trigonometry, boolean algebra and summoning zalgo first

Dude, you didn't learn speaking learning conditionals first, you did it saying 'mama' and 'daddy' so btfo.
>>
>>60228276

What languages do you already know?

Kindof nuts jumping into the OO deep-end.
>>
Stealing the thread. I "know" basics of C++, Python, Java and C#. What's some fun stuff I can do with these? How do I begin creating simple desktop programs?
>>
>>60228276
Stanley B Lippman
>>
>>60228756
>How do I begin creating simple desktop programs?

Kek, visual basic.

You dont start with a GUI, you start with program functionality.

Try using python to sort an endless pile of files. Or do some SQL database connectivity. See if you can do something worthwhile before you slap a front end on the damn thing
>>
>>60228276
>Deitel
WTF who recommended you that book?
That is worse the C++ Programming language book by Bjarne.
>>
>>60228276

Nobody learns C++. They learn a domaim specific subset of C++. What do you want to use it for?
>>
>>60228276
TheCherno on youtube.
the series is just getting started but its great so far. weekly upload I think.
>>
>>60228799
Is it the book with the ant? Because all the programming books with the ant are garbage. Whoever wrote those should be shot, along with their family, neighbours, and teachers.
>>
>>60228276
i used C++ primer too """""learn""""" c++
>>
>>60228825
Lol i follow him too.He is good.
I am not getting time out of my current 8-5 day job.
Amazon interview tomorrow. RIP my personal project.
>>
>>60228859
primer is best
>>
>>60228276
if you already know concepts of programming and only need to learn the syntax, I can recommend you SoloLearn, which is basically only good for learning syntax anyway. Same goes for Derek Banas’ videos on YouTube (his channel name is his name).

Alas I’m not very knowledgeable as regards beginners books in English, but if you speak French, you can take a look at Openclassroom’s courses.
>>
>>60228922
http://www.charleshouserjr.com/Cplus2.pdf
This, yes?

>1400 pages
Heavy stuff.
>>
>>60228276
i'm currently what I would describe a beginner-mediocre c++ "dev". I'm learning a bit of opengl and making a pretty shoddy but complex 2d platformer with c++.

if you already know another OO language then just dive right in and learn from the countless mistakes you'll encounter along the way (especially if you don't know about pointers vs references). A good way to start is to take an app/program you've made in another language and try to replicate it line for line in c++. That way you'll instantly see the difference in syntax and more importantly in how the language works. If you ever try converting from java to c++ you'll instantly see where they differ in terms of the way the data structures function and how to access them (think vectors vs arraylists). You might even end up scratching your head for hours about why a certain void function isn't changing the values of it's arguments when you perform an operation (a quick youtube video on pointers vs references will solve this for you. hint: c++ arguments are passed by reference).

otherwise, there's no short cut around it. learning to speak takes years. learning to eloquently string a sentence together can take more than a decade. hence, your analogy doesn't really support your argument. if you want to learn c++ from scratch with no previous OO experience and don't want to spend a decade you're gonna have to start by learning the theory, and a lot of it. or maybe learn java first and do what i mentioned above. if your're dedicated you'll be great at both languages in a few months.
>>
>>60228276
don't try to learn C++ first, C is much easier to grasp, and 90% of the syntax is the same, C++ just adds a bunch of extra high abstraction shit that will confuse you. Especially if you don't even fucking know trig or boolean algebra.
>>
>>60229166

OP here. OK, give me some names of books to learn C.
>>
>>60229198
http://fabiensanglard.net/c/index.php
>>
>>60228963
you dont really need to read all of it, read the beginning rather well and you can use the rest of the book for references
>>
>>60229166

This.
Eveything you can do in C++ can be done in C. C++ is just there so you don't need to write the boilerplate.
>>
>>60229792
No, it's fucking harder to attract code monkeys with a C project than with a C++ project.
>>
>>60231866

non sequitur?
>>
>>60231866
>>60231991

OP here.

>c
>no, c is shit
>c before c++
>but bruh
>non sequitur
>learn java
>install gentoo

Day after day.
Guys, please. Just answer the question and leave the war apart for a second.
>>
Books didn't help me learn C++. I just read the reference from top to bottom and search around for stuff I didn't understand.
>>
>>60232164

Then I'll refer you to my earlier post >>60228821
>>
>>60228276
Go straight to spoj-like coding tasks, books are a great source of pre-programming things like advanced algorithms and discrete mathematics, but books can't teach you to program shit.
>>
C is for writes kernels, if you use to other porpuse you're a dumb
>>
>>60228276
"C++ How to Program" is pretty damn easy. The only thing weaker is "C++ Primer Plus".
>>
File: c++_cover.jpg (141KB, 500x651px) Image search: [Google]
c++_cover.jpg
141KB, 500x651px
>>60228828
>>
is there any interesting small c++ code on github (or anywhere) for studying? I thought I was beginning to learn c++, decided to look at some ~big projects and couldn't understand shit.
>>
>>60232893
One of my first "serious" C++ project.
http://dl.free.fr/wdxW9ti7d
>>
What's a good summer project for a novice C++ programer?
>>
File: uoy.png (924KB, 7528x2744px) Image search: [Google]
uoy.png
924KB, 7528x2744px
>>60233057
Choose one
>>
>>60233117
lol some of them are pretty funny!
>>
>>60232893

Learning C++ by reading projects is like learning English by reading Ulysses.

>>60233057

Read a data structures book and implement the structures and algorithms you read about.
>>
Do you need a specific brain to become a competent programmer? Like to be able to handle highly abstract structures like nested arrays, linked lists etc?
>>
>>60234364
>highly abstract structures
>like nested arrays, linked lists

HAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>60234459
they're soft and abstract tho

>>60234364
read a lisp course with conses and shit and you'll get it
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.