[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>study CS/CE/SE >only programming you will ever do is manipulating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Computer Engineering.jpg (129KB, 919x392px) Image search: [Google]
Computer Engineering.jpg
129KB, 919x392px
>study CS/CE/SE
>only programming you will ever do is manipulating arrays and rewriting obscure data-structures

I can't come up with one thing I have learned in CE that I have actually used in any real project except interfaces which are in reality only needed for grouping together different types of objects to a single list
>>
>>60225055
You gotta learn cool stuff by yourself and work on projects in your free time, senpai.
>>
>>60225074
That's what I'm doing since uni won't teach me shit about developing real projects
>>
>>60225085
University isn't supposed to be job training, it's supposed to be an academia. Tools you need for real life projects you need to learn by yourself.
>>
>going to university
Kek, I never understood this. Friend of mine studies VR tech and currently learns about higher math like matrices. This shit is so foreign to me I don't even know anything else. I simply learned programming, SQL, webdev and use pretty much everything in my current job.
Sure, he will get a better paying job. But only after a few years of suicidal depression because of all the useless junk.
>>
>>60225194
>higher math like matrices
>matrices
>higher math
You know that linear algebra is usually taught in high school and first year college, right?

>only after a few years of suicidal depression because of all the useless junk.
I'm not your friend obviously, but I actually enjoyed most of my university classes.

In high school I never got more than mediocre grades and everything sucked, but in university I cherrypicked the classes I found interesting and got really good grades because they were fun and enjoyable.

Seriously, being a bachelor student was the best days of my life. Partying all night and learning so much new cool stuff.
>>
>>60225214
>>60225194
Not to mention that not everyone finds webdev enjoyable. I did it for a couple of years while I was doing my masters, in order to support myself, and it was fucking boring as fuck.
>>
>>60225214
I hae no idea what the the equivalent of high school or college here even is. I too did matrices but only the basic stuff, real basic and I can't even remember that. He sent me images of a few page long mathematical proofs with symbols I never saw in my life and some crying emojis. Other words I remeber are topology and rings.
>>
>>60225292
>topology and rings
Can be anything from mathematical analysis to some computer science course like discrete mathematics or algorithms and datastructures.
>>
>>60225128
>University isn't supposed to be job training, it's supposed to be an academia

So much this. Unfortunately most jobs require a degree. Practical components are a good idea for CS degrees.
>>
>>60225661
>Practical components are a good idea for CS degrees.
I disagree. I learned all my practical skills by working relevant jobs next to my studies. If you want practical components, they should be crammed into software engineering (SE), not CS.
>>
>>60225711
What did you actually learn of value from studying CS? It's such a bullshit degree
>>
>>60225718
>What did you actually learn of value from studying CS?
Well, during my CS degree I implemented a MANET routing algorithm that we tested on DD-WRT routers, I implemented an OS kernel from bootloader to scheduler to memory management to file system, I learned a bunch of sorting algorithms and efficient data structures and how to estimate their efficiency for certain domains, I learned how to verify distributed systems using formal logic and how to identify deadlocks and race conditions and livelocks, I learned how different TCP congestion controls work, I learned how to program an Atmel microcontroller with assembly, I implemented a compiler for a minimal C dialect called simple C, I learned how to program a FGPA using VHDL.

In essence, I learned a bunch of stuff that I have had to use in various jobs I've had. Learning about process management, version controls, automatic build systems, programming practices etc I learned on my spare time or in my part time jobs.
>>
This is why I didn't do CS and went for a specific Bachelor of technology on software development
They teach to you hands on from git, coding medmthodology, and how to write apps to be a modern app developer
>>
The coursework can get better.

We eventually got to courseworks like making a game for android, writing our own compiler, regression in KNIME for LHC data and exploiting a phpBB install, amongst others.
>>
>>60225055
I graduated with a LibArts degree a year and a half ago, got a job where I could apply the stuff I learned on my own about programming, going back for night classes for CS. I took intro to CS during my undergrad so I didn't have to take it again, but learning about how things like the different linear data structures are implemented is nice because it actually impacts the choices one can make in developing a real application. Chunks of it are useless, though: academic programming is an entirely different beast than real-world programming, and at times I'd rather just be watching stuff on Pluralsight because my current professor has the typical CS prof ego where he thinks he's smart enough to not need a lesson plan and then shrugs his shoulders going "kids these days aren't motivated!" when the class can't immediately understand the stuff he glazed over.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.