[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/, I've been a longtime GNU/linux and FreeBSD user

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: x68k-xvi[1].jpg (2MB, 2177x4311px) Image search: [Google]
x68k-xvi[1].jpg
2MB, 2177x4311px
Hey /g/, I've been a longtime GNU/linux and FreeBSD user (debian and gentoo on my pcs, freebsd on servers) that switched to windows to get up to date on my shitty videogame backlog and just as a change of pace.

Now that I have some money, and since I hate windows, I'm going to build a new pc with all the storage media and power that I want, so I want to try running my games (mostly fighting game shit like Ultra Street Fighter 4, reflex arena, guilty gear etc) in KVM/QEMU with PCI passthrough. Does anyone else here use it? Do you get good performance? I only use 1080p, I don't care about le epik graphics and none of my shit is graphically intensive really. I'll probably get a 1700x and either an RX Vega or a gtx1080 (depending on gnu/linux performance since every game that's available on gnu/linux I just use there)

Windows sucks, but I also want to play my manchild games without rebooting, and get decent performance
>>
also I know IOMMU on ryzen is a bit iffy now, that's why I asked, does anyone here have an x370 based motherboard and use IOMMU passthrough? Not a ton of info out there
>>
https://virgil3d.github.io/
>>
>>60224708
x68000 a shit
>>
>>60226077
Why tho? That case looks comfy
>>
>>60224708
I have used it on Gentoo and with a 6900k and Titan x Pascal I got around 82% native performance. I dual boot now but it's worth using if you have a setup for it and you are prepared to take the performance hit. Some habe gotten up to 97% head on over to the vfio channel on free node.
>>
>>60226229
are you rich nigga
>>
>>60226229
what did you use for your second GPU?
>>
>>60224708
I feel like this thread with a mention of FreeBSD, virtualization, and an image of a SHARP X68000 is an attempt to bait me into posting, because these are basically the only three things I don't shitpost about.
bhyve, the type-2 hypervisor in FreeBSD, just recently added AMD IOMMU support to HEAD, so you could very well run FreeBSD as your hypervisor/storarge OS with zvol-backed bhyve storage and Windows as the guest OS with passthrough access to a dedicated GPU while your FreeBSD host uses smaller GPU or, assuming AMD offers this, an integrated GPU.
>>
>>60228491
>bhyve

I didn't even know fBSD had its own hypervisor. How much can you vouch for it?

I generally run linux on my personal PC and fBSD on servers, just because of compatability and whatnot. Especially regarding drivers.
>>
>>60228852
I, like a few of the FreeBSD commiters, run it in production.

I don't worry about drivers, because I ensure that the hardware I buy will let me run the OS I've chosen - OS is much more of an important choice than hardware is.
>>
>>60228941
For FreeBSD, there's an unwritten rule that anything in -RELEASE is expected by the developers, through several rounds of testing both in -CURRENT and in -STABLE, to be production ready.
-STABLE is generally for people who want to target FreeBSD for development since KBI/ABI doesn't change unless the major version number is bumped, whereas -CURRENT is where all development happens - and as a result, it's the most unstable where KBI/ABI can change at any given moment.
>>
Running KVM-QEMU/vfio passthrough on Fedora 25. Really easy to setup, and good support from the community. Only performance hit that is noticeable will come from CPU limited scenarios, or from poor disk IO performance (depending on your choice of storage - i.e. a complete passthrough of a secondary SATA controller will run much closer to native IO than a qcow image stored on the host disk ).
>>
Used it with a i7 4770 and RX 470, performance was not notably harmed and all my vidyas ran fine.
>>
>>60225849
I've heard of this before. It sounds like it's kinda working? How would one test it?
>>
>>60224708
Dude you want a fucking 1080 when your shit isn't graphically intensive? What the fuck?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.