[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how safe is it to download image files off of a site like 4chan?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 4321112.jpg (27KB, 430x375px) Image search: [Google]
4321112.jpg
27KB, 430x375px
how safe is it to download image files off of a site like 4chan? What about videos or gifs off of something like reddit? Are their any image or video formats that are considered to be more exploitable than others?
>>
File: shitANDpost.jpg (103KB, 777x583px) Image search: [Google]
shitANDpost.jpg
103KB, 777x583px
Now this a cringe thread
>>
>>60217935

You should look into what is called stenography.

I wouldn't save anything from here. Also, be aware that your browser caches images even if you don't click on them.
>>
>>60218739
>my browser
you guessed wrong kiddo
>>
>>60219037

"Your Browser" as in generally.

Not yours in particular.

Was it necessary for me to explain that?
>>
>He doesn't know about the hidden CP/RARs in images on 4chan (the ones that get past the normal block)
You're fucked
>>
>>60218739
Retard. How is hiding data in images related? That does not mean that common libraries to read/decode images are exploitable. In most cases it's just trash at the end of the file after the specific file length of the header.

Why are there so many dumb people here?

OP, your concerns are relevant. For example if you check out cvdetails.com for common imaging libraries: ImageMagic, PIL/Pillow etc. you'll see that regularly some kind of exploits are found, most often these are just DOS-type but sometimes arbitrary code execution is possible.

The best and most paranoid way to protect yourself rom these threats is to sandbox the applications taht handle untrusted (i.e. from the internet and related) data. Linux has something called firejail.
>>
TIFF images
>>
>>60219122
>Retard.
>so many dumb people here

I'll let you have this win due to my shitty reading comprehension anon.

My penitence shall begin now:

You are right, I am wrong
You are handsome, I am ugly
You have friends, I do not
You are smart, I am dumb
>>
>>60219207
wow this actually felt pretty good. This is all I ever wanted, thank you.
>>
>>60219219

You are quite welcome.

I shall employ enhanced reading comprehension in the future.
>>
>>60219237
Good good. Now stop making me feel like an ass please.
>>
I'm stupid. How can I run firejail w/o a CS degree?
>>
File: 8Bvhmp7.jpg (297KB, 1752x1244px) Image search: [Google]
8Bvhmp7.jpg
297KB, 1752x1244px
How do we know if there is something lurking in our images?

I've been told that on a computer 'use it or lose it'. So delete old apps, old files etc. i guess I'll have to get rid of my images too

Kinda worried about my extensive media collection. Don't want to delete TBs of anime, films and music
>>
>>60219097
H-how? The only kind I know that bypass the checks is that one with a bunch of trash on the bottom of the image that you need to convert to bmp or something like that
>>
>>60219097

Moms asleep, post sinks
>>
File: 046.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
046.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>60221131
please respond
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.