[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>decide to upgrade the CPU in my laptop >take off heatsink

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: thermal paste gore t430.jpg (340KB, 1000x986px) Image search: [Google]
thermal paste gore t430.jpg
340KB, 1000x986px
>decide to upgrade the CPU in my laptop
>take off heatsink
>pic related

Do companies seriously do this, or is it more likely this was done by one of the laptop's previous owners?
>>
>>60216993
stop posting your shitty t430, faggot.
Nobody gives a fuck
>>
>assembled by a chink one step removed from a paddy field
>>
>>60216993
too fresh for stock
>>
>>60217014
This is the only time I've ever posted it.
>>
>>60217084
Then stop forcing this shitty sublaptop outside of /tpg/
Get back to your containment thread
>>
>>60216993
>he fell for the nvs meme
>>
>>60217014
>>60217113
shut the fuck up backseat mod
>>
>>60216993
What's the problem?
>>
File: MB_applemanual_5_21_06.jpg (43KB, 620x335px) Image search: [Google]
MB_applemanual_5_21_06.jpg
43KB, 620x335px
>>60216993

Apple innovates.
Lenovo imitates.
Many such cases.
>>
>>60217211
Jesus Christ how horrifying
>>
>>60217211

plz delete
>>
>>60216993
And the problem is ???
The thermal paste is covering the entire die so all the heat spread to the most copper area it can touch, something wrong or you're just pretending to be upset to fit in?
>>
>>60217345

Because it was assembled carelessly you fool.

You're supposed to show love to your components for maximum performance.
>>
>>60217375
>assembled carelessly
How? I fail to see what's wrong with that, you put paste and it spread around the die to transfer heat and the more it touch the copper and die the more heat it transfer, are you doing mental gymnastics or something?
>>
>>60217345
It wasn't done properly and the thermal paste spilled over the die.
>>
>>60217436

Are you from india or mexico by any chance?
>>
>>60217443
>>60217461
>Samefagging this obvious
Goddamn retard, when the paste spill around the die it can transfer more eat because it touch more copper area of the heatsink, you "minimalist" or "must look good" approach is actually worse for your proccesor.
>>
>>60217515
because we all know that the less copper touching the heatsink the better!

kys
>>
>>60217515

>samefagging

Only indians or mexicans are this paranoid in my experience.

Also, the excess paste retains heat unless conducting the heat to another surface.

Finally, you misspelled proccesor.

Conclusion:

your a idiot
>>
>>60217436
So you're saying we should just submerge CPUs in paste? I like it.
>>
>>60217436
If you are so stupid that you fail to see how excess heat transference that is covering areas of the chipset that are not contacting the copper can be harmful, then I don't really care so whatever How are you doing?
>>
That is a totally normal amount of thermal paste for a mass produced laptop mobo. Are you retarded or someth- oh wait, I'm on 4chan.
>>
>>60217813
This.

Better safe than sorry. You want them to ship it with too little?
>>
>>60216993
>Do companies seriously do this

Its a T430
Did you expect something good out of a chinkpad, especially the first year of serious corner cutting?
>>
>>60217720
They use non conductive stuff
It wont hurt anything at all, it will just be ugly
>>
>>60217515
Copper transfers heat much better than the paste does
The paste transfers heat a lot better than small, invisible to the naked eye gaps of air.

A happy medium if a fine layer of paste to fill in the gaps, while leaving as much copper physically touching as possible.
Too much paste can actually hurt temps. Will it make it run too hot?
No, but you could shave 2-3c by putting the proper amount on.

When you are mass producing, you dont give a shit about a few degrees, and you err on the side of caution to make sure it has more than enough
>>
>>60217892
>It wont hurt anything at all
Not that guy but excess TIM will negatively impact heat transfer. It's not significant for the expected use case of a laptop but it might lead to higher temperatures during the kind of heavy use that one would see from video encoding or something similar.
>>
>>60217211
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMTZn97VGfI
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.