[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm in my obligatory Mass Comm class for college. Do you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 20170504_121105.jpg (639KB, 1440x1515px) Image search: [Google]
20170504_121105.jpg
639KB, 1440x1515px
I'm in my obligatory Mass Comm class for college.

Do you agree with this /g/?
>>
>>60215790
fuck all that i hack for $
>>
Listed criteria are not bogus.
>>
>>60215790
Yeah I guess I agree with that.
>>
Sure, just not the first statement. Some people just should not be near computers ever.
>>
>>60215837
How is it ethical to demand everyone to surrender access to their own computers to you?
>>
People should be judged based on merit (as opposed to just qualification), at least in the "hacker" world.
>>
>>60215896
Isn't "merit" just "skill"?
>>
>>60215790
Tell us what the prof says about points three and four.

Most of the academics I met in my time at college (a few years ago now) were pretty heavily authoritarian, and modern SJWs have literally called meritocracy racist, since you're denying that there should be affirmative action and special advantages for minorities.

Actually tell us what he says about point two, also, I met a few very staunch defenders of copyright at university.
>>
>>60216050
I guess, it's just semantics. I was just clarifying it.
>>
first one sounds a little too commie for me
>>
>>60216116
He didn't really express his personal opinion, but this is what he said.
>second point
"Now that we're in the digital age, we've come to the point where we know for a fact that there are some underhanded things going on involving our privacy and the government. Because people like Snowden and Julien Assange are finding information that we're unable to obtain, we can learn things that even our government doesn't want us to know."

And then he asked the class for our thoughts. He didn't get to speak on 3 and 4 because class ended before he had a chance and nobody wanted to stay and listen.
>>
File: richard-stallman-432.jpg (3MB, 3504x2336px) Image search: [Google]
richard-stallman-432.jpg
3MB, 3504x2336px
>>60215859
That's not a hacker
>>
Degrees can be bogus.
>>
My thoughts?

>Access to computers should be unlimited and total
I guess, as long as you're able to provide a computer for yourself? I'm not in favour of my taxes subsidising laptops for homeless people if that's what it means. This point kinda confuses me honestly.

>All information wants to be free
And who asked information for its opinion? More seriously, I generally agree with this, especially things like academic or scientific knowledge. That includes medicine, and hence the pharmaceutical industry - I believe chemical compounds should be free, as in free software.

However, while Software as a Service is cancer, it does bring about a good point - software is often a service these days. Being able to modify any software you use sounds nice, but I still think selling software is a legitimate business model. Especially nowadays when so many normies use computers that 99.9% of the userbase won't benefit at all from their software being free.

>mistrust authority - promote decentralisation
A decentralised internet a la I2P seems necessary if only for resilience. Say if the US decides to nuke China and China nukes back, and like half the world's DNS servers and half the AWS servers go down, that would be pretty bad. A fully decentralised internet would mostly avoid that problem.

Outside technology though, I'm really quite authoritarian. So there's that.

>meritocratic system
Yeah. I'm /pol/-tier racist but I'm pretty sure if you remove affirmative action and the drive to be seen as progressive by catering to minorities, the problem will sort itself. And if it doesn't, hey, I was wrong!
>>
>>60215790

I agree with the four statement. Everything else is childish and illegal.
>>
>>60215790
One, three and four are fucking stupid, and here's why.

>One
People need to get a lisence to operate these fucking things. Computers (especially mobile phones) have caused more harm than good. If you don't understand what an operating system is and if you can't wrap your little head around files and directories, you shouldn't own a computer at all.

>Three
You never get shit done without an authority. You need some kind of project leader all the time. Decenteralization is a fine choice, but a centeral authority should not be discouraged as long as it's fair and a majority of the parties involved agree with it (see FreeBSD).

>Four
Degrees and positions are often earned through skill that comes from practice or just natural ability. Age is usually a pretty good indicator of wisdom. The wise man living in the mountains is always old with a grey beard, not a 19 year old hipster faggot with an iPad. I wonder why.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.