[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the only distro that is actually trying to be innovative

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

Is this the only distro that is actually trying to be innovative and do something new and improve the current state of affairs?
>>
>>60214013
What's innovative about it? Honest question.
>>
>>60214028
Immutable and stateless configuration, which means extremely easy rollbacks and safe/stable/predictable system.
>>
>not GoboLinux
>>
>>60214100
GoboLinux dared to change something that is defended with almost religious zealotry (Unix file system organization)
Oh, and it was created too early too.
>>
>>60214100
>3 seeders
>slow https dl
waste of ressources once again
>>
>>60214100
What the fuck is GoboLinux
>>
Isn't GuixSD the same but the package manager is written in Guile?
>>
>>60214100
GoboLinux's goal was super logical but the paradigm it goes against is an obsession. You can't use logic against it.
>>
>>60214220
A Linux distro that puts packages in directories rather than distributing them in different directories piece by piece.

I think it is logical because even though Unix filesystem was great at the time it's not that useful when you have 1000s of packages with every package creating things everywhere.
>>
>>60214322
>UNIX is supposed to be the superior system
>it wants to turn in Windows
>>
>>60214868
>superior system
>with a file system made for floppy disk computers
>>
>>60214868
>turning into windows
>thou shalt no question unix file system
This meme should stop. GoboLinux actually counts with a more clean way to separate the aplications and has package management.
Meanwhile, Windows applications can't be unistalled cleanly.
>>
>>60214941
>>60214322
>>60214276
Lol, are you fucking joking? It's "revolutionary" because it puts packages in directories rather than distributing them in different directories piece by piece? This is literally nothing compared to the progress NixOS is offering. What you're suggesting is Windows, what NixOS is offering can't be found anywhere else. It's truly revolutionary and you can tell that it is because it doesn't have a meme web dev site like Gobo Linux AND the community grows at a healthy pace and has plenty of happy knowledgeable people unlike the Arch bitter virgins.

Actually look into NixOS, there's a great presentation on YouTube by the guy that started it all.
>>
>>60214122
I checked and it seems NixOS does this as well.
Is anyone using any of them though? Gobo, Nix, Guix...
>>
>>60215019
>t. NixOS shill.
You asked for some operating system that reinvented Linux in someway "revolutionary" Well, GoboLinux did it and got backslash for that.
You got what your asked.
>>
>>60214013
No, because it uses the shittiest kernel out there.
>>
>>60214868
>UNIX is supposed to be the superior [file] system

UNIX, yes. POSIX not so much.
You see, UNIX was developed on the same machine its developers used day-to-day. Instead of keeping track of a 'distribution image' with installation scripts and all, they merely hacked on the system as they were using it, and occasionally gave away a backup tape that was used to bootstrap UNIX on other machines.
Certain design choices were made to accommodate their immediate needs; for instance, when they ran out of space on their primary disk, they moved system-noncritical files to a second disk mounted on /usr. This separation was made out of immediate necessity, rather than as a part of a grand, overarching design choice.
Later, when POSIX was written to standardize the functionality of the many UNIX clones that had popped up, the committee that drafted it standardized what was merely an archaism.
There is no reason to separate /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/local/bin, etc. on modern machines. While I believe separating files by the roles they fulfill is a superior scheme to Windows-style organisation, the Linux Filesystem Hierarchy is far from perfect, and experimentation is welcome.
>>
>>60214013
too bad it's shit in every other department
>>
>>60215769
Some hated developer in fact pointed that, with the pass of the years, UNIX greybeards came to create narratives to justify this file system hierarchy.
One of the things I like of Unix (and Linux) is that you can extend your / without having to format shit, just adding disks and mouting them in diverse directories.
As I far I know, NT can do that too, but as usual, Windows API hides this.
>>
>>60214241
GuixSD uses the Nix package manager.
>>
>>60218611
nope, it uses Guix not Nix

one is written in Guile, the other in Perl
>>
>>60215019
> what NixOS is offering can't be found anywhere else
Wait until you'll discover Plan9

> Also
> slow as shit
>>
File: GuixSD-V.png (7KB, 159x141px) Image search: [Google]
GuixSD-V.png
7KB, 159x141px
Nix and NixOS are wonderful.
Guix and GuixSD took what they learned working on it, pushed it further, and made it more humane.
That we ever didn't do package management or OS configuration like this retrospectively just seems insanely retarded to me now.
>>
>>60221223
tell me more about GuixSD, can the package manager help me install from source?
>>
>>60221696
Yes, and how.
You interact with it using Guile (GNU"s Scheme Lisp) on any and every level you desire.
Packages are defined as normal lisp expressions - If you write a package definition correctly and throw it to guix, it'll take care of everything for you.
It's unlike anything else and just so great.
The install for example is the coolest slickest shit ever:
>boot to flashdrive installer (basically just a live guixsd usb)
>partition and mount drives
>declare os using normal guile
>run a command
>it creates and sets up an os based on whatever you defined
and if you ever want to change your entire os to something totally different, you just give it another config and run
$ guix system reconfigure config.scm
>>
Why not Gobo Linux?
>>
>>60221223
>>60222238
I've written conifg files in flat key/value pairs, in XML, in JSON and YAML.
can you imagine how fun it would be to write a config file in Lisp?
>>
>another shit distro with a repo the size of an ant and broken as shit b-b-b-ut it's so cool they have this one feature!!!
>>
>>60222238
>>declare os using normal guile
>>run a command
>>it creates and sets up an os based on whatever you defined
any guide or better yet a youtube vid?
>>
How about Solus?
>>
>What is PeppermintOS
>>
>>60222414
I don't have to imagine, I can confirm.

>>60222647
Don't know of any videos, but the install guide is very easy to follow and there's help abound in their room on freenode.
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/System-Installation.html
I'll also include my OS config just for fun.
https://rectilinear.xyz/p/f2b66c39d0

I cannot express enough just how much this has changed my life and perspective on OS/distro design.
Blew my mind, it's the best thing ever.
>>
>>60222981
thanks
>>
>>60221223
Does it have a lisp shell of some sort?
>>
>>60214013

>Is this the only distro that is actually trying to be innovative and do something new and improve the current state of affairs?

No, there's GuixSD also, these two are the only distros that has made me interested in leaving Arch though, still I'm waiting for either of them to mature/get a stronger community going.
>>
>>60214941
>Meanwhile, Windows applications can't be unistalled cleanly.

That's a dev issue more than a Windows problem. Lazy dev's don't clean up after their shitty programs and leave folders/unneeded registry keys everywhere.
>>
I've looked into this distro and it does sound incredibly good.

Their package manager (which the distro is built around) is next level stuff.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.