[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Enlighten me on Lisp. There's something eerie about it.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: SICP_cover.jpg (51KB, 400x579px) Image search: [Google]
SICP_cover.jpg
51KB, 400x579px
Enlighten me on Lisp. There's something eerie about it. Some people daresay it's what's programming languages ought to be; that it somehow mirror the Universe, the Brain etc.
>>
look up church turing thesis. if you know C you understand only 1 side of the thesis, lisp and other functional languages are the other side
>>
File: 63ijdck.jpg (149KB, 1031x882px) Image search: [Google]
63ijdck.jpg
149KB, 1031x882px
WE CONJURE THE SPIRITS OF THE COMPUTER WITH OUR SPELLS. WE CONJURE THE SPIRITS OF THE COMPUTER WITH OUR SPELLS. WE CONJURE THE SPIRITS OF THE COMPUTER WITH OUR SPELLS. WE CONJURE THE SPIRITS OF THE COMPUTER WITH OUR SPELLS. WE CONJURE THE SPIRITS OF THE COMPUTER WITH OUR SPELLS. WE CONJURE THE SPIRITS OF THE COMPUTER WITH OUR SPELLS. WE CONJURE THE SPIRITS OF THE COMPUTER WITH OUR SPELLS. WE CONJURE THE SPIRITS OF THE COMPUTER WITH OUR SPELLS. WE CONJURE THE SPIRITS OF THE COMPUTER WITH OUR SPELLS. WE CONJURE THE SPIRITS OF THE COMPUTER WITH OUR SPELLS. WE CONJURE THE SPIRITS OF THE COMPUTER WITH OUR SPELLS. WE CONJURE THE SPIRITS OF THE COMPUTER WITH OUR SPELLS. WE CONJURE THE SPIRITS OF THE COMPUTER WITH OUR SPELLS. WE CONJURE THE SPIRITS OF THE COMPUTER WITH OUR SPELLS. WE CONJURE THE SPIRITS OF THE COMPUTER WITH OUR SPELLS. WE CONJURE THE SPIRITS OF THE COMPUTER WITH OUR SPELLS. WE CONJURE THE SPIRITS OF THE COMPUTER WITH OUR SPELLS. WE CONJURE THE SPIRITS OF THE COMPUTER WITH OUR SPELLS. WE CONJURE THE SPIRITS OF THE COMPUTER WITH OUR SPELLS. WE CONJURE THE SPIRITS OF THE COMPUTER WITH OUR SPELLS.
>>
>>60205511

It's a concrete, textual syntax that mirrors the abstract syntax more closely than any concrete syntax that I'm aware of. Also, programs are represented as Lisp data structures, making programmatic manipulation of programs easier than in most other languages.
>>
>>60205511
I've used it for a while, and I liked it.
>>
>>60205511
python superseded it. Its not even taught anywhere anymore
>>
File: 1493855396002.jpg (48KB, 680x598px) Image search: [Google]
1493855396002.jpg
48KB, 680x598px
>>60205511
Common lisp is one of the two best programming languages there are.

If you don't believe me learn how it works and prove me wrong.

Protip you can't because you are lazy neet
>>
>>60205511
Lisp is lambda calculus incarnate. McCarthy, the guy who created Lisp, even said he basically based Lisp off of lambda calculus.

What is lambda calculus? It attempted to be an investigation into the foundations of math. What it ended up being was a really damned good model of computation at the most abstract level (rather than the machine level).

Compare this to C -- an approach to computation from the Vonn Neuman, relatively un-abstracted direction.

This is why Lisp is so transcendental. You're literally approaching programming from the purest way in "mathematical" abstraction. There's an equally pure way, that is Haskell, which is based on typed lambda calculus.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.