[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to acces files stored on a normal windows pc by

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: hackerman.png (825KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
hackerman.png
825KB, 700x700px
Is it possible to acces files stored on a normal windows pc by removing the hard-drive and pluging it into another pc via usb/sata connector, thus accesing it like a normal usb-device?
>>
>>60191695
No, the files are encrypted with a device-specific master key. To access these files you need to desolder the north bridge and install it on your own motherboard.
>>
>>60191708
Thats weird. I once did this with a few old win7 hard drives and it worked just fine. I found it hard to believe.
>>
>>60191695
Yes it is.

>>60191708
kek, such drivel.
>>
File: 1493670185875.png (517KB, 836x717px) Image search: [Google]
1493670185875.png
517KB, 836x717px
>>60191708
/Thread
Be careful desoldering the north bridge, if you hold it upside down all the elektrons are going to fall out.
>>
>>60191695
Yeah man just stick the drive in another computer and take ownership. Or you can boot something like parted magic and take a look.
>>
>>60191708
Not a job for somebody who doesn't know what they're doing
>>
As long as the rotational velociraptors match, it should work fine
>>
>>60191770
>>60191868
Would this leave traces on the harddrive? Is there any way to find out wheather someone did this to my pc?

>>60191833
Gotta be careful then, electrons are expensive i assume...
>>
>>60191898
>Would this leave traces on the harddrive?
I don't think so, unless you write to the disc of course.
>>
>>60191898
Not unless something was modified. If you just look and don't edit, then no.
>>
>>60191708
I was looking up TPM shit to troll and then got lazy.

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/microsoft-fixes-bitlocker-disk-encryption-bypass-411903
>>
>>60191923
Oh boy, time to encrypt my files...

How is such an enormous security-problem not fixed / knowledge about it wider spread?

>>60191932
Does copying files to another drive count as editing?
>>
Yes.
>>
>>60191972
Nobody assumes hackers have physical access to the hardware. They're all concentrating on preventing remote access.
>>
>>60191972
If someone has physical access to your box you're pretty much fucked anyway. You can do the same with an unencrypted linux install.
>>
Linux mounting can be detected by others since it may change some small things to make the mounting possible. This requires that the system be shutdown in a undesired state and would only be detectable after the first reboot.
>>
>>60192013
Yeah, that's true. But I'm very paranoid. What if someone breakes into my home and steals my pc? Better not take any risks :)
>>
>>60191972
No, copying doesn't count as editing.
>>
>>60191972
It's not a security issue. It's what happens if you don't use FDE. This kind of information gathering is possible on Windows, Mac, and anyone using a Linux distro without FDE enabled. It's a fact if life. How else do you expect to limit access without the use of full-disk encryption?
>>
>>60192054
True, that's why full disc encryption exists.
>>
>>60191972
>How is such an enormous security-problem not fixed / knowledge about it wider spread?

Because the MSM would have you believe that only criminals have something to hide and only bad guys encrypt their stuff.
>>
>>60192085
It's the Zionists who hate encryption. They always want to access everything. Most encryption is anti Zionism.
>Encrypt early and often.
>>
>>60192060
>>60192066
Can you reccomend a good FDE ?
Is there anything I have to be careful about ?

>>60192085
Guess I'll go to guantanmo then :D
>>
>>60192127
wtf have zionists to do with that? Let them cut their childrens foreskin in peace, they didn't do anything to you.
>>
>>60192133
>Can you reccomend a good FDE ?
LUKS

>Is there anything I have to be careful about ?
Remember your password.
>>
>>60192206
>>60192059
>>60192066
>>60191992
>>60191932
>>60191868
>>60191770

Thanks guys(and/or girls), I'd suck ur dicks if I could <3
>>
>>60192206
>LUKS
>>60191695
>a normal windows pc

kek
>>
>>60192133
Windows comes with BitLocker, you should be able to do full disk encryption through that.

If you want to prevent anyone with physical access to your PC from wiping your drive, you might also consider setting a BIOS password, so that your computer can't boot from anything that could do such a thing unless you're there to tell it to. For maximum security, this should be different from your BitLocker password, but make sure both are passwords you're going to remember forever, or have written down somewhere, because if you forget either one, you're super fucked.
>>
>>60192300
Oh... right... Stop using windows first I guess.
>>
>>60192353
>If you want to prevent anyone with physical access to your PC from wiping your drive, you might also consider setting a BIOS password, so that your computer can't boot from anything that could do such a thing unless you're there to tell it to. For maximum security, this should be different from your BitLocker password, but make sure both are passwords you're going to remember forever, or have written down somewhere, because if you forget either one, you're super fucked.
That seems like an incredibly silly thing to try and prevent. If they're there and have physical access, than no amount of software is going to stop them from making the files inaccessible. They could just plug the drive in another computer and wipe it like that, or smash it with a hammer or just jack it.
Only way to protect against that is to make off-site backups.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.