[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck do engineers make ~$80K straight out of college?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: raining-money.jpg (2MB, 3393x2361px) Image search: [Google]
raining-money.jpg
2MB, 3393x2361px
How the fuck do engineers make ~$80K straight out of college?

Shouldn't the lack of board certification allow the profession to be over flooded with labor, driving down wages?

>be me
>be health care professional
>needed to get board certified
>my profession uses board certification as a means of controlling supply and demand in order to artificially increase our wages
>my specialty is in short supply
>peoples' lives are put into my hands on a daily basis
>make ~$60k straight out of college, with little room for promotion
>took both engineering and medical coursework in college
>the medical course work was harder
>somehow engineers get ~$80K straight out of college. WTF?
>even attorney's have a hard time making ~$80K straight out of school and they even regulate their own supply and demand somewhat.
>>
File: CS meme.png (420KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
CS meme.png
420KB, 1920x1080px
>>60187624
Here's the better part. An accountant who has 1 year exp and halfway through their CPA before graduating will land a job making 85K...

Maybe there's more to it than your narrow scope of economics is leading you to believe .
>>
>>60187624
This is why technical interviews are a thing, it's to prevent the skiddies with a 3 month code camp from claiming to be professional engineers. Doesn't stop them from trying, though, so the hiring managers for these types of jobs are learning to sift through a lot of bullshit to get to what they want
>>
>>60187624
It's a bubble. I can't way for it to pop and watch all the SF hipsters fail to pay their multi million mortgages.
>>
>>60187624
A coder will produce actual money. Saving people's lives doesn't generate money. It's like teaching, you don't do it for the cash. You do it for humanity. I choose my doctor based on this personality type. The bottom line is healthcare is a fucked up place with a lot of wishy washy issues with collecting actual money from people.
>>
>>60188002
Not sure the logic here with this. "saving people's lives doesn't generate money" -Yes they do it for the cash and healthcare in america has no problem collecting money from us.
>>60187624
Consider changing professions. The janitor at the hospital here makes 60K+ a year. So it depends on your location. Move to a place where your wage will be more.
>>
>>60187624
Engineers make pocket change compared to the money they are creating for the company.

Everyone is getting fucked by large companies, while the top of the company makes billions. Life is just a big pyramid scheme
>>
>>60188132
Except nobody ever pays. That's the core issue. Talk to a person in medical collections.
>>
>>60188134
Not many companies on the planet make billions in profits. Sure engineers don't make as much as they produce, they can't sell it, they cant market it, they cant run the company. The ones that can get rich as entrepreneurs.
>>
>>60188157
Insurance pays
>>
>>60187624
Maybe engineers develop stuff that produce big profits while being in jail with half a foot with everything the sign okay. For example:
>develop car part
>car gets sold a million times
>car part fails, needs to be repaired, hurts or kills people
>you are responsible
And lawsuits in the US can get quite expensive I heard
Here in germany you get 45-50k€ out of college, 80k would be after like 10 years as team leader
>>
>>60188202
I'm pretty sure that's not how lawsuits work. The company is responsible, not any individual engineer. The worst that can happen to you is you get fired.
>>
>>60187624
>How the fuck do engineers make ~$80K straight out of college?
>Shouldn't the lack of board certification

There is board certification, you idiot.

It's called being a Professional Engineer, a PE. You get a PE stamp to be able to build things like nuclear reactors, bridges, and other things that could kill people if done wrong.

>engineers don't save lives

Yes they do. YES THEY DO.

A good traffic engineer saves lives every goddamned day.

A bad one kills people.
>>
Because the only people hiring engineers are large corporations with deep pockets, and the engineer's job is to develop the product that will fill said deep pockets. By contrast, the people paying you are insurance companies representing large numbers of mostly poor and middle class people, determined to spend less on those people than they are paying in insurance premiums.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.