[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would it ever be practical for houses to just install a giant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

File: 30099.jpg (93KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
30099.jpg
93KB, 600x450px
Would it ever be practical for houses to just install a giant AC to DC power converter so that the power that comes out of the outlet is DC? Or maybe have like a 600W PSU behind every outlet so that there isn't one centralized converter creating a ton of heat. I'm sure it would be more efficient with resources than every device people buy coming with it's own power supply only to be thrown away in a few years.
>>
>>60184794
Good luck getting a standardized voltage and and connector.
>>
You're going to generate the same amount of heat whether you use one big power supply or several smaller supplies. The cost as well as inefficiencies introduced during rectification make this idea pointless and dumb.
>>
>>60184794
Why don't we just run on DC power instead of AC?
>>
>>60185574
They used to. It didn't scale well.
>>
>>60185094
When you have one rectifier for the whole house, you're spending more money and getting better quality parts, thus you can get maximum efficiency and safety, as opposed to shitty chinese bullshit that comes with most products you own.

Honestly, with improved solar panels and whole-house backup batteries on the horizon, I can see DC outlets being standard in the future.
>>
>>60185574
AC is better for transmission.
>>
>>60184794
Because fuck you, ok? They knew that DC (direct undercurrant) was too good for everybody. That's why they bitch-slapped your ass with AC so now you can Have ... the band.
>>
>>60184810
Already exists, make everything run on USB 5v
>>
>>60185630
>spend money to fix a problem that doesn't exist
>buy all new appliances

Great idea
>>
File: thonkang.jpg (10KB, 325x326px) Image search: [Google]
thonkang.jpg
10KB, 325x326px
If I can tell the difference between a 60hz monitor and a 144hz monitor, would I be able to tell the difference between a lightbub on a 60hz alternating current and a lightbulb on a 144hz alternating current?
>>
>>60185727
>noticing the difference after 90hz
Only if you are a slowmo camera
>>
>>60185689
Just because you have DC outlets doesn't mean AC outlets will be gone overnight.

And the problem does exist. Are you just going to convert DC to AC and then back to DC to go from your house battery to your laptop battery? That's idiotic.

Like it or not, DC power for houses is coming. Not in replacement of AC but in addition.
>>
There is such thing as a dc powered data center. Not common but has been show to be more efficient.
>>
>>60185739
maybe i am the chosen one
>>
>>60185727
Only if you can see the flicker of a 60hz bulb
>>
>>60184794
its built in to all the furniture and equipment and devices at work already

like... every outlet has the 3 prong holes and some USB holes.
>>
>>60185743
>And the problem does exist. Are you just going to convert DC to AC and then back to DC to go from your house battery to your laptop battery? That's idiotic.

Lrn2ohms law
>>
>>60185689
If every person throws away an old power supply every two years, that's 3.5 billion power supplies being thrown away every year. That is an inefficient use of resources.
>>
I belive there are certain 12v DC light fixtures. My boss was saying something about it
>>
>>60185727
Just stop.

Too many notes.
>>
>>60184794
I had the same question some time ago. someone explained to me why this is not a good idea... but I don't remember the explanation, or
the logic behind it. sorry.
>>
go ask /ohm/

>>>/diy/1166999
>>
>>60186859
actually I did it.
>>
That's retarded. And here's why:
The inefficiency of all those power supplies will stack,
an AC-AC transformer is incredibly easy while a DC-DC has over 3 times the parts,
AC->DC takes 4 diods while DC->AC needs a timer etc etc
>>
>>60187022
no one is saying you should convert DC-AC. IMO, there should be 2 lines... but I guess your other points make sense.
thanks an0n
>>
>>60185574
Because of >>60185594 and >>60185642
as well as perhaps the most crucial detail: people are dumb and stupid. With DC you absolutely have to make sure live and ground wires are connected correctly. Do you trust the average Joe with this task? I don't. And it didn't work before either. Could be solved with designing the proper sockets ofc.
And centralised converter would still not solve the problem of things needing different voltages and currents thus you would still need an adapter of sorts.
>>
>>60185574
Hello, Mr. Edison. How's that Serb colleague of yours doing?
>>
>>60185642
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-voltage_direct_current

HVDC > AC at long distances
>>
>>60187734
this is only a problem with current plugs in some countries, like the USA, where they're reversable (non-grounded type at least)
it would be retarded to use those with DC, though it'd be a dumb idea to use the same plug for two different standards anyway, so this would never be an issue if such a push for DC ever happened
>>
>>
>>60185652
Because that would totally work for stuff other than your phone right, kiddo?
>>
>>60185652
>USB standardized on 5v instead of 12v
REEEEEE
>>
>>60185743
>Like it or not, DC power for houses is coming
It is?
>>
>>60185652
are you sure you're in the right place?
>>
>>60185652
>>60192791
arguably, the usb power delivery spec goes up as high as 20V/100W, enough to power quite a lot of things
>>
>>60192311
big clive has made me too fearful of that stuff. i don't trust any of those shits, i'd rather an OEM apple charger over literally anything else.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.