[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we get a networking/homelab thread? I'm moving to a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: download.png (159KB, 2650x884px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
159KB, 2650x884px
Can we get a networking/homelab thread?

I'm moving to a new apartment and want to build a new homelab. When doing the networking I would like at least two physical network interfaces but I'm not sure which approach would be better (pic related)

1. Main router is an internal vm

Or

2. Main router is the edge router on dedicated hw
>>
>>60180682
Why the fuck do you need that many switches?

Cut it down to one and use vlans
>>
>>60180682
Separate your home lab from your usable internet connection and go for all hardware. This gives you maximum hooliganism potential.

My home connection is just a Netgear R7000 with the stock firmware. I got frustrated experimenting on my live shit (that was too limited, anyway).

Now I have a few 1841s and 2950s and I'm studying for a CCNA. I'm tempted to replace my live setup with an 1841 and 2950, but I can't rember a time when the R7000 has failed me, so I'm probably not going to spend that extra $100. I'd probably be too tempted to mess with it if I did change, too.
>>
>>60180960
good point, a vlan can essentially have the same functionality of having multiple subnets right? becuase thats what id like to have. would i need a layer 3 switch? sorry i gave up reading the ccna book so i not that smart at networking.

>>60181000
i'd like to have my vmhost pretty central to the topology because it will be hosting shit like ownclud, dns, fileservers etc. so id like everything else on the network to be able to access it easily
>>
>>60181269

yes, remember every vlan is a subnet, but not every subnet is vlan
>>
>>60181269
A VLAN goes a little further than what a subnet does. When a switch tries to discover a MAC address, it floods every port on the switch. If you've partitioned your network with a VLAN(s), only those ports on the VLAN in question are flooded to try and get the MAC address in response.

I think the proper wording to describe this would be that you're breaking up the broadcast domain on the switch, but I could be wrong.

If you want the server to be central to the topology, make it central to the topology. Have your main home connection at the edge, and a router you piss with minimally between your main connection and your shitfest. Connect the server to that intermediate router.

This way you can cause as many problems as you like in your shitfest while still being able to reach your server from the shitfest. Regardless of what happens in the shitfest, your home connection and server have uninterrupted access to the internet.
>>
>>60181387
so could there be only one interface to a layer 3 device from a switch using the network 192.168.1.0/24 and then multiple vlans on just that one network? or will the vlans need to be subnets of that network and have interfaces from each vlan to the layer 3 device? if that was confusing: two vlans on same subnet? yay or nay?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.