[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do I start leaning vim and why should I even do it? Wh

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Vimlogo.jpg (56KB, 605x552px) Image search: [Google]
Vimlogo.jpg
56KB, 605x552px
Where do I start leaning vim and why should I even do it? What would be my profit?

I usually just install this: https://github.com/timss/vimconf
For any bigger project I just open sublime.

Ricing and learning vim feels like a 'huge' effort and much time needed to really get down to it.

What's my profit?
>>
>>60173660
wtf is there to learn? you should be able to pick up the basic controls in less than 10 minutes or so

are you really that lazy?
>>
>>60173660
just run vimtutor
>>
There's really no profit to ricing, unless that's something you're into in general. If you're just starting out, it's better to learn on a clean vimrc, without plugins.

>Where do I start learning vim
Learn the basics. Know what the most important 3 modes are (normal, insert, command), what the purpose of each is, how to get from one to another.

I learned vim incrementally. Don't download a huge cheatsheet that tries to cram everything in on one image. Handwrite a small cheatsheet with the most basic commands on a Post-It note and keep it next to you while working. If you're just starting out, write down basic navigation (h/j/k/l, w/W/b/B/, gg/G), basic instructions to enter insert mode (i/I/a/A), basic text modification commands (y/d/p), how to exit (:wq, :q!).
If you've used vim before and know these very basics already, add something new to your arsenal. $/^/0 for going to the end/beginning of line. / for searching through a file. c/s/r for quicker changes.
Once you master everything on one cheatsheet (shouldn't take more than a few days), make a new one, with new commands you want to learn. Eventually you'll get to registers, marks, macros, :s///, ^N/^P for code completion, and so on.
Before you know it, you'll be able to do with this tiny text editor that can be found on pretty much any Linux machine more than you can with other text editors, and with less effort. Just need to put some extra effort in the beginning to actually learn it.
>>
>>60174142
>wtf is there to learn?
I know the hotkeys n shit, but switching between files can be a real pain in the ass.
On sublime I just open them with one click
>>
>>60174481
Are you splitting your windows? Splits are an important part of the vim workflow. Once you start needing a whole lot of files open, using vim tabs might also be useful.

You might find plugins like NERDTree or CtrlP useful as well.
>>
>>60174615
>NERDTree
why dont u just use :Vex or configure netrw a little bit
>>
>>60174228
Thanks for the quality post, these are pretty rare among nvidia/amd and OSes autistic fights
>>
>>60174615
>Splits are an important part of the vim workflow.
holy shit stop.
>>
>>60173660
>Where do I start
vimtutor is very good, google anything you need after

>why should I even do it? What would be my profit
very quick, very comfy, customizable
>>
>>60173660
do this for 1 hour:
https://vim-adventures.com/
>>
>>60173660
>Ricing and learning vim feels like a 'huge' effort and much time needed to really get down to it.
you're not wrong. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, but in the past few years I've taken to learning a few odd commands and taken the time to customize vim (well, neovim now) to my liking

I'd recommend "Practical Vim" by Drew Neil and just reading a little at a time

also look around on http://vimawesome.com/ and see if there's anything that might be useful to try out. http://github.com/junegunn/vim-plug makes installing and removing plugins really easy

I definitely don't think the "use HJKL exclusively and NO MOUSE" mentality is good advice but vim has a LOT of features and is very powerful so it's a shame not to find out what it can do for you
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.