[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Haha. Hahahahahaha. http://www.agner.org/optimize/optim iz

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

Haha.

Hahahahahaha.

http://www.agner.org/optimize/optimization_manuals.zip
>>
>using KDE
Now THAT'S horrifying.
>>
>>60169411
So basically, once developers start optimizing for these execution units, shit's going to get real?
>>
>KDE
Draw a dicc on your face if u r in danger
>>
>>60169426
Sounds about right.

But it's a politics game at this point, the consumer market is hard to win over, but the high end server market writes code that targets specific architectures so they can get full advantage of this.
>>
Seems that Linux compilers do take some advantage to a degree, but it's pretty application specific.
>>
Whoever he is he's lying through his teeth
>>
>>60169426
>c-cell is going to revolutionize everything! devs just have to get used to it!
>8 cores with each core 1/4th as powerful as modern x86 cores are going to revolutionize everything! devs just have to get used to it!
I've heard this same story so many times. It never happens, and even when it does, by that time the CPU is so out of date it's unusable anyways.
I REALLY don't think this issue in particular is that big a deal, though.
>>
>>60171643
literally just vector instructions, who uses vector instructions on fucking CPU?
>>
>>60169411
Oh well, Skylake-EX/EP is DOA then.
>>
>>60171680
Compilers
>>
>>60171725
Why does Ryzen compile shit faster then?
>>
>>60171730
Ryzen is shit
>>
>>60169565
>Whoever he is
>he doesn't know who Agner fog is
>>
>>60171680
>who uses vector instructions on fucking CPU?
anyone know? I have no idea, it's so niche
xeon phi does it, right? that's it
>>
>>60171730
Because its a very para load by its nature and doesn't need intensive scheduling like a real time gayme. You could have a 1000 cores and GCC will use them all
>>
>>60174033
>You could have a 1000 cores and GCC will use them all
Actually, compiling is extremely serial, so compilers never bother to multithread, because there is basically zero performance advantage.
You can run multiple instances of the compiler, though. It'll only work for the number of files you have.
>>
>>60174064
That doesn't seem to be the case at all.
>>
>>60174086
that is why article says that ryzen has higher IPC
>>
>>60174086
Holy shit that 1700 is so fucking tempting, basically is powered off the friction of molecules in air and its MT capabilities are just a lick from the 6900k, I can plop it in a $70 motherboard and I get a decent cooler on top of it.

This is seriously the best chip in the Ryzen lineup, only the 1600 comes close.
>>
>>60174064
That wasn't me that replied with the graph.
I don't have that much of a deep understanding as far as optimizing software goes and was mostly just parroting. I'll need to do some reading about it on my own as my school is a joke.
Anyway, I was under the impression that there were two big groups of software as far as multi core utilization goes. You have things like vidya that are hard to schedule because they are interactive and you cannot predict the future work load. Then in the other group you have software that perfectly utilizes multiple cores and I was under the impression that compiling was one of them. VIdeo rendering being another one.
Maybe I'm taking what you're saying wrong but compiling is a bunch of small tasks and those individual tasks rely on single thread performance but they can be spread across all cores? How is this different than any other easily parallel task?
>>
>>60174549
When I said "compiling is extremely serial", I really mean "compiling a single file is extremely serial". There are many stages to compiling a file, and they all rely on the previous one. There is no point multithreading because the threads will always be stuck waiting for the previous stage to be finished.
That's just a single file, though. You can compile different files independently of each other. So these "compiling with" benchmarks with N files (N might equal the number of cores, but maybe not), opening a different instance of a compiler for each of them.
Projects like Linux have literally thousands of different files to compile, so seeing how quickly you can compile all of them is a pretty good benchmark.
>>
>>60174644
I understand, but what about software that isn't as complex as the Linux kernel. Say you wanted to compile firefox or other similar desktop applications from source in gentoo or something, would they also benefit from the many threads?
If I were to compile one singular C or C++ file, one long ass 1230912093 line source code file, it would only use one thread?
>>
File: 86473.png (27KB, 650x337px) Image search: [Google]
86473.png
27KB, 650x337px
>>60174814
These things are easily googleable
>>
>>60174814
>firefox
That's not a good example, as it's also massive. It's also C++, so it means that compile times are REALLY fucking slow. C programs compile much quicker.
>would they also benefit from the many threads?
Yes. Most non-trivial programs have lots of source files.
>If I were to compile one singular C or C++ file, one long ass 1230912093 line source code file, it would only use one thread?
Yes.
>>
>>60174845
>chromium takes 9x longer to compile than the linux kernel
browsers have gone too far
>>
>>60174891
C++ was a mistake.
>>
>>60174891
Browsers are C++ and plenty of java/js/python/etc

Linux kernel is mostly C
>>
File: o2572456.png (3MB, 1920x1300px) Image search: [Google]
o2572456.png
3MB, 1920x1300px
>>60174845
I enjoy talking to people sometimes and it's a some what difficult thing to google. What would the query look like "how parallel is gcc", "nature of compilation". I could have but this guy that responded to me sounds very knowledgeable and so I asked him. Fuck you.
>>60174861
Thank you
>>
>>60171680
>matrix and vector calculations
>buffer mixing
>fast memcpy or string operations
>taylor series calculations

There are a lot of uses. They're pretty popular in 3d graphics and audio libraries. They only really matter if you're doing something where performance really matters, since SSE and AVX are a pain in the ass to work with.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.