[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What cool shit has /g/ done with their Raspberry Pi? Pics preferred

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 25

File: 1914-01.jpg (362KB, 1700x1274px) Image search: [Google]
1914-01.jpg
362KB, 1700x1274px
What cool shit has /g/ done with their Raspberry Pi?

Pics preferred but not required.
>>
I just installed OSMC with Exodus and use it to stream any tv show I can think of on my living room tv
>>
I got mine talking RS232 to an Arduino via the GPIO pins. Needed to use a logic level converter to step down the voltage. I then was able to show the value of a potentiometer in a terminal via ssh to the pi.
Absolutely useless exersize but was pretty fun anyway.
>>
I spent two days getting openvpn to work. When it finally worked, I connected to it from my PC and it would snow connected but actually just use the normal home wifi directly.

In the end I just opened another port for remote desktop. It's slow as fuck ofc. Also having open ports on a router is unsafe
>>
How much did you pay for yours? I just checked and they're still >$30 on amazon in the US.
>>
image hosting and an ircd that only has me and my bot
I'd use it for vpn too but I have a dedicated server so whatever
you could set up rutorrent/iodine/an ftpd/a git repo/a mailserver/etc
>>
Selling it as small retro gaming console $$
>>
I posted this last thread, but I have a pi zero inside a small enclosure with a few flash drives, a portable battery, and use it to leech the local coffee shop's fibre wifi for downloading torrents or mega links.

There's a spot in the bathroom ceiling that lifts up and I stash it up there. It lasts for about twelve or so hours on the battery. I use the transmission web ui to load torrents and ssh/megatools to download mega.nz links.

I have about 512gb of storage via the flash drives in there with it, and I typically fill it all up. I'll plant it near the end of the day one day, then go pick it up around lunch time the next day. Their wifi password doesn't change and they leave it on all night, just using consumer router and shit, so there's no kind of monitoring.

It's really more of a novelty, but it makes me feel like I'm hacking the planet.
>>
File: 1493578912759.png (2MB, 1440x1434px) Image search: [Google]
1493578912759.png
2MB, 1440x1434px
>>60147693
I made a hidden camera on my sleeve that I use for creepshot threads on /b/
>>
>>60149792
Good idea, torrenting gets you in a lot of shit here, time to hit some hipster cafes.
>>
File: feels good man.jpg (58KB, 680x772px) Image search: [Google]
feels good man.jpg
58KB, 680x772px
>>60149957
>>
My Pi Zero that was running PiHole stopped working right last night. Scrapped it instead of fixing it cause it wasn't worth the effort, and now I'm running it as a print server for this LaserJet I stole from work.

The Pi 3 is set up with Retro Pi and Kodi. Also have an external HDD attached so I can torrent straight to it. I'm subscribed to AirVPN, so I just use their CLI client with it too.
>>
>>60149957
I'm not? how do you think people get those pictures so easily?
>>
Made my normal TV into a smart tv to stream YouTube and stuff. That's the brightest I could come up with.
>>
If have pics if I still worked at this place.
I used a Rapberry Pi Zero as the NC for a small 4 axis gantry robot. And the RPI0 was controlled via a ThinkPad R30, where the programs were all stored.

Basically with a small IR camera it would view a part on a conveyor belt, pick it up and rotate it to a correct position.
The machine the conveyor fed was loaded by a robotic arm but the arm was really bad at picking up parts correctly.
So there was always a temp watching the belt, lining up parts.
4 days, 1900$ later, we fired a temp and replaced him with a robot the size of a briefcase.
I can't go into explicit detail on what it used, because its 50% I can't remember and 50% boss told me to not talk about it. It works on Pascal and Lua, the camera software was basically ripped from the Fanuc irmate software, and the actual design of it was a simple set of extruded aluminum tracks and screw based movement (think of CD drives moving the laser head)
Little grabber would center over a part, rotate, descend and grab, lift, rotate to the correct position and put it back down. Did this all in about 3 seconds before the next machine cycle when the belt moved again.

When i got fired they wanted me to train someone else how to use it, I told them to fuck off, last I heard the Fanuc service tech spent 2 weeks there learning how to use it, good money for him I guess.

It was a good use of my 5$ mini computer.
>>
Why does my RPi3 use 100% cpu to play the connect 4 game on rasbian?
>>
File: recalbox.jpg (21KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
recalbox.jpg
21KB, 960x540px
>>
>>60151684

Glad you got what you deserved you piece of shit.
>>
>>60151738
>make a robot that replaces a guy who makes 10$/hr
>drastically increases production rate
>lowers amount of robot arm crashes
Not a hint of remorse
Only reason I left on shit terms is because they fired the important people who made shit work and left my entire shift to one really angry polish guy. 2Nd shift had 3 operators for 3 machines, one person cannot run all 3 without problems, but they did anyway because captain Poland said he could.
(Spoiler, he couldn't do it)
Got a better job anyway
>>
File: 1491816070745.jpg (17KB, 236x709px) Image search: [Google]
1491816070745.jpg
17KB, 236x709px
coolest thing I did was overvolting it until it stated melting
>>
I tossed it into a wood chipper. The bits that came out were shinier than expected.
>>
File: chrome_2017-05-01_01-56-09.png (65KB, 917x384px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-05-01_01-56-09.png
65KB, 917x384px
Used it with a SDR dongle for a while to track & map overhead planes, the novelty wore off pretty quick though.
Thinking about putting RISC OS on there and messing around, maybe try working on some of those bounties they have going.
>>
>>60149818
pics of your setup? what do you use? (besides the pi)
>>
I was using mine as a home server, but it didn't have the network speed or CPU power I wanted.
>>
>>60149792
Teach me plz
>>
I use mine as a Plex client running on RasPlex, works perfectly.
>>
>>60147693
I just use it as a game console.
>>
>>60152531

I'm going to do this with mine. Hook up a 2tb HDD for storage.
>>
>>60149792
how do you issue it commands for downloading stuff remotely?
>>
relay controller for lights, water and feed system for 200 medical cannabis plants
>>
>>60151702
raspbian isn't really used for gaming or video, games run a lot better on an OS geared for it.
I'm not the most tech literate guy, just pointing out things I've noticed.
>>
I just run NoTrack on Minibian.
>>
>>60152985
If you're talking about RetroPie or OSMC, those are both Raspbian.

LibreELEC and (maybe) Lakka are built from the ground up.
>>
>>60149792
That's actually really smart
>>
>>60152531
>RasPlex

Why not LibreELEC with a Plex plugin for Kodi? Then you're not limited just to Plex.
>>
>>60149818
What a nice ass...
>>
>>60147693
I made a robot that identifies people based on skin colour then culls the undesirables
>>
How good is a Pi 3 as a web server for dynamic content?
>>
>>60152730
Probably SSH over the internet I'd guess
>>
File: 2017-03-15 07.17.27.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-15 07.17.27.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
I created a car audio station using Volumio.

I added a wireless router with a 3G dongle so that I could control it on my phone by connecting the wireless network and so that when I parked my car at home the router would automatically connect to my home network and sync any new media from my home server onto the Pi.

Although I could control the audio with my phone I also added in some physical buttons to change songs for ease of use when driving.

I added a powered USB hub so I could connect a hard drive and so that when I had friends in the car on road trips they could all charge their phones.

The pic is of when I started the project.
>>
>>60147693
development server / desktop
torrents
massive xternally powered hard drive
scheduled backups
disaster recovery
>>
File: console.jpg (159KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
console.jpg
159KB, 960x720px
>>60153337
Pic related.

I powered it all using a custom built relay panel which included a remote control (mainly used for lighting).
>>
>>60149792
is Pi zero small enough to fit inside an electrical outlet? you could unscrew the cover, place it inside and hook it up to the power and leave it there. You could use it as a VPN of sorts.
>>
I want to do a pi0drone with one but im not sure how and if i can put a camera on it to record/stream
>>
>>60153337
Why though? I don't understand the point of it all. Your phone can already do everything you just listed. What is the point of going through all that effort for something redundant?
>>
>>60147693
Planning to host a site on it using no-ip as my dns
>>
>>60153446
use afraid.org, it's miles better
>>
>>60153446
>>60153457
Domains are dirt cheap lol
>>
>>60153509
Or I could just not spend any money and use a subdomain of my choosing from the hundreds afraid.org has available. Why would I spend money on a site not meant to be very serious
>>
>>60153527
Just eat one less chocolate bar a year.
>>
>>60153541
Or just not spend money because I'm not autistic about 4 extra characters in my domain name.
>>
>>60153547
Why is that chocolate bar so fucking important to you, retard?
>>
>>60153435
The main reason was be able to hold all of my songs without needing to stream them online.

I'm always going on road trips with mates and I'm constantly in places with no internet access so my car gets turned into the groups media player.

Also having the ability to create a playlist on the fly without being stuck in the car was a bonus.

In the end though it was mainly just done because I wanted a new project to work on.
>>
>>60153568
>be a good goy and spend your money

no thanks
>>
>>60153568
why is his choice in domain name so important to you. retard?
>>
>>60153509
I have a domain I just need a host
>>
>>60153402
>small enough
of course
>>
>>60153592
It's one fucking chocolate bar for crying out loud!
>>
File: 3003-00.jpg (270KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
3003-00.jpg
270KB, 1200x900px
>>60147693
neato
>>
>>60153634

got one of those cases and the pi zero for $5 off cana, going to install PiHole and enjoy no ads, speedier internet.
>>
>>60149792
Elliot?
>>
>>60153610
Kill yourself, you dumb fucking shit stain.
>>
>>60153687
What the hell is so important about that one chocolate bar, anon? I seriously cannot fathom why you need that chocolate bar so fucking much.
>>
>>60153337
>wireless router
you can just hook a wifi dongle to the pi and broadcast an SSID and connect to it directly..

that's what I do
I have a pi zero with phat dac connected for perfect audio in my car + a 4tb hard drive

it broadcasts a wifi that I connect to and control it through an interface
>>
This thread is full of Autistic people.

If the task can be done by a PC, then use a PC even a $200 netbook.
The point of the Raspberry Pi that makes it awesome is the GPIO pins and the ability to connect it to the real world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdges9sFhH4

Codesys is pretty amazing for giving you an industrial controller like a PLC for less than $100
>>
Anyone found stock of the Pi Zero W? They're all sold out where I live.

Also interested to know if anyone has tried the BBB, I like the idea of retaining variables.
>>
>>60153719
Sounds nice.

I'm using a Hifiberry DAC+ on mine.

Where did you mount it? Have you got any pics?
>>
>>60153727
>The point of the Raspberry Pi that makes it awesome is the GPIO pins and the ability to connect it to the real world.

Cool so show us your projects than.
>>
>>60153719
>broadcasts a wifi

have fun with your car being hacked
>>
File: zero-terminal.jpg (33KB, 680x389px) Image search: [Google]
zero-terminal.jpg
33KB, 680x389px
>>60153727
Or you could just turn the PI into a pocket sized net book so you can take it anywhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWlZ3B_hq_g
>>
I have it set up to broadcast a public Wi-Fi network called "Traveling Guestbook"

As suggested, the login webpage is actually a guestbook. I've gotten about a hundred entries in the past few months
>>
>>60153779
Happy to, but no photos.
Automated the entry to our workshop, can switch off the alarm and open the roller door from my car.

Also using it as an Ethercat controller for an Industrial servo application, I am a big fan of Codesys, A similar Servo controller from Rexroth is upwards of 2k. PLCOpen is amazing for Servo.. Boards like this are changing the world.
>>
>>60153751

They can be found here, I found one.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/pi-zero/
>>
>>60153708
What the hell is so important about having that paid-for domain name, anon? I seriously cannot fathom why he would need that paid-for domain name so much.
>>
>>60150642
PiHole sounds pretty cool. How did you like it?
>>
>>60153866
You can save your family or a chocolate bar, which do you choose, fatty?
>>
>>60153897
...what's family got to do with a domain name?
>inb4 omg you didn't save your family
of course I would
>>
>>60153597
No he's saying a FQDN, not a subdomain like no-ip offers. Regular domains cost money. Subdomains are given out by DDNS services like no-ip.

>FQDN
google.com

>subdomain
clients.google.com
>>
>>60153891
Not him but I use it in a regular Debian container on my Proxmox server and point my router's DNS entry to it, works great. It doesn't block youtube ads for me, though. Blocking ads on youtube via hosts is becoming increasingly difficult. Nothing works for me anymore besides device-side filters like uBO.
>>
>>60153962
Thanks for the info
>>
NoTrack is better than piHole.
>>
>>60154020
Why? Do you use it?
>>
>>60153804
This guys channel is fucking awesome. Thanks anon.
>>
File: 1487389469187.jpg (132KB, 1024x694px) Image search: [Google]
1487389469187.jpg
132KB, 1024x694px
>What cool shit has /g/ done with their Raspberry Pi?
Running facebook page /shitpostbot9000/
to scrape random images from /pol/ and autopost
100% automatic, unlike most """"bots""""
>>
>>60152730
He said he uses Transmission. It's a torrent client which has a remote control option. Basically you put the transmission remote client on your phone or pc and you pick a .torrent or magnet link and it will redirect it to your raspberry's torrent client.
You can even schedule the downloads and such.
>>
>>60153402
The pi itself is small enough, but don't forget that you need your memory as well as the transformer to bring down the voltage for it. Not sure you'd be able to pack all of that in with the wiring that's in there already.
>>
>>60153781
what
good luck hacking even a wep password while I drive by at 20mph and you're out of range in 3 seconds..
>>60153769
I have a little cubby under my car stereo deck and just put it in there and ran an AUX to the stereo, nothing special

how do you like the hifiberry? I see it's more than the phat dac
when I got it I just had to buy a raspberry pi zero kit because the zero by itself wasn't available, so I got the phat dac + pi zero kit
seems to be great, quality is good and I have the RCA cables too if I want to hook it on a home sound system
>>
>>60153804
how much would that cost to make?
>>
>>60149792
I remember you posting the idea and everyone calling you a retard. So how long does the battery last?
>>
>>60147693
I haven't done it yet, but I plan on getting a bluetooth obd2 reader and using that to log all of the information it can (primarily fuel consumption so I can track my gas millage automatically
I'd also like to get a solar panel that I could either use to charge the pi or the battery if it where to die.
>>60153891
It's just a dns server
I'd imagine that you leave at least one of your computers running 24/7 so you could just set up a dns server on that.
>>60151702
do you have enough power?
If you see a yellow lightning bolt on your screen that's because it doesn't have enough power so it's throttling the cpu so it doesn't crash.
>>
How to create hotspot for raspberry pi zero w? Can i just blindly copy this https://learn.adafruit.com/setting-up-a-raspberry-pi-as-a-wifi-access-point/overview
>>
I bought mine a week ago but didn't have the motivation to unpack it yet :(
>>
>>60155757
Pretty much, yes.
>>
>>60155757
>but its still only a half hour of typing to configure.
>half an hour of typing
God I hope not.
>>
File: rasp pi 3b.png (316KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
rasp pi 3b.png
316KB, 1024x768px
Raspbery Pi 3 Model B with DietPi and Pihole.
That's it.
>>
>>60147693
I put mine in my pocket and then went to your mom's house and took her to pound town.
>>
>>60153944
clients.google.com would be an example of an fqdn
stop using terms you dont understand
>>
File: pi.jpg (201KB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
pi.jpg
201KB, 900x1600px
Where it belongs.
>>
I'm using a BeagleBone to make a little robot that reacts to Twitch events. (Bits, donations, subs, follows, chat commands)

It's a neat thing. I can only do a few little lights now, because I can only afford that, I'm saving up for the bigger hardware.
>>
>>60156173
Is that Marijuana son? Am I gonna have to come upstairs and beat your ass.
>>
Is there any "universally accepted" design for using it as gnu/linux phablet? There are lots of designs on internet but everyone does it different
>>
File: _RIP9919a.jpg (180KB, 693x871px) Image search: [Google]
_RIP9919a.jpg
180KB, 693x871px
Every day until my new oPis arrive to add to my cluster.
>>
Literally live at my dads house. Thanks for confirming my faggotness.
>>
I was thinking about getting a Pi and camera and building a robot equipped with computer vision using OpenCV.
I have a whole bunch of atmega and esp8266 MCUs but obviously they're not up to that job. Need something beefier.

Oh and I'll probably get a Pi to use as a domotics server.
>>
>>60153804
Really triggers me that the keyboards width is less than the cases
>>
File: image.jpg (108KB, 940x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108KB, 940x960px
>>60153813
You are nice.
>>
File: ,.png (168KB, 727x682px) Image search: [Google]
,.png
168KB, 727x682px
this >>60157034

Has anyone ever used jekyll? Thinking about switching to it as it seems to have more support than hugo
>>
>>60153866
You dont shit out the domain after use
>>
>windows iot
>c#
>http server
>flashes leds when i give it a string
>put leds on monitor
>blinding flashing when people break a game
>>
>>60149818
You didn't take that pic, faggot. kys
>>
>>60153541
Go drink some bleach and shoot yourself in the mouth, you dumbfuck sack of shit.
>>
>>60159638
Not nice
>>
put Rune Audio on it, installed transmission, then hooked it up to my NAS using sshfs, and put a i2cs USB DAC on it, so i can play music from it, and torrent new shit, from anywhere in the world.
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (97KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
97KB, 1920x1080px
I've considered it, though truthfully I know nothing about EE and have no idea if it's even feasible, but I like the idea of modding an old game console to be compatible with most bluetooth controllers (ideally, PS4, Wii U Pro, any of those snazzy 8bitdo controllers, etc.) by slapping a Zero W in there and somehow routing some of the console's power to the pi (such that the pi can be powered even when the console is off), then compiling a really basic OS with an optional gui launcher with a few extra settings, but basically it would function as a wireless receiver for bluetooth controllers, and then re-route the inputs back to the console. Bonus points if I can do it without "overwriting" the physical controller inputs.

I'm honestly not even sure where to start looking for this kind of information. I only understand console modding insofar as youtube videos can teach me.
>>
has anyone tried Intel Edison or Lattepanda? Any thoughts of it?
>>
>>60153541
>on diet
>literally only buy milk and bread because no interest in soda/chocolate/chips so I'm barely spending any money
>also found out that fruit is delicious
/blog

I use my raspberry pi to play nes games
>>
>tfw I didn"t get to have a raspberry pi zero for $5
I'm still having a model B from the first gen that I use like an arduino.
I'm eyeing the model 3 to use as a main computer for shitposting purpose.
>>
>tfw beaglebone black can't run a minetest server at a reasonable speed

>>60153804
this is what i did plus using framebuffer copying to make it able to show vidya like he does through hdmi
>>
A botnet in a botnet

User "pi" automatically logs in and starts a node.js application, which connects to Steam and then just sits in a few different chat rooms, logging every single message. It also hosts HTTP, SSH and a lot of other shit for me to control it. And it has an automatic restart mechanism in case node decides to commit sudoku.
>>
>>60149792
Do you use a pi zero? Isn't it easier to use it as proxy, so you don't have to put a HD on it?
Did you consider connecting it to the cords that power the lamps or something?
>>
>>60153055
They are trimmed down versions, though.
>>60153727
No, there are some motherboards with gpio pins.
The point of the pi is having a real computer with a small size and low energy consumption.
>>
>>60149792
that is fucking nice
>>
>>60149792
How do you ssh in it?
Does their router bought from the local store allows port forwarding?
>>
>>60159683
Noice. I use mine with moodeaudio because I have a Hifiberry Digi+ Pro which was not supported by Volumio and Rune at the time I bought it. Now the moodedev decided to cash out and wants money for every major release.
>>
pi v4 when
>>
>>60161179
>how to ssh
>port forwarding

install openssh-server
if firewall, open port

router, you configure to 'forward' (open ports)
>>
>>60149792
I'd be worried if someone saw you planting it and called the cops on you for planting a bomb or something.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170501-094939.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170501-094939.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
>>60147693
Made a plane tracker using SDR and ads-b information. The code is mainly dump1090. I haven't written it myself.

http://ads-b.hayastan.tech:8080
>>
>>60147693
My Raspberry Pi history
>get Raspberry Pi years ago
>install Raspbian
>let it collect dust for a while
>connect it to my TV and use it to watch anime on
>get a TV at the end of my bed connected to my computer and start watching anime on that
>let the Pi collect dust for a few years
>last year install Retro Pi on it and think that i should play some old games
>don't and let it collect more dust
>now
>>
I made a catfeeder out of a candy dispenser.

It also has a USB camera that I ripped off of an old laptop (I'm too cheap to buy the raspi camera) that I use to record videos of my cat eating with Motion.
>>
>>60149792
you sly demon
>>
>>60159806

Edison is weird because it costs so much. The pi is already kind of hard to use because anything it can do my pc or nas server can do better. The price is what makes it a thing. Especially the 5 one.

Anyone know of a way to open heavy curtains automatically? Want to black out my bedroom and put it on an alarm.
>>
Mini curiousity Rover
>>
>>60161314
>There's a spot in the bathroom
Probably aren't stalls in a coffee shop
>>
File: Capture.png (39KB, 603x994px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
39KB, 603x994px
>>60147693
>What cool shit has /g/ done with their Raspberry Pi?
I had nothing but problems with the Pi.
>>
>>60161814
Ya, you could get a motor shield (or whatever the equivalent is called for the rpi) and just gear it down to account for the heavy draw on the curtains/ low motor torque. Can use a limit switch to stop it (same as a 3d printer), and just use a traverse rod or something for it to slide along (or nigrig something if you wanna retrofit an existing curtain rod)
>>
Not a Pi, but I'm using a BeagleBone Black as the core of my quadcopter. Still making it, so no pictures. In fact I haven't got anything yet, all I've got so far is a few python scripts that will log BBB inputs, and one that will graph plot numbers in real time.

I wanted to make a cheap oscilloscope so I could see the inputs on my computer while I'm building the quadcopter.

Having trouble getting the BB to speak to the computer though. Would serial or using ethernet sockets be better? I kinda wish it was like the Arduino that you can just plug and get serial data in.
>>
volumio to my bookshelf speakers. I just use airplay to stream audio to it but it allows me to do it from any room/device without worrying about bluetooth choppiness
>>
>>60162191
There are some guides online for setting up serial stuff with the beaglebone, which is pretty straightforward

Depends on what is easy for you. If you have a USB-serial device, then you could use some existing Processing code (language/ IDE often used with Arduino) to display your data.

Alternatively, you could probably use something like netcat to send shit directly over the network, without needing to write any really net coms, if you want to prototype it with Ethernet/ IP.
>>
File: led random flicker.webm (657KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
led random flicker.webm
657KB, 640x480px
Started with my rpi3 yesterday, hooked some leds to it.
The are blinking randomly, independent from each other. Each led has its own thread.

Ive been staring at this for the past two hours, trying to extract the meaning of life from it.
>>
>>60147693
I like to use the TrustZone core to run my signed binaries remotely on all RPis connected to the internet for uhm... auditing.

--ARM Holdings dev
>>
>>60152763
noice. can you describe your system? custom software?
>>
>>60149248
That sounds cool and interesting and difficult
>>
>>60152763
Whats your power consumtion on 200 plants?
20 kW?
>>
>>60153727
>The point of the Raspberry Pi that makes it awesome is the GPIO pins and the ability to connect it to the real world.
>If the task can be done by a PC, then use a PC even a $200 netbook.
but the Pi is much cheaper than a pc, you tard
the point of the Pi was to teach kids about computers and shit, but its novelty actually is, to be a cheap computer that also has some nice features
>>
File: picase.jpg (384KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
picase.jpg
384KB, 1500x1500px
I'm going to be running a programming club at a highschool in the near future. I'm thinking of buying a bunch of pic related and creating a cheap lab of Pi's with Linux installed, and then allow students to use them and teach them to program with python.

Good idea? Bad idea?
>>
>>60163846
what tasks do you have in mind anon
>>
Here's what i use mine for:

>2 CCTV USB cameras on motionEye
>PiHole
>PiNAS
>Minecraft Server
>Terraria Server
>Wordpress Server
>DDNS Server
>OpenVPN Server
>IRC Server

das it
>>
>>60153727
>CODESYS Control for Raspberry Pi SL
>€50.00 plus VAT
thanks mr CODESYS marketer
>>
>>60163846
I'd do a Python programming course without the rpi first.
Rpi always involves electronics which might overconfuse people who are already struggling with coding.
Once the fundamental coding knowledge is enough you can step up to rpi experimenting.
>>
>>60163933
>Rpi always involves electronics

no it doesn't

the fact that it has GPIOs doesn't mean it stops being a regular computer
>>
>>60163933
Well I was planning on physically building them all myself, and just having the students do the Linux install (probably Mint) and then get to the programming. So they probably won't have to mess with the things at the hardware level.
>>
File: 1479766348080.jpg (143KB, 1615x998px) Image search: [Google]
1479766348080.jpg
143KB, 1615x998px
My cheap laptop.

Pi3 hooked up to a Motorola lapdock and extra battery.
>>
>>60164008
I don't think there's mint for the rpi
You don't actually install the OS, you flash an image with the OS already installed to a micro SD card
I recommend you to just use raspbian, it's the official OS for the rpi and the most supported
>>
>>60164012
Been meaning to do that with my Ci20, I just wish it was a bit smaller
>>
>>60161179
you can use free version of ngrok if you don't want to port forward
>>
>>60164064
Thank you. I haven't looked into the Pi very much since this is all a recent development.
>>
>>60163914
Thats 90% networking stuff and the pi's networking capabilities are quite limited because ethernet is just set on top of a shared USB 2.0 lane.
Maybe a banana pi or something would be better because of real gigabit ethernet and real sata.
>>
I'm working on making my own NAS type thing in Node.js to run on my pi, just for personal use.

Basically it will list any external drives currently connected to the pi, and allow me to stream movies and shit over the network.
>>
>>60164008
If you just want to use the pi as a computer to program on its not even that bad because raspbian comes with a lot of programming tools preinstalled and theres not much difference between a regular desktop for coding.
>>
>>60164531
This; I think the newer versions even boot right into X right after you log in.

And while most students will probably be unfamiliar with flashing an OS, once they've done that, the fact that there's not too much else to install will be nice.

There's some cool stuff on there; Minecraft Pi edition even has a Python API.
>>
Use first gens at work along with arduinos for running things around the lab. Have a 3 now being set up for my car stereo.
>>
I tried to make it an SNES emulator box, but the emulator I downloaded runs like shit on it, and I never bothered to tinker with it.
>>
Is the orangepi prime any good?
>>
I have an NES that I pulled out of my mom's garage that doesn't work. I bought one on a whim one day with aspirations of using the NES to house it and an sd card, and replacing the controller ports with USB ports for USB controllers...but I never got around to it. The PI is still in the original packaging.
>>
>>60164482
how has that worked out for you? I was thinking of doing the same, but with plex. heard 1080, with no encoding worked okay, but don't know how that would translate to anime with subtitles.

regardless, my main objective is to get a working nas compatible time capsule for my back ups.
>>
File: nadine_live.png (336KB, 600x412px) Image search: [Google]
nadine_live.png
336KB, 600x412px
A concrete floppy jukebox, that autoloads and execute the content on the floppy (pure data patch and/or python code) and also serves swappable mini static websites over a local hotspot. It can be also used as an instrument using picam as input or capacitive sensors.

https://issue.xpub.nl/02/
Thread posts: 167
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.