[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the advantage of partitioning a disk? I've had separate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: hard-disk-partition.jpg (36KB, 633x344px) Image search: [Google]
hard-disk-partition.jpg
36KB, 633x344px
What is the advantage of partitioning a disk? I've had separate /, /home, and /boot as well as single partition drives and haven't had a problem with either.
>>
>>60138053
different boot partitions
great for having a partition for programs and user files. another for the operating system so you don't lose everything when you need to format.

that image is retarded.
>>
Having / and /home separate is good for if you need to reinstall your operating system for some reason, or want to try a new one entirely, and still keep your stuff without having to back it up.

Just format /, mount it along with /home, and install something else while still getting to keep all your stuff on /home.
>>
Because I don't want to backup and transfer 200GB of data to my home folder every time I clean install, which I do every 6 months or so
>>
>>60138119
>clean install
>every six months
Why do you do this?
>>
>>60138119
>every six months

Wow. You must have a lot of time on your hands.

I used to try new distros (PC) and ROM (Phone/tablet) when I was in college. But now, I can't even think of doing that.
>>
>>60138053
For spinning disks, speed. Most access patterns are localized. As the disk fills, files that should be local are now spread across the disk. Linux with its, 'I don't need no disk defragmentation" is broken by design in this respect. In its effort to write with as few fragments as possible, it writes all over the disk, destroying seek times.
Partitioning limits the mixing of files and limits the distance a file can travel
>>
>>60138124
>>60138173
he's too poor for windows and too paranoid to use hacktivator, so he re installs once the windows trial runs out..
top kek.
>>
Anoyone here ever tried `e2defrag` or `e2freefrag` ?
>>
>>60138053
I have my 2x4tb raid partitioned into 4 partitions based off of the distance from the center of the platters. (I think.. multiple platters and all.. it seems to work).

I do this so I can have vms accessed more quickly in the first partition, and based on they type of data stored, Ill put it farther out on the drive.

The result is I typically see transfers of over or around 100 - 120 mbps for the innermost partition. Sometimes according to nemo, it transfers at over 300mbps but I feel thats probably bullshit.
The last partition will typically see speeds around 40-60 mbps.

The resulting speeds are sometimes not what I expect, but mostly the speed to partition location is what I figured would happen.

Also, if you use swap its good to have it on the innermost section of the disc
>>
>>60138209
>>60138088
>>
>>60138124
fedora
>>
>>60138173
>Wow. You must have a lot of time on your hands.

if you know what you're doing it's probably 2 hours at most doing it completely manually, most of which can be left unattended and the whole setup can be done over ssh from another machine

if you want to automate it and it's a nice distro for doing so you can basically get it down to next to no time outside of actually downloading and installing the boot media and fresh packages with a minimal amount of startup time

if you can't spare maybe 3 hours every 6 months you might want to re-evaluate your life
>>
you can get a 1tb WD for £40, I don't see any need to partition when HDDs are dirt cheap.
>>
One use for them is limiting how much an application can write to disk.

You can also use them to avoid disk fragmentation. Let frequently modified files have their own partition.

Separate read/write mount options.

Having two operating systems, moving files between OSes, also keeping personal files separate from the OS to ease upgrade.
>>
historical:
- filesystems had small volume limits, and when newer hdd's started to surpass them, partitioning was one way to avoid the filesystem limitations

on hdds:
- the 'start' of the drive is faster and more responsive than the 'end', so partitioning off space at the start for most-accessed data such as an OS, you can get better overall performance
- easier to manage free space and fragmentation for certain data sets when they're separated like this as well, which also affects performance

ssds:
nothing, really, unless you need to use different filesystems (for example, ntfs for windows, ext4 for linux, fat32 for UEFI)
they perform the same regardless of where data is on them, more or less
>>
>>60138053
Not a great deal these days. If you expect to need/want to reinstall the operating system, it's nice to have /home on its own partition so you don't need to manually copy everything you want kept to somewhere else. For some use cases, it's handy to have /boot separate, but usually not vital.

I do have separate /boot on my SSD, but I can't remember if it was necessary for my setup (UEFI and dual booting with Windows) or merely more convenient for some reason.
>>
File: 1480357850028.jpg (17KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
1480357850028.jpg
17KB, 225x224px
>>60138053
>partitioning thread.
I guess this relates to my issue.

Hey /g/ I have a weird problem with my western digital drive. I use Windows 10.

When I move files to it, after a minute or two it freezes. The hard drive use stays at 100% but the transfer rate goes to 0 b/s (checked with task manager).

What I have done
>ran HD lifeguard test from WD's site, it passed BOTH extended and quick test without faulty sectors.
>ran another check from test disk and it passed it.
>IT DID NOT FREEZE DURING THESE.

>Formatted it with NTFS+default allocation size+quick format
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.