[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Just got accepted into computer engineering program >Actually

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Really close friends.png (413KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
Really close friends.png
413KB, 750x750px
>Just got accepted into computer engineering program
>Actually completely shit with computers right now

What do I do, /g/?
>>
are you good at maths?
>>
>>60115325
I'm passable at maths. Started looking at calc. 2 ahead of time and it's comprehensible.
>>
>>60115342
i dont do comp sci but my friend does it and he said that maths is almost all of the course
>>
>>60115318
Install Linux and force yourself to use it.

You will pick up lots of helpful knowledge
>>
>>60115548
Considering doing it either in a vm or partitioning one of my drives to boot from it. Apparently my intro to ECE professor only assigns stuff that uses Linux-compatible software for the very reason he expects us to start using it.
>>
>>60115318

Everything in school, from physics to CS to math is just hard work. Create a consistent habit of studying 6-8 hours a day not including classes. Study more when tests are coming. Go to meetup groups. Go to professor office house when you need help. Don't be afraid to ask questions when you are confused.

Focus very hard on the fundamentals of CS. Make sure you think of ideas for personal projects and do them, this will get you internships a lot easier than autist level asian GPAs.

>>60115548

I also second this.

Last thing, don't listen to anyone who tells you it's not a good major. You will have a good salary for the rest of your life. You can work for giant companies or tiny companies. You can move anywhere in the world you want. You will learn an actual trade, not just have a degree and connections.
>>
>>60115318
It's not about computers

It's math
>>
>>60115318

Computer Science is a misnomer, it's really Computer Mathematics.

Computer Engineering is essentially applied Computer Mathematics.

If you can handle discrete math, you will be fine.

... whether or not you enjoy it at all will be another matter. I believe you'll be perfectly capable of the coursework (if you're a reasonable student a competent in math), but it's going to be a slog for you.

Physics, mathematics, computer science / engineering, and chemistry are disciplines that can be very tedious as a program major unless you're a bit of an enthusiast.
>>
>>60115318
imma computer engineering major. basically the school im at loves C. so get to love whatever langauge they push in your courses. but you only need it for 5 classes. im taking calc 2 and i shouldve studied more. figures why i am here amirite. but everything is basically applied math and computer logic
>>
>>60115318
Switch to EE.
>>
>>60115983
I have a friend that's a senior in EE. Why should I switch?
>>
>>60116022
I just figured since you don't know anything about computers, you're not really interested in them. EE job prospects aren't that great though compared to CS, which you can position yourself more for if you do comp e.
>>
>>60115318
It doesn't matter because college is a place where children learn stuff. You don't need to know shit.
>>
>>60115318
If it's not a shit course (and you're not lazy), you'll learn everything you need.
I'm in something between CS and CE (not murrikan, so it's named differently), and most people didn't know anything about computers, and those who weren't lazy are doing fine.
>>
I'm in my 3rd year in Computer Engineering and you gotta be hella good at math to pass anything past your basic Signals and Systems course. I only now started taking computer science electives, as the degree requires and if you're worried about how code intensive it is; as of now I can say you should not be worried and hopefully by your 3rd year you grow a yearning to study about "computers"
>>
>>60115318
You don't have to be good at computers. They'll teach you. That's whole idea.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.