[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would a massively multi core processor built on a modern process

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: HP 9000 712 cluster.jpg (486KB, 2207x2496px) Image search: [Google]
HP 9000 712 cluster.jpg
486KB, 2207x2496px
Would a massively multi core processor built on a modern process using an old 8 bit architecture like the MOS 6502 or the Zilog Z80 be useful for anything? Considering some GPUs have over 15 billion transistors, you would be able to fit 4,358,974 MOS 6502 cores or 1,800,000 Zilog Z80 cores on the same chip. Surely this would have to be good for something.
>>
if you have a specific task in mind that involves the manipulation of shit tons of small 8-bit values that can be parallelized, sure
>>
Your question is stupid. Your bottleneck would be memory latency, if you could use 8bit accuracy for anything useful.
>>
>>60106131
I've thought about that before too. Clearly the MOS would be better.

I bet it would parallelize really well, but I don't have much experience with parallel algorithms.

Your main issue will be the fact that each 6502 can only reference up to 64K mem, and you'll have to find a way to implement some form of mutual exclusion on the memory. At that point, the maximum performance you could possibly achieve would be limited by 65336 processors.

tl;dr shared memory, no. each memory for a MOS, sure, let's talk.
>>
>>60106167
it's not really a stupid question even if the idea itself is stupid, there are probably lots and lots of people here who don't understand how parallel computing works and just think it's magic
>>
>>60106167
>if you could use 8bit accuracy for anything useful.
The Zilog Z80 can do 16 bit operations as well. Only reason it isn't considered to be a 16 bit processor is because it uses an 8 bit data bus on the die.
>>
>>60106183
>>60106131
Oh I should probably also mention it would more than likely be better to do something like the Parallela board. Just put a fuck ton of tiny RISC-V cores with dedicated RAM for each of them.
>>
>>60106196
It's a stupid question because regardless of you or others not realizing why it's stupid at the moment, you'll realize why it's stupid if you think about it longer than 3 minutes.
>>
>>60106131
>you would be able to fit 4,358,974 MOS 6502
Hook 4 of them together and have more MOS 6502s than every Commodore 64 ever made combined.
>>
>>60106131
Take this a step further. I bet all the electronics for, say, a G3 iMac could fit on a single die now. Maybe even including a decent amount of RAM for that vintage machine.

Imagine Mac OS 9, older/more efficient software (no electron browser shit), the CPU's memory is sitting next to it running at L2 cache speeds, the only thing off chip is the SSD.

How fucking fast would that fucker be using software from that time period? Would it make our modern stuff look like shit because of bloated software + memory bus?
>>
File: cm200-6.jpg (2MB, 1993x1629px) Image search: [Google]
cm200-6.jpg
2MB, 1993x1629px
>>60106183
don't really think that would be a problem with it, Thinking Machines handled it with 1-bit chips, for example
>>60106206
no, it's still very much an 8-bit chip internally, it can just pair two 8-bit registers together to act as a 16-bit "register" like the 8080 could before it
>>
>>60106292
>the only thing off chip is the SSD.
Why even bother with a separate SSD? If we're going to keep with the topic of putting old hardware on a single chip in ridiculous ways, then why not put that on the die and have it run at cache speeds as well? The lowest model iMac G3 only had a 4 GB hard drive.
>>
>>60106362
>it can just pair two 8-bit registers together to act as a 16-bit "register" like the 8080 could before it
That's how the main registers on the 8086 functioned as well though.
>>
>>60106167
Jesus Christ you toxic sperglord. God forbid somebody actually contributes an interesting question that just happens to offend your ideals and principles for what constitutes a good question.

Get fucked. It's still better than the retarded threads all over here.
>>
>>60106167
> if you could use 8bit accuracy for anything useful.
https://petewarden.com/2015/05/23/why-are-eight-bits-enough-for-deep-neural-networks/
>>
>>60106362
>don't really think that would be a problem with it, Thinking Machines handled it with 1-bit chips, for example
Thinking Machines considered that to be a mistake in restrospect, and they never used 1-bit processors again. They went to interconnecting fairly powerful cores in all subsequent design work.
>>
>>60106131
Google makes these, they call them TPUs
>>
>>60106131

Big transistors are only good to one thing : surviving radiations, so it's perfect for milspec things or Space.
>>
>>60106434
and they were still 16-bit individually
>>60108539
yeah, I was just saying that they could make it work, not that it was particularly the best idea

if I recall they were pretty specialized, mostly in AI research
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.