[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been using it for years but Linux and the terminal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

File: ss-tmux2.png (106KB, 1242x592px) Image search: [Google]
ss-tmux2.png
106KB, 1242x592px
I've been using it for years but Linux and the terminal are slowing me down. All typical file operations (moving, directory navigation, file retrieval+use) are more awkward using the command line, except for rare cases like bulk operations. Vim is a decent text editor once you get used to it but it's not a real IDE: auto-completion of module/library definitions never worked for me (despite being "included"), code refactoring is impossible, and for every missing function there's a broken plugin to make your life even worse.

I kept asking myself why I was up at 1 AM still working on relatively basic tasks, when in college homework assignments were a breeze when I was using the GUI, IDEs and minimized my terminal usage to compiling or what actually required a terminal. So that said, after abusing my body and mind and forcing it and my workflow to conform to the keyboard-only console Unix way, I'm finally saying goodbye to all that and going back to using a mouse and GUI.

The other problem is Linux as a whole. Most productivity apps available on Linux distros are nowhere near as good as their "proprietary" counterparts: (Office, Visio, etc.). Maybe you can run some through Wine (I heard so for PhotoShop) but not all. Dia for example cannot do something as simple as rotate text. If I'm forced to make a presentation I either have to use Impress (yuck) or Beamer (about as fun as hammering nails in your feet when your presentation needs graphics and not math notation).

The last thing I wanted to mention to illustrate the ineffectiveness of the terminal for many tasks is comparing a text-only browser like Elinks to a GUI browser like Chrome. Sure it consumes less resources, but you get what you pay for. Navigation is clunky and awkward, functionality limited, and requires you to memorize a whole bunch of key commands. The same is true for Midnight Commander, mutt, and pretty much every other terminal app: it's kind of okay, but doesn't have a lot of useful features.
>>
>>60099259
>/g/ is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.
>or personal consumer review site.
>>
>>60099259
Now you understand why Linux is a timesink OS.

Hint: use macOS
>>
Example for mutt: try hooking up multiple e-mail accounts in a non-painful way, something Thunderbird (itself a broken app) can do without a hitch.

in b4 some links to some complicated way to do this, missing the point. I guess "complicated" is relative to your pain tolerance.
>>
>>60099318

I always wondered why all my colleagues and superiors were using Macbooks and seemed to get stuff done so fast. I thought my terminal and OSS ways would eventually pay off once I reached a certain point on the learning curve, but nope. They're still getting results faster and I'm still hating wrestling with this shit. The things is, for many tasks there's no alternative on Linux: you HAVE to go into terminal to configure some obscure setting with root privileges because there's no other way.

The other point I wanted to make is that there are people who use macs and still use the terminals much like Linux masochists. Many tips for using Vim etc. are from Mac users, not just Linux.
>>
>>60099259
>All typical file operations (moving, directory navigation, file retrieval+use) are more awkward using the command line
Then get Thunar or something, dummy.

>Vim is a decent text editor once you get used to it but it's not a real IDE
Then get an IDE, dummy.

>...nowhere near as good as their "proprietary" counterparts: (Office...
Libreoffice is basically MS Office 2000. It werks, but "business" features are pretty limited, I agree. For powerpoints, Google slides is pretty comfy.

You don't have to use CLI programs if you don't want to. Painfully learning bizarre interfaces to be a leet haxor doesn't make sense. I don't understand why you're conflating Linux with forced CLI application Hell.

captcha: Chinese Jardin
>>
>>60099558
>Then get Thunar or something, dummy.

Thunar is terrible, for starters there's not even an easy way to map a key to the action of going up in the path. It had some other failures that I can't remember now.

>Libreoffice is basically MS Office 2000. It werks, but "business" features are pretty limited, I agree.

Beg to differ to some extent, MS Office 2000 for example had a huge clipart library you could do tons of stuff with. LibreOffice doesn't have that.

>You don't have to use CLI programs if you don't want to. Painfully learning bizarre interfaces to be a leet haxor doesn't make sense. I don't understand why you're conflating Linux with forced CLI application Hell.

B...But /g/ told me to install gentoo...
>>
>>60099259
No need to be a purist. I use i3, vscode, vim, thunar, etc. as needed.

you should probably just buy a surface.
>>
>>60099259
>Master Foo and the GUI advocate
One evening, Master Foo and Nubi attended a gathering of programmers who had met to learn from each other. One of the programmers asked Nubi to what school he and his master belonged. Upon being told they were followers of the Great Way of Unix, the programmer grew scornful.

“The command-line tools of Unix are crude and backward,” he scoffed. “Modern, properly designed operating systems do everything through a graphical user interface.”

Master Foo said nothing, but pointed at the moon. A nearby dog began to bark at the master's hand.

“I don't understand you!” said the programmer.

Master Foo remained silent, and pointed at an image of the Buddha. Then he pointed at a window.

“What are you trying to tell me?” asked the programmer.

Master Foo pointed at the programmer's head. Then he pointed at a rock.

“Why can't you make yourself clear?” demanded the programmer.

Master Foo frowned thoughtfully, tapped the programmer twice on the nose, and dropped him in a nearby trashcan.

As the programmer was attempting to extricate himself from the garbage, the dog wandered over and piddled on him.

At that moment, the programmer achieved enlightenment.
>>
>>60101396
This one's more relevant to the OP:

An experienced Unix programmer, hearing of Master Foo's wisdom, came to him for guidance. Approaching the Master, he bowed three times and said:

“Master Foo, I am gravely troubled. In my youth, those who followed the Great Way of Unix used software that was simple and unaffected, like ed and mailx. Today, they use vim and mutt. Tomorrow I fear they will use KMail and Evolution, and Unix will have become like Windows — bloated and covered over with GUIs.”

Master Foo said: “But what software do you use when you want to draw a poster?”

The programmer replied: “I...have never done that. But I am sure that I could use LaTeX or pic to accomplish it without GUIs, in the proper Unix way.”

Master Foo then said: “Which one will reach the other side of the river: The one who dreams of a raft, or the one that hitchhikes to the next bridge?”

Upon hearing this, the programmer was enlightened.
>>
File: 1457290198609-0.png (215KB, 500x720px) Image search: [Google]
1457290198609-0.png
215KB, 500x720px
>>60099259
>mixing up CLI with TUI
Maybe not a pasta, but still unoriginal. I use the the right tools for the jobs i have and all of them are available on Linux.
>>
>>60099259
>All typical file operations (moving, directory navigation, file retrieval+use) are more awkward using the command line
GNU Emacs
>>
>>60099259
>i'm too stupid to use CLI effectively
>it's everyone elses fault
so use gui then what is the problem?
>>
>>60101649
fucking this
>>
File: macstick.gif (2MB, 1920x1152px) Image search: [Google]
macstick.gif
2MB, 1920x1152px
>>60099318
keks
>>
>>60101721

No, CLI is just objectively worse. Suppose you use find to find a file, then you get the output. What next, you have to type out the path (with autocompletion), it's just shit.
>>
>>60101396

what the fuck
>>
>>60099259
Just use Windows 10 + Ubuntu on windows

>htop shows as MB on meter
>htop 2.0 shows as GB on meter
Fuck I should just use htop 1.x
>>
>>60099259
>I've been using it for years but Linux
It's GNU
>and the terminal are slowing me down
Actually it's pebcak and this will be made obvious shortly.
>All typical file operations (moving, directory navigation, file retrieval+use) are more awkward using the command line, except for rare cases like bulk operations.
This is the proof. GNU is not a terminal. GNU has more interfaces than terminal emulators. File operations are not the only operations. You are literally complaining that screwdrivers are slowing you down because it's so awkward to nail shit down with them.

>Vim is a decent text editor once you get used to it but it's not a real IDE: auto-completion of module/library definitions never worked for me (despite being "included"), code refactoring is impossible, and for every missing function there's a broken plugin to make your life even worse.
That's as retarded as pretending that microsoft word doesn't allow you to input text. This isn't pebcak territory anymore. This is something else entirely.
>(Office, Visio, etc.)
Even microsoft employees stay the fuck away from these. Calling them barebone, buggy and anti-productive would be complimenting them.
>Dia
You're not even trying anymore. I guess the reason windows is crap is because cryptolockers don't allow you to access your files, too.
> but you get what you pay for.
Chrome is free.

Overall, 3.5/10. Very solid start. However it too quickly devolves into obvious bait and never recovers. You can turn this into a 7.5/10 easily with a bit of work. Good show overall.
>>
>>60104182

suggest a better alternative to Dia then faggot
>>
>>60099259
>Beamer (about as fun as hammering nails in your feet when your presentation needs graphics and not math notation)

fight me nigger
>>
>>60104252
Graphviz
>>
>>60104252
yed
>>
>>60104317

I tried it, it was actually worse
>>
>>60104308

good joke
>>
>>60104350
better*
FTFY
More featureful than either dia and vizio and significantly more stable and intuitive.
>>
>>60101601
>jobs i have
>linux
It's nothing.
>>
File: average_wm_user.jpg (586KB, 1387x1300px) Image search: [Google]
average_wm_user.jpg
586KB, 1387x1300px
>>
>>60099651
>Thunar is terrible, for starters there's not even an easy way to map a key to the action of going up in the path
Literally Alt+up arrow

>MS Office...
>not using Latex
>>
>>60104350
>not writing your diagrams in dot
>>
>>60099301
bump
>>
>>60103968
If your terminal doesn't support copy-paste, get a better one.
>>
>>60099651
>had a huge clipart library

Spotted for shill or casual. Nobody who does real business work has any use for clipart other than once in a blue moon.
>>
>>60105465

Thanks! You saved me a lot of trouble.
>>
>>60106944
>using the mouse
>>
File: 1492121499473.jpg (463KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1492121499473.jpg
463KB, 600x450px
>>60104027
clearly not enlightened.
>>
>>60101396
GUI applications is not the same as touch interfaces.
Having a GUI means the user can get information about the work while working.

Vim has a GUI, even if it is a shitty one for anything other than editing over ssh.
But the graphical toolkit makes it slow and unusable unless you are okay with having the display catch up.

There is nothing wrong with using the best tool for the job.
Even if that means using a graphical tool over a terminal tool.
>>
>>60099259
I know this is just another bait thread but I'm having my morning coffee and have some time to spare.

I'm working as a Jr. linux sys admin and I can guarantee that most of the old sys admin here do not use these autistic setups. Most of them prefer Gnome or Gnome based DEs. I'm using KDE and i3 on a separate machine but that is just a personal preference.

Also, CLI is great and it has a purpose , if you are not setting up/troubleshooting servers/confs/logs then use a proper DE and stop acting as you need VIM for your homework when proper IDEs exist.

Windows has great "proprietary" counterparts because those devs are actually getting proper paychecks to develop their software and feed themselves.

All this shit you posted is hilarious.

Also, posting this from a glorious Windows 7 workstation along 2 dedicated Debian/Arch Linux workstations.
>>
xubuntu with win7 VM
>>
>>60099259
I use a gui on linux and code just fine
idiot..
>>
>>60108564
>All this shit you posted is hilarious.

How so when you just agreed with me.
>>
>>60109302
No, I did not agree with you.

You are using wrong setup for the task you need to complete.

You do not need a CLI workflow environment if you are not a system admin or working on a headless servers for the major part.

Use tools to get job done in a effective matter and that suits you. If the CLI isn't your thing just move to GUI and get the job done with few extra mouse clicks that won't impact your homework/project that much.

All that said, CLI is awesome and watching senior sys admins use it properly is just beautiful.
>>
>>60099558
exactly this! use the cmd where it makes sense and stick to your ide when you want to use an ide. same for file management. use linux the way it suits you and not following an pseudo elitism mantra. i use a tiling wm and a lot of terminal applications. but i also use fucking ide's and office tools as well as chrome.
get your shit together and stop bitching op you lame fuck!
>>
>>60099259
$0.05 has been deposited in your Microsoft Points account. Thank you for doing the needful and advocating for Microsoft Products online.
>>
>>60099259
OP is Watson.
>>
>>60099259
>got auto-complete of module/lib defenitions on vim working since i started using it
>not using latex for presentations like any decent human being
>browser on the terminal, i bet your image viewer was a terminal one too with rendering in ascii art.

Tl:dr: OP is too dumb and gone full retard.

Protit: never go full retard
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.