[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do I even need a VPN or anything like that to torrent whatever

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Do I even need a VPN or anything like that to torrent whatever I want? Got a slap on the hand by a previous ISP (Verizon) and now on TWC but im still paranoid to torrent anything. What's the worst that could happen?
>>
>>60086418
Depends a lot where you live, for example over here i can torrent whatever with a naked connection and no one gives a single fuck, on top of that the concept of datacaps are nonexistant
>>
twc never has sent me a thing, or maybe they are sending it to the email and i just don't see it since i lost the password.
>>
>>60086439
Live in Texas with no datacaps, should I just get BTGuard or something?
>>
It's only a few bucks a month for a VPN, basically no downside
>>
Just don't seed public trackers
>>
>>60086520
This is a fallacy
You are a "seed" when you actively download. The people who harvest IPs dont care if you sit and seed or not. As soon as you connect and upload any chunks to them you are on the list.
>>
>>60086583
What if you disable uploading?
>>
>>60086673
>What if you disable uploading?

Do you just not understand how torrents work on a basic level?
You jump from peer to peer to either download or upload chunks to and from each other.

Even if you disable uploading, you can still connect to them and get nabbed.
These people seed their own torrents.

Its why the whole "I just dont seed" doesnt make any difference. If they are honeypotting their torrent, you are in danger regardless of what you do.

Whether you could get into actual legal trouble is up in the air, but its still not "safe" regardless
>>
>>60086673
Next time you download something, go into your torrent client and click on the "peers" section and watch it. Youll see a bunch of IPs in cleartext with their client type and their country of origin. Youll see people pop in and out rather quickly. You can even enable your own IP logging in your client if you wanted to.
>>
>>60086974
I know how they work, you said "connect and upload" so I was asking if it was specific to that.
>>60087037
No fucking shit.
>>
>>60086488

This. Hell, there's a offer on the current Humble Bundle of 12 months of VPN access for less than $8. At worst, you waste a couple dollars on an unnecessary service, at best you've hidden your ass from the lawyers harvesting IP addresses.
>>
Just use XDCC to download movies.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.